Tired of no-pops from seed companies-vent

• Thread starter HunterBrandon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I would have but I was battling a advanced case of heart disease and diabetes that was out of control. That I knew nothing about. I was still working and my days were 12 hours long. Just didn't do any clones. I had a widow makers heart attack and emergency open heart surgery in early August last year. The plant finished in early July. My current grow 6 weeks in is my first since the heart attack. and is the longest I've went without a active grow in decades. She was a classic long legged crazy girl that completely owned her grow space. :)

View attachment 1234988

Sorry to hear about the heart attack, I hope you've recovered well.

Nice plant, she looks pretty wild. I never got to smoke that, it was a bit before my time but I did have the infamous Christmas Bud from the 90's and now sadly it has faded to myth and legend for me as well as countless others. If anybody thought so much of Columbian gold at the time to have been breeding it all this time, they could have made a fortune today with a seed everyone would love to try. Unfortunately, the breeders from that time let a true legend die because they thought the next strain was better in some way. In fact, apparently all the breeders felt that way at the time, unfortunately. Strains are changing because people don't care to preserve a trait until it becomes rare or extinct.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

I'm learning the hard way that seed banks are mainly a rip off. Why is the "no pop" ratio so high with expensive "store bought" seeds while my own seeds that I breed pop almost 100%???

Purchased from MSNL: 10 pack of NYC Deisel - Not one popped, 10 pack of Northern Lights - only 2 popped, one male one female, 10 pack of Super Skunk - Not one popped. Most of the rest of the order did pop plus the free seeds.

Just purchased 3 pack of Hawaiian Snow from Green House Seed Co (through North Atlantic Seed Co), all three no pop.

Not only is this a huge waste of money but the time it takes to find out over and over they're duds really pisses me off.

I did not have this problem in the old days when I ordered from Nirvana. No duds ever.

Take a look at this seed pack from Green House Seed Co. There was no label on the pack so how did they know what these were? Supposedly Hawaiin Snow but doesn't matter what they were because not one popped. Also says since 1985. Maybe selling seeds from 1985 is too old.

View attachment 1213219View attachment 1213220

And another thing. Why are all store bought seeds little tiny wimpy mini seeds? I have never ever once since I started growing again, received what I would consider to be a healthy seed. Big with tiger stripes sometimes, like my breeds. Never ever from a seed co. They are all tiny underdeveloped looking seeds, every one, every seed company. There's no excuse for this and the fact that they send them out the door is criminal.

I'm going to conclude that the seed industry is no longer viable, and all seed companies are rip offs.
Yeah I only trust 1 or 2 breeders the rest are shady cocksuckers looking to make some easy cash and they could careless if they are bad seeds .

growsince79

growsince79

Nice plant, she looks pretty wild. I never got to smoke that, it was a bit before my time but I did have the infamous Christmas Bud from the 90's and now sadly it has faded to myth and legend for me as well as countless others. If anybody thought so much of Columbian gold at the time to have been breeding it all this time, they could have made a fortune today with a seed everyone would love to try. Unfortunately, the breeders from that time let a true legend die because they thought the next strain was better in some way. In fact, apparently all the breeders felt that way at the time, unfortunately. Strains are changing because people don't care to preserve a trait until it becomes rare or extinct.
Still plenty of landrace Colombian strains in Colombia. The problem is it doesn't grow well indoors, or outdoors at higher latitudes.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Still plenty of landrace Colombian strains in Colombia. The problem is it doesn't grow well indoors, or outdoors at higher latitudes.
Some of those wild strains will do just fine in captivity. BUT,,, true sativa's regardless of origin/location are nasty wild girls to grow. There like teenage girls with raging hormones. As a father of three girls sativas taught me enough that my daughters lived through puberty. They can be truly insane plants that will drive many growers crazy. The stuff I've seen them do would have the forums lit up like crazy. I've seen them literally fall over dead. Just die,,, instant plant death. I wish I had some landstrain sativa seeds to pop for the first grow in the 2x4 tent. So I'm going to do the best I can with some Alaskan Thunder Fuck. I've never grown it or smoked it. So this should be a fun first grow in the new setup.

sambapati

sambapati

Bro, friend keep calm, yes it is better to buy from breeder than bank, however you must learn to germanate correctly, first I put beans in a cup of warm water I put in a couple drops of Botanacare pro grow, put cup in dark warm place till seeds sink, then put a thin paper towel on plate, put beans on towel, add another thin towel ie generic paper towels bc they are thin and don't use dye or scent, if you were to use bounty it would soak up water, I save the water in the cup with the few drops of Botanacare, put beans on towel put another towel over beans add water from cup, put in a dark warm spot, keep an eye on them so the don't dry out and in 24 hours your beans should have germanated, I have even germanated beans from 2016, if you grow autoflowers I suggest you buy your beans from Methisto open every Monday 3pm est but be logged in bc they sell out fast, this week Pink Panama is back, there are 2 legitimate seed banks I use Crop King USA and Nirvana, rarely had any problems,.
How about kraft brown coffee filters? No dye and really thin. I've had luck with them. Yes to everything else you say above Edinburgh -- you know of what you speak

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

There are plenty of breeders that sell Colombian Gold seeds and crosses. USC, RSC, Tropical, etc. CG is also a main component of Haze, which obviously has plenty of crosses.

HippiHemuli

HippiHemuli

9 years growing and never had no pop issues for any breeder (mostly EU breeders) like 5 of 100 not popped. Yes they dont look always big tiger shapes seeds but still popped. Only issue for me these days seeds from some breeders they herm pretty easily. Few years ago i growed place where was light leak like 24/7 but still never got any hermies. Now its seem if they get 5min light leak someone herm 😀

Microstraincollector

Microstraincollector

9 years growing and never had no pop issues for any breeder (mostly EU breeders) like 5 of 100 not popped. Yes they dont look always big tiger shapes seeds but still popped. Only issue for me these days seeds from some breeders they herm pretty easily. Few years ago i growed place where was light leak like 24/7 but still never got any hermies. Now its seem if they get 5min light leak someone herm 😀
This is more my feelings... Less in seed quality and more in rushed to market unstable genetics... Germination isn't usually an issue.

Rudolf

Rudolf

Hi, noob here. I used my buddies seeds and 90% of them didn’t pop, but my seeds from Seed Fair did, for what it’s worth.

NDewThyme

NDewThyme

Anyone try Premium Seed Market? Very reasonably priced. US based. No Fems or Autos. So far -- everything we have grown has been great. Even the 2 year old seeds. (Been saving some pollen also from desirable males and making own blended seed supply ;o)

Wieczorekfloorz

Wieczorekfloorz

Nice bro that's how I started. Then I got into breeding. Now have 3 stable strains. Growing str8 fire been doing testers and f1 freebies for people who wanna have a pheno hunt. I got addicted and fell down the rabbit hole. Now I got critical banger,,, gruntz. And chaotic kush and very new so far my first 5 customers are happy as fuck I'm hands on I give peoe my cell number I'm not a fly by knight or seed scammer I want my genetics spread I want people to come back why would I see dudas check me out bro. https://chaotic-genetics.company.site/

Wieczorekfloorz

Wieczorekfloorz

Anyone try Premium Seed Market? Very reasonably priced. US based. No Fems or Autos. So far -- everything we have grown has been great. Even the 2 year old seeds. (Been saving some pollen also from desirable males and making own blended seed supply ;o)
Tried the.i haven't sprouted them yet

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I find it best to buy directly from the breeder if possible. Probably going to get the freshest beans that way. Who knows how long some of these seed vendors keep these packs before they sell them, I'm sure in some cases it's years.
But even when you get the seeds to pop its not like your guaranteed to find a keeper. I have popped hundreds of beans from a fair bit of different breeders and I'd say the nice plant rate is maybe 10 %(maybe I'm just picky) some breeders are probably higher than others but it takes a long time to pop enough seeds to find definite keepers.

It's definitely fun to pop seeds to find that epic plant but I need to make sure I have enough of my keeper's to keep me smoking while I try new flavours to find another special plant.
I have ran through a many a packs with no keepers...talk about frustrating and time wasting.
First time it happened I wasn't to impressed(DNA Purple Kush)and made sure I always had the goods to keep me going while searching other packs.

The last pheno hunt I popped around 40 seeds and I think 5 or 6 didn't pop. 4 of which was from one pack
Out of those 40 beans ended up with 1 nice plant
Year before did same thing a couple more plants I think, same result 1 nice plant.
Popping seeds is fun and all but it really is time consuming and if you don't end up with a real nice keeper it's real frustrating to have a bunch of smoke you don't enjoy.

dbrzz

dbrzz

I tend to get 90 - 100% germ rates, but have never used the seed sellers or breeders you mentioned.
I have had 100% germination rate so far. However, I had a few plants fail during the grow.
I think germination technique affects more failures than the quality of the seed IMHO. Use spring water to germinate always! Its magical elixir for seeds.

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Yea i had same issue. Bought some pure kush seeds off of seedsman.com 1 of 5 popped. Had couple other packs not pop too. They wouldnt replace cause it had been over 30 days since purchase.

Top Bottom