Tips and tricks for organic growing?

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

This will be my second year going organic, I took a long hiatus from growing and am getting back into it. I plan to have soil delivered and amend it with things like blood and bone meal. I will be growing in my garden outside. I ordered some Dutch Science nutrients to test out as well. Just wondering if any OG growers have any advice or suggestions? The whole reason I grow, aside from enjoying gardening, is so I know what I'm smoking. I've gotten a bag more than once that I couldn't even smoke because it gave me such a headache... I'm sensitive to chemicals and such. Last year I battled aphids and leaf hoppers, neem oil worked well, but what do you guys do for any pests that appear when you're far into flowering? My lady was almost done anyway when aphids decided to take up residence, so I chopped her and washed the buds. Does anyone have experience with companion planting, and what plants have you found that deter pests? Last year I planted some herbs around my girls, I just don't think I had enough. Any help is appreciated!

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would highly recommend looking into whether you can utilize AG-15 row cover for hoppers but also learn to make a soap/oil/water mix as a preventative for others (wont help with hoppers much). Bugs really don't like soap or oil but plants don't either so keep that in mind. I wouldn't spray anything in flower though. Maybe soap/oil the first few weeks but only if needed. The AG-15 also helps your lady from getting pregnant from a neighbors stud. wind blown pollen sucks IMO

Last edited:
Farmer88

Farmer88

Row cover will keep the insects that emerge outside the cover. Those that emerge under the cover will grow faster but applying an insecticidal soap and a sticker spreader like nufilm before covering will give you a head start. Use metal hoops under the row cover to give more room for growth before having to remove it and it limits the fabric rubbing and destroying growth tops.

A spray called my-cotrol is a bacterial based insecticide that can be applied later into flower to deal with mature insects. The efficacy of this product is a bit touch and go and the price point is high. Conditions need to be optimal for bacterial growth to flourish.

There are other bacterial based insecticides that will be more effective and less damaging durring the earlier stages of flower.

If you would like to stay away from sprays. Try planting a trap crop as far away from the planting area as possible to concentrate pest population in another location and can spray that crop and destory the crop afterwards.

Other options to pair with row cover is buying ladybugs to put under the row cover to deal with aphids. Or atemp breeding praying mantis but it's rather challenging.

Applying a torch to soil post primary tillage can also burn off fungal spores and insect eggs present from last season.

TSD

TSD

I would highly recommend looking into whether you can utilize AG-15 row cover for hoppers but also learn to make a soap/oil/water mix as a preventative for others (wont help with hoppers much). Bugs really don't like soap or oil but plants don't either so keep that in mind. I wouldn't spray anything in flower though. Maybe soap/oil the first few weeks but only if needed. The AG-15 also helps your lady from getting pregnant from a neighbors stud. wind blown pollen sucks IMO
Hoping not to have the hoppers in my garden, I had two different spots last year and they were only in the wooded area. I did use insecticidal soap as a preventative all through veg and early flower, but once they were maturing, I didn't want to taint them... that's when aphids thought they had found a bug hotel. I did actually have my girls in the woods get impregnated and was super pissed, luckily I noticed before the seeds had a chance to grow,, so I took the tweezers to her and removed the majority of seed pods. Never thought of trying a net, I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Last edited:
Farmer88

Farmer88

This is a good idea as well.

Also good preventative
Hoping not to have the hoppers in my garden, I had two different spots last year and they were only in the wooded area. I did use insecticidal soap as a preventative all through veg and early flower, but once they were maturing, I didn't want to taint them... that's when aphids thought they had found a bug hotel. Never thought of trying a net, I'll have to look into that, thanks!

Green lacewings will eat up your leaf hoppers but are also relatively challenging to cultivate. But easier than mantis.

TSD

TSD

Row cover will keep the insects that emerge outside the cover. Those that emerge under the cover will grow faster but applying an insecticidal soap and a sticker spreader like nufilm before covering will give you a head start. Use metal hoops under the row cover to give more room for growth before having to remove it and it limits the fabric rubbing and destroying growth tops.

A spray called my-cotrol is a bacterial based insecticide that can be applied later into flower to deal with mature insects. The efficacy of this product is a bit touch and go and the price point is high. Conditions need to be optimal for bacterial growth to flourish.

There are other bacterial based insecticides that will be more effective and less damaging durring the earlier stages of flower.

If you would like to stay away from sprays. Try planting a trap crop as far away from the planting area as possible to concentrate pest population in another location and can spray that crop and destory the crop afterwards.

Other options to pair with row cover is buying ladybugs to put under the row cover to deal with aphids. Or atemp breeding praying mantis but it's rather challenging.

Applying a torch to soil post primary tillage can also burn off fungal spores and insect eggs present from last season.
So I can tell my husband I need a flamethrower for my garden? Sweet🤣 The row cover might be a good idea because I could also use it for protection, we tend to have random early fall frosts here, had to get out and cover my girls a few times last year.a

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i scatter DE around and anything coming or going gets gone! i use only food grade (so no silica issue) and i also use it between rows. but i usually dont plant my garden with it, just forgetfulness im afraid, but first bug i see i use a mustard squirter and make a line around and up and down the rows. did not use it on my ladies, but again it is forgetfulness, and i havent seen a bug, so not used. but i do use it around the house for pest control, so it is all around here!

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

i scatter DE around and anything coming or going gets gone! i use only food grade (so no silica issue) and i also use it between rows. but i usually dont plant my garden with it, just forgetfulness im afraid, but first bug i see i use a mustard squirter and make a line around and up and down the rows. did not use it on my ladies, but again it is forgetfulness, and i havent seen a bug, so not used. but i do use it around the house for pest control, so it is all around here!
Mustard squirter is a good idea, that stuff is so messy. I use the Mustard squirter to spray my vinegar weed killer between my patio stones... who knew they could be so versatile lol.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
lol, i use them in cooking too! and i also found that i can make a treat thrower for the dog with one!

• Haha
Farmer88

Farmer88

So I can tell my husband I need a flamethrower for my garden? Sweet🤣 The row cover might be a good idea because I could also use it for protection, we tend to have random early fall frosts here, had to get out and cover my girls a few times last year.a

I feel like he will be receptive. Garden torches are readily available at most garden centers and attach to a small propane tank. Any size tank, small is just easier to carry. My friend down the street and I built a six row torch trailer for the tractor. It's mostly for top burn after seding carrots. But you can use it for any kind of feild burn application if necessary.

Sparky1980

Sparky1980

The leaf hoppers are killing me this year! Just yesterday I treated with a powdered spinosad organic insecticide, so hopefully it works. Can I cut off the damaged blades of some of the fan leaves that the leaf hoppers chewed up?

Farmer88

Farmer88

The leaf hoppers are killing me this year! Just yesterday I treated with a powdered spinosad organic insecticide, so hopefully it works. Can I cut off the damaged blades of some of the fan leaves that the leaf hoppers chewed up?

You can try releasing lady beetles or green lacewings. In a hoop it works great. Out in the feild its a crap shoot.

Top Bottom