To Or Not To Trim Fan Leaves In Flower

• Thread starter DANKGROWER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

So I've got some ladies in flower and i have read both you can and you can't trim fan leaves in flower...seems to be an ongoing debate!!! So I'm asking the farm what would you do and why?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
If its something you've grown before and you know it's stable,and can handle stress,a few upper fan leaves to allow light to lower sites ok. But if it's a new strain in your garden, less stress is best. And I'm a believer that zero stress in early flower is best. Good luck.
Peace

seaslug

seaslug

I'm usually growing small bushes and I only trim stuff for access to the Blumat drippers. Why not let that photosynthesis engine fire on all cylinders?

I'm not growing for yield but I grew SCROG once and the fan leaf question kind of works itself out--if it's down in the dark it gets cut.

H

happy b

When you remove leaves during flowering to let light at certain bud site,s i have heard that although the buds that get the light will get bigger than they would if the leaves hadnt been removed,supposedly the over all yeild will be less than it would have been if the leaves hadnt been removed.no doubt that would be true if you removed loads of leaves but i dont think removing the odd fan leaf here and there makes much difference1!.i always try to tuck leaves out the way before i would remove them.it depends on the plant i suppose.some have loads of fan leaves and some dont have that many.

Bannacis

Bannacis

The first couple weeks into flowering is when she starts to stretch and almost double in size, removing some leaves at this time will be ok. normally I would have lolly popped them before setting flower. and even at the last week or two I have removed leaves so more light can reach the lower buds.

H

happy b

When im cropping and training a plant to grow like im going to scrog it out(i dont actually use a net)i remove every leave that blocks a growing shoot when its in veg to get to grow like this in bloom.
20150109 232426
but i usually dont remove any in bloom.

H

happy b

Nice lady...can you take a pic of the cola next to a soda can or something for size reference?
I sure will bud . I'm not at my grow right now so I will take a few snaps when I get back . It's about 24/30 inches across I would guess if that helps . the colas arnt huge but theyr fairly dense . Here's a pic of a different pheno from the same strain that wasn't trained . It's going to turn out all wispy and shit and not going to yield much
20150126 085515

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

20150126 142324
Green crack^
20150126 142356

Here's my desert diesel I topped twice and lollipop it week 1 of flower...she has about 3 weeks to go til harvest...the thing to me happy b is your looks dense and fuller.I'm on my third grow and my only problem is yield...quality is great. I just need some tips and hints in training...

DANKGROWER

DANKGROWER

I sure will bud . I'm not at my grow right now so I will take a few snaps when I get back . It's about 24/30 inches across I would guess if that helps . the colas arnt huge but theyr fairly dense . Here's a pic of a different pheno from the same strain that wasn't trained . It's going to turn out all wispy and shit and not going to yield muchView attachment 479483
Has she had any training?

H

happy b

Yes she had plenty of topping, super cropping & bending plus tied down in places . what I do is i top it once it has 4/5 nodes and just keep pinching out the very top shoot of every growing shoot with at least one set of nodes beneath and just keep pulling the branches gently outwards opening up your plant so that instead of a plant that's grown straight up its like a flat canopy of shoots . then trim up the bottom branches,tie down the highest branches so that theyr lower than the other shoots to spread the hormones out to bring the lower shoots into play and just keep pinching,super cropping and tieing down stems until you get the plant into the desired shape . here's a pic of the bigger synergy from the pic in my second post a a week or so before flip.i still havnt lollipopped it yet in this pick but the bottom 2/3 comes off.and after about 2 weeks bloom and im still pulling branches into position.
20141207 014437
20141218 221639

H

happy b

And I forgot about my sicmeds green crack . the buds on this are huge for my grow room . its @ 7 wks bloom . this plant has turned more purple than any other strain iv grown ever . It smells like undiluted or unconcentrated diluting pineapple juice or maybe a really fruity cough sweet . I can't wait to try her.
20150124 092641
20150124 092729

philly kush

philly kush

Yo happy b,,,,, love the purp on her she looks nice n tasty. As for removing leaves i remove about 80% of the fan leaves & lollipop bottom branches so i don't get any larf 1wk before flip on all strains, i never have any problems, i only remove leaves in flower that don't look happy

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

To avoid putting a plant in full bloom from shock, just take it easy and take off one leave per day dep on how big it is maybe two per day. I hope you know what I mean.

Top Bottom