Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV)?!?!? Need confirm before I destroy crop

• Thread starter Buddin Buddy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Hi I got a problem a few weeks ago and couldn't work it out. Not by far my first crop, in 15yrs thought I'd pretty much seen every problem but this seems like the worst.

Went on a long research binge and figure I probably have TMV but need a 2nd opinion before destroying crop.

So I'm about 3-4 weeks into a Barneys Gorilla Skittles growth stage 20/4 cycle but have had them on 24hrs for a few weeks of this issue. Im doing 9 plants in 30L alien easyfeed pot system, in a 1.5m x 1.5m tent under an OCL 1000w MH light running at 600w. Using bcuzz coco feed on a very weak feed, tho ec of coco was 2.5 or something I think out of the bag.

Anyway I started to get this problem of tacoing leaves going extremely closed, effected leaves turning dark green and bubbling, eventually drying out and falling off. I figured at first it was over watering causing root problems as the easyfeed system you feed from the top until plant established. So I let them dry out, no improvement. I figured it was maybe humidity, or maybe heat stress, or the fans blowing on plants, temperature of the soil. Nothing changed I tried to fix. I figured it maybe bugs but nope. So then must be ph or high neuts and flushed the soil. Nothing has changed this problem, just overly sensitive plants maybe?

it appeared to slow and I think the plant is recovering then more leaves start tacoing again. Some plants are worse than others but they're all infected. One maybe more resistant than the others idk.

Anyway when I tried to figure out what it was I came across an article with exactly the same picture of the problem I was having and read it all, explaining tobacco mosaic virus (TMV), something I've never had before. Ive been dealing with this problem since transplant, like 3 weeks now, and if it is TMV then it's basically not worth continuing the crop especially as I'm not even into flowering yet, and at this state it'll probably never will be a very good yielded anyway

So I guess I'm asking if someone can have a look at the pictures and put me out of my misery and confirm it likely is TMV or not before I destroy them and I'm wrong. This would be the first crop I've ever given up on.

Thanks.

Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 2
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 3
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 4
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 5
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 6
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 7
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 8
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 9
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 10
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 11
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 12
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 13
Tobacco mosaic virus tmv need confirm before i destroy crop 14
Badchoