To follow Canucks Grow or not

• Thread starter Gurtgurt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Hi buddies,

After growing in soil for a long time I'm trying coco. I have FF Cultivation Nation 70/30. My seeds have just sprouted.

I was planning on following Canucks YouTube Grow using coco, EWC, and dry amendments. I will be watering by hand, which he does in this method, giving only plain pH'ed water. This is all the level of automation I can do at this point.

I'm at the point where I'm about to buy dry fertilizer and would like to entertain some different methods that might be as easy as Canucks Grow and maybe work better. I'm basically just about to start and can use any method.

I bought mycorrhizae and plenty of EWC in preparation. My lights are not very powerful, about 400w LED board. I don't have a good digital ph EC meter as of now.

Anyone care to add $.02? I think I get that with coco it's either organic in the media or inorganic, with inorganic/hydroponic winning with growth rates. Like I sez I never used coco before.

Thanks ants. Thants.

PrimoClonesCanada

PrimoClonesCanada

Supporter
I would recommend pro mix instead of coco when mixing in organic dry fertilizer, I think it's easier to deal with watering and such, and less chance of problems.
I think with coco you might have to water multiple times a day whereas promix you water once every few days give or take

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

I would recommend pro mix instead of coco when mixing in organic dry fertilizer, I think it's easier to deal with watering and such, and less chance of problems.
I think with coco you might have to water multiple times a day whereas promix you water once every few days give or take
I'm trying a new thing with coco and would like to keep the medium. I don't mind watering daily. I bought an air pump to bubble water for this project.

Canucks actually grows with full Gaia Green lineup now - including the GG Living Soil and nutrient line.

So yes +1 to stick with ProMix or similar peat based mediums
šŸ˜‚ How come everything I do is WRONG???

growsince79

growsince79

Hi buddies,

After growing in soil for a long time I'm trying coco. I have FF Cultivation Nation 70/30. My seeds have just sprouted.

I was planning on following Canucks YouTube Grow using coco, EWC, and dry amendments. I will be watering by hand, which he does in this method, giving only plain pH'ed water. This is all the level of automation I can do at this point.

I'm at the point where I'm about to buy dry fertilizer and would like to entertain some different methods that might be as easy as Canucks Grow and maybe work better. I'm basically just about to start and can use any method.

I bought mycorrhizae and plenty of EWC in preparation. My lights are not very powerful, about 400w LED board. I don't have a good digital ph EC meter as of now.

Anyone care to add $.02? I think I get that with coco it's either organic in the media or inorganic, with inorganic/hydroponic winning with growth rates. Like I sez I never used coco before.

Thanks ants. Thants.
Get a bag of cocoloco and hf dry amendments. Nothing else needed. Do not water daily. Water as you would soil.

MercDod

MercDod

Can you link his video? I got started on a Seed to Stoned video (
). I say if its what you want to do than you should try it. If you screw up try again.
Good Luck.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Boy timing is everything and yours couldnā€™t be betterā€¦..I am also growing some new plants in 70/30 and using dry amendments.
I used to grow years ago outdoors and had amazing luckā€¦..Iā€™d say I was luckier than good but for 8-9 yrs in a row I harvested at least 4-5 plants with big baseball bat colas. Thatā€™s not bad Considering I would visit them once every 2-3 weeks and the wildlife was eating up everyone elseā€™s plants but mineā€¦.but I digress.
Back to the topic at handā€¦ā€¦I decided to get back into growing last yr and have completed a couple of auto grows using Ocean Forest. The results have been OK but I really wanted to see what I could do in Coco.
Roughly 4 weeks ago I put three regulator fem photoperiod seedlings into a mix of 70/30, Gaia Green 4-4-4, kelp meal, EWC, and small amt of high nitrogen bat guano. The exact ratios escape me but I went lighter than the suggested 3tbsp/gal of Gaia Green because I was also adding bat guano and kelp.
The only offbeat step I took was mixing everything and watering it slowly then hand mixing it so it would be consistently moist before transplanting the plant. I let it sit for one day before dropping in the plants.
Lemme tell U, the growth has been phenomenalā€¦..under a single HLG 320 r-spec LED these plants are outgrowing my space.
I currently have two very dinky autos that are a week or so from finishing and I plan to flip to 12/12 once they are out of the space.
Iā€™ve watered every other day with tap water thatā€™s around 144ppm. I ph it down from 7.2 or 7.3 to 6.2-6.3. When I water itā€™s impossible to not get some runoff but they get a little over a gallon each, theyā€™re in 5 gal pots. Iā€™ll then collect the runoff and slowly water some more.
For the microbial aspect Iā€™ve been using Stump Tea about once or twice a week.
Man I donā€™t know if things are gonna come crashing down once they go into flower but so far so good.
Iā€™ve topped each plant several times and taken way more leaves off than you can imagine. Iā€™m kinda going for the lollipop technique and stripping the bottom half.
The pics are from last week and donā€™t do the plants justiceā€¦..theyā€™ve been defoliated again since the pic and have gotten even fuller. Keep in mind they sprouted on May 26-27 so theyā€™re only 40ish days old.
The plan is to top dress w/ Gaia Green 2-8-4 and EWC Once they hit the 30 day mark in the current mix. They should be flipped by then but I may still add some of the Gaia Green 4-4-4 for the first top dressing.
Iā€™m guessing Iā€™ll need to top dress every 2-3 weeks but who knows?
Iā€™m happy to share my success or failure with you and maybe you can learn something from it.
Sorry for the long replyā€¦and have a good day.
By the way, in the pic youā€™ll see the 2 stunted autos but on the far left is a Jack Herer, middle is a Gelato OG and far right is an Amnesia.
45180A1F 35A4 48FF 8DA5 D66B3F72E78A

