Tiny little brown spots covering my leaves like dalmatians. Do these need to be cut out? Disease or pest?

• Thread starter TheCatman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheCatman

I'm currently growing a muchacha autoflower. I have two muchachas and two Durban sunrise in the same 4x4. Only this muchacha started this. A few days ago I noticed these brown spots all over the leafs. It seems like it kind of spread through the plant a bit I was worried about a pest so I've got some pure crop one that is a pesticide fungicide. I don't have the best examples anymore. But the leaves were so spotted they look like a Dalmatian. I'll try to add one more picture or a couple showing other leaves if I still have them also of all four of my plants. They were all low stress trained tied down. Only one of the Durban sunrises did not like that and immediately went into flower mode. Any idea about these brown spots all over the leaves. Do I need to cut the Leafs like that off the plant? Can it spread? Or do you think it was a past? There were a lot more spots than any of the leaves I've shown in this post. Those I cut off. But I'm wondering do I need to cut them all off?

Tiny little brown spots covering my leaves like dalmatians do these need to be cut out disease
Tiny little brown spots covering my leaves like dalmatians do these need to be cut out disease
Ponky

Ponky

It's a nutrient issue. Either a lockout or insufficiency. If it's a lockout you have to rinse out the salts. If it's lacking calcium I think it caused that issue. For further help list your feed program. I'm leaning toward lockout. So it's also important to know how much runoff volume you get when you water.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I'm currently growing a muchacha autoflower. I have two muchachas and two Durban sunrise in the same 4x4. Only this muchacha started this. A few days ago I noticed these brown spots all over the leafs. It seems like it kind of spread through the plant a bit I was worried about a pest so I've got some pure crop one that is a pesticide fungicide. I don't have the best examples anymore. But the leaves were so spotted they look like a Dalmatian. I'll try to add one more picture or a couple showing other leaves if I still have them also of all four of my plants. They were all low stress trained tied down. Only one of the Durban sunrises did not like that and immediately went into flower mode. Any idea about these brown spots all over the leaves. Do I need to cut the Leafs like that off the plant? Can it spread? Or do you think it was a past? There were a lot more spots than any of the leaves I've shown in this post. Those I cut off. But I'm wondering do I need to cut them all off?
My guess is you have overwatered in the past

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My guess is you have overwatered in the past
The plants look like they are in an over-watered state right now. See how the leaves curve down toward the soil in more of a arc shaped pattern. That happens because the leaves are heavy and swollen due to the inability to transpire properly. In the root zone, the lack of O2 causes sour soil issues (acidic soil issues) and deficiencies like calcium and magnesium begin to show up. Likely those elements are there but are being locked out.

Under-watered leaves point straight down, no arc.

The fix would be to first allow the plant to dry out, and then correct the watering practices.

VPD changes through out the seasons and watering successfully during one season might mean over-watering in a different more humid environment. It's a topic that's not well understood by many growers. However understanding VPD and how it relates to cannabis growth and your watering practices will instantly make you a better gardener ... even if you were a good one already.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

The plants look like they are in an over-watered state right now. See how the leaves curve down toward the soil in more of a arc shaped pattern. That happens because the leaves are heavy and swollen due to the inability to transpire properly. In the root zone, the lack of O2 causes sour soil issues (acidic soil issues) and deficiencies like calcium and magnesium begin to show up. Likely those elements are there but are being locked out.

Under-watered leaves point straight down, no arc.

The fix would be to first allow the plant to dry out, and then correct the watering practices.

VPD changes through out the seasons and watering successfully during one season might mean over-watering in a different more humid environment. It's a topic that's not well understood by many growers. However understanding VPD and how it relates to cannabis growth and your watering practices will instantly make you a better gardener ... even if you were a good one already.
I find the newest growth is the best indicator of issues,agreed to let them dry ,I would to almost wilt then go easy with water and nutes since roots are likely damaged to some extent.

Ponky

Ponky

The VPD thing is important with LEDs.

Mechman60

Mechman60

It's a nutrient issue. Either a lockout or insufficiency. If it's a lockout you have to rinse out the salts. If it's lacking calcium I think it caused that issue. For further help list your feed program. I'm leaning toward lockout. So it's also important to know how much runoff volume you get when you water.
As long as these leaves are still mostly intact they are still being an asset to the plant. It's not fungi or rust so imo I'd leave them alone until they yellow. A flush and restart might be the key.

