To much power exhaust fan problem!

• Thread starter Johnnygrowz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

Hey how are yall?
I purchased this fan . https://canfilters.com/product/can-fan-q-max-12-inch/

I originally thought i was gonna use a bigger room but ended up closing it off to a smaller cfm then originally expected. I kinda cant return the fan now .

I also have a carbon filter similar size cfm running as well. When i run the fan its way to strong and humidity goes down quite fast. To much for the optimal conditions i want .

I have tried to connect a vivosun speed controller from amazon but it still doesnt slow dowm enough and i get a humming sound . Which i believe isnt good for the motor from what ive been reading .

I came up with another idea which seems to work for now . I got some garbage bags andnjust covered up the carbon filter to reduce the suction . I know it isnt ideal but i duno what else i can do .

As of now im in week 4 of veg and just running oscillating fans and keeping a window open for some fresh air exchange . Have been reading heavy on variacs and rheostats etc. I duno what i can do at this point?

Any thought would be muchly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That fan looks like it's about the best on the market! however when I looked it up I did notice this, so I'm wondering if the Vivosun control you have isn't the correct pairing? not sure but I thought I'd pass this along anyway, hope it works out, good luck
Screenshot 20201101 055932 Photo Editor

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
That fan looks like it's about the best on the market! however when I looked it up I did notice this, so I'm wondering if the Vivosun control you have isn't the correct pairing? not sure but I thought I'd pass this along anyway, hope it works out, good luck
View attachment 1050512
+1 ...those vivosun speed controllers are crap. All they do is repeatedly turn on and on the appliance...its really bad for the life of the fans...def avoid.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

+1 ...those vivosun speed controllers are crap. All they do is repeatedly turn on and on the appliance...its really bad for the life of the fans...def avoid.

I haven’t found a Fan speed controller Under $30 that works like it should.

RR1

RR1

For now I would just tape off half the intake until I got a better controller. Thats exactly why I only buy variable speed blowers with the controller built in. I can adjust for conditions.
Good luck,
RR1

Madmax

Madmax

View attachment 1050512
You hit the nail on the head...same happened to me but different extraction fan and controller..wasnt compatible..just wouldnt let it idle right down..that things huuge .

Last edited:
Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

So im currently running the carbon filter almost covered 80% to achieve a humidity of around 60 to 65 % humidity. My plants are finally lookin perky leaves and look to be growin better with the air exhange.

My only worry is i understand the vivosun is continuously starting and stopping the fan at a rapid speed to slow the fan. And this is not good for the motor in the long run obviously. But my budget is tapped and i am going to save up 300 for the correct controller made for it i guess? I know 300 can get me a new 1000 cfm fan which would be perfect instead sighhh

After all my research i read going bigger would be more beneficial... lol screwed myself.

Is there any other alternatives besides this???
:*(

Screenshot 20201101 152127 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20201101 201112 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20201101 153531 Samsung Internet
Madmax

Madmax

How bigs your room brother..im ru ning a 710 cfm in a 5x5 using 2 inkirds

Galvatron

Galvatron

How about splitting the output from the fan and letting some of the exhaust recirculate back into the room?

Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

Im gettin smell running like this with the carbon filter 95% covered up. Dumb right? Help

Madmax

Madmax

Yes it will work great.you always go bigger filter so the fan is not restricted...i have a fresh fan that comes with a fan speed controller..

What are you getting your temps up to.i use a humidifier in veg room..i think mine was dropping to 40 something %..i think you might have to use some sort of heating to slow the drop. In temp.

Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

Yeah but is 1100 fan 1700 cb filter cool? Even ran at half speed?

Anthem

Anthem

The size of the fan is pretty much correctly sized for the 18' x 13' x 7'. Totally cubic feet is 1638. So a fan pulling 1709 Cubic Feet a Minute (CFM) is going to provide an air exchange about every minute. Right in line with green house recommendations. But you have a humidity problem. I see 2 fixes.
#1. find a mechanical supply store on line and get what is called a Y. I would get a Y with a smaller duct. Base the duct on the CFM's of the new room size and use it as a percentage of the total air moved. Lets say you get a 12" x 10" x 8" Y. The 8" is going to pull about 44 percent of the total of 1709 CFM. Let the 10" side blow back into the room. Also remove the cover on the filter, this is as bad or worse for the motor than that POS Visosun control that starts and stops the motor.
#2. option would be to just run the fan the way it is intended and purchase a humidifier, but I do not see a small appliance store humidifier keeping up.
Option 1 is probably going to work out the best. Do some homework and figure out the rough numbers and you should be fine.

Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

The size of the fan is pretty much correctly sized for the 18' x 13' x 7'. Totally cubic feet is 1638. So a fan pulling 1709 Cubic Feet a Minute (CFM) is going to provide an air exchange about every minute. Right in line with green house recommendations. But you have a humidity problem. I see 2 fixes.
#1. find a mechanical supply store on line and get what is called a Y. I would get a Y with a smaller duct. Base the duct on the CFM's of the new room size and use it as a percentage of the total air moved. Lets say you get a 12" x 10" x 8" Y. The 8" is going to pull about 44 percent of the total of 1709 CFM. Let the 10" side blow back into the room. Also remove the cover on the filter, this is as bad or worse for the motor than that POS Visosun control that starts and stops the motor.
#2. option would be to just run the fan the way it is intended and purchase a humidifier, but I do not see a small appliance store humidifier keeping up.
Option 1 is probably going to work out the best. Do some homework and figure out the rough numbers and you should be fine.

Super appreciate youre input. I think thats about all i can try really...

But to save some headache and money i just bought a cheap 1100 cfm fan . Will this be appropiate for my set up with the 1700 cfm carbon filter?

The fan is ordered and on the way . Guess ill have to put away the qmax monster for a bigger project oneday.

Johnnygrowz

Johnnygrowz

That guy is comin hopefully the pos vivosun will be able to run it properly. If not anyone suggest a better controller to stop the humming?

Anthem

Anthem

That guy is comin hopefully the pos vivosun will be able to run it properly. If not anyone suggest a better controller to stop the humming?
what is the size of your grow room? I know you mentioned you shrunk it. Also I would not buy that fan but get one with a speed controller built in.

Top Bottom