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Hi buddies,

Thanks ants. Thants.
Canuck has since moved on to living soil. I too was inspired by him and have been rocking a similar style ever since. I use roots organics terp tea dry amendment line with some recharge, kelp extract, EWC, and a few others but thatā€™s basically it. Top dress a tablespoon per gallon of soil at the beginning of flower and then about halfway thru do it again. Iā€™ve had great results using this method with normal size plants. The big plant Iā€™m growing now got hungrier sooner tho but for the most part Iā€™ve been able to get a nice amount of grows under the belt with little to no deficiencies.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'd like to suggest using Roots Organic (Terp Tea) Microbe Charge over the Recharge. I'm making this suggestion based on price. Both products are very effective at doing the same thing and one costs significantly less.

Gurtgurt

Gurtgurt

Bullmark: what you describe is what Canucks has done for a long while. Coco, EWC, and 2 types of dry amendments. Top dress with EWC and dry amendments. He feeds plain water and dies not use perlite, which I am. Someone above asked for videos: most of his most popular videos are using this method.

Basically at this point all I have left is to buy fertilizer/amendments and have new seedlings.

For the record I'm not blown away with Canucks Grow. He seems just a little more experienced than me but has nice cameras and editing software. Awful taste in music though. I just like the start to finish video format.

Impulsive & MIgramp: all I can ever seen to grow is small plants. I'm trying 5 plants in 4x4ft tent. Thank you for the recommendations. I will choose what I can based on price. I only have one bag of 70/30 to use right now (22Liter?).

I've only ever done soil before. I'm not disciplined enough nor have enough money for a hydro setup. This seems sort of in between. I'm just hoping a new method will make things FASTER. At this point I'd rather use something organic that has lots of things in it than buying a bunch of specialty chemicals.

Oh yeah no fancy pH pen right now. I'm using DROPS which I type in CAPS

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

I started out PHā€™ing my water down to 6.0 and they grew like mad. Only after reading more about the coco/dry organic process did I take it up to 6.2/6.3. I think youā€™ll be fine with anything in that 5.9-6.5 range.
Also early on I watered too heavily and I got a ton of runoff that was incredibly highā€¦.meaning my amendments were being leeched out before use.
I pulled back on the water and every other day seems to be a good spot to keep the coco moist. 1-1.25 gals gets the entire 5 gal pot good and soaked with a small amount of runoff.
Iā€™m sure once they hit mid flower theyā€™ll be drinking lots more but for now that seems to be the sweet spot.
Itā€™s all kind of an experiment and with any luck Iā€™ll manage to keep them healthy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi buddies,

Thanks ants. Thants.
I've also considered going with Coco but I can't afford the learning curves inevitable fk ups. I'm sure after 3-4 grows I could learn the process well enough to get where I'm at now with Promix type soils........but I can now grow well enough to keep me with a supply of meds and I don't need the stress of going back to school....I'm too old for that shit.......They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks that applies X 2 for a stoned old dog.šŸ˜
šŸ˜

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Canuck has since moved on to living soil. I too was inspired by him and have been rocking a similar style ever since. I use roots organics terp tea dry amendment line with some recharge, kelp extract, EWC, and a few others but thatā€™s basically it. Top dress a tablespoon per gallon of soil at the beginning of flower and then about halfway thru do it again. Iā€™ve had great results using this method with normal size plants. The big plant Iā€™m growing now got hungrier sooner tho but for the most part Iā€™ve been able to get a nice amount of grows under the belt with little to no deficiencies.
How do you water? Meaning whatā€™s your PH and how oftenā€¦..
I have a cheap soil moisture probe that I use for making sure the entire medium is getting waterā€¦.but even after 2 days everything but the top 3/4ā€ or so of the coco is still reading moist. So rather than water daily and wash out my amendments I moved to every other day and the plants havenā€™t missed a beat.
I was just curious how others handle watering with the same style.

Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Can I ask what is your ph range? I started out at 6.0, then saw where Mr C was at 6.4/6.5ā€¦ā€¦so I upped mine.
The only difference Iā€™ve spotted is the new growth is a shade too yellowā€¦.Iā€™ve been told thatā€™s from either a calcium def or the ph being too high.
What is your take ?? Thanks for the help.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Can I ask what is your ph range? I started out at 6.0, then saw where Mr C was at 6.4/6.5ā€¦ā€¦so I upped mine.
The only difference Iā€™ve spotted is the new growth is a shade too yellowā€¦.Iā€™ve been told thatā€™s from either a calcium def or the ph being too high.
What is your take ?? Thanks for the help.
Iā€™ve never owned a ph pen as the soil and microbes act as a buffer. I use distilled, RO, Rain water. I just mix my microbes and micronutrients in and water. Hereā€™s a seed run I just started and they are into the first week of flower. You donā€™t have to ph with organics unless you got some super unstable tap water youā€™re using. I just up potted to fresh soil in the 3 gallon pot, top dressed 3 tablespoons of Terp tea bloom and sent it. I get pretty good results with this method but have found bigger plants demand much more top dressing.
172F0D2C 82E2 43C6 AF6D F09811E6E5BC

Latest posts

Top Bottom