Ponky

Ponky

As long as these leaves are still mostly intact they are still being an asset to the plant. It's not fungi or rust so imo I'd leave them alone until they yellow. A flush and restart might be the key.
No need to remove any leaves. I failed to consider root damage from over watering. Recovery time could be a week or more if that's the case. Tough to say what caused it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I would let them dry out first before doing that. Otherwise a gentle flush and a restart might get them heading in the right direction.

Consider using a wetting agent during the flush. You'll need to use a low strength and preferably a salts based nutrient mix right afterwards. I grow organically, but I do have salts based nutrients on hand. They can help with the restart process because the nutrients are already in a readily available state. .

T

TheCatman

Follow up question. Are you using distilled water?
I started with distilled water. Growing in Fox farm. Then I recently switched to just using spring water and bought a ph up and down set. I was using distilled water because of the low ph. Put in a cap full of my dad's well water would put it where I needed it. This is only my third grow really my second. My second time doing autoflowers. The first girl was a photo. Blue dream that my dad mainly took care of but I trained them. I trained to these pretty well I'm worried if I cut away those families the bud connected to it won't grow I'm not sure how that works. Looking at its sister plant right next to it that plant looks like a head of lettuce it is so thick. This one is very thinned out and I don't have the option to put outside. I'm worried that the brown spots are spreading. That one article that m I Grandpa said to remove all the leaves. I'm worried about how much but I will get from the plant after? When buds get those three leaves that come out of them and then start the single leaves are those leaves what are keeping it alive? For example I will point to a site where the leaf would be or wouldn't be cut off for example what would happen to that bud site if I cut off that family sitting there on my fingers coming away from it.?

T

TheCatman

Does it look anything like this?
I read your article now that has me worried because I full Italy yesterday or this morning on to another leaf and now that one has started getting spots. If this is from calcium I do have some calmag. I wonder if I should try to give it to it? If it's that fungal disease I'm screwed. As I am new to Growing I still have not completely learned how the plant works like let's say I cut the family off that's going to this Bud site will the other Leafs coming out of it keep the bud growing? I will point at an example of a leaf that might need to be removed and the blood site it goes to? What would happen in your opinion?

Mechman60

Mechman60

It looks nice to me but then a lot of people only post perfect plants. I'm sure you know more than I can tell you so thanks.

Mechman60

Mechman60

I read your article now that has me worried because I full Italy yesterday or this morning on to another leaf and now that one has started getting spots. If this is from calcium I do have some calmag. I wonder if I should try to give it to it? If it's that fungal disease I'm screwed. As I am new to Growing I still have not completely learned how the plant works like let's say I cut the family off that's going to this Bud site will the other Leafs coming out of it keep the bud growing? I will point at an example of a leaf that might need to be removed and the blood site it goes to? What would happen in your opinion?
Imo. If the leaf/solar panel is still producing more than its taking, even with non contagious lite damage..it's still bringing home the bacon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Imo. If the leaf/solar panel is still producing more than its taking, even with non contagious lite damage..it's still bringing home the bacon.
They don't look horrible. You don't have to have a perfect plant to enjoy a successful grow. A small tweak is all it needs to bring it into the next level. As it is, it will still be very good and with a good dry and cure no one will know that the plant had a few stresses in life.

I have had many successful grows but zero were problem free. I think most of us will say the same thing if we're being honest with each other.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Good chart, I have the exact one saved on my computer.

In my eyes this has been figured out. The OP has come very close to nailing it. A quick study of VPD and how to utilize it in a cannabis grow is really the difference here.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I have a few the same spots like this on clone I transplanted recently.

T

TheCatman

I feed it once weekly. I started feeding it with purple cows vegetable supercharger. Then when flowering more I've switched to floranova. And I'm growing a 60/40 mixture of Happy Frog and fox farm. Last time I was growing I did use distilled water for the whole time and it didn't really affect anything but I just screw the plants naturally. I didn't train them. I'm actually surprised with the amount of growth I have. But I used 5 gallons this time instead of three. If you're going to do an Autoflower definitely 5 gallons at least. I had some Cal Mag so I just gave it a little dose of that maybe that will help. I'm just still worried that it might be this fungus autoflowers get that spreads through the leaves. What I don't know is what happens when I cut off a family from a bud site. If it already has its own leaves coming from the bud will they just take over for it? Or will that kill the budsight? If I cut off that family sitting on my hand that originally started that point will it cease growing or will those other leaves make it continue? I'm still pretty new to this. I took a big risk by tying my plants over and training them. Especially with them being autoflowers. The best way to learn is by experience. Yet if it's your medication it's really hard to take that gamble. I can tell you that next time I'm definitely growing a photo. Strain and training them up really nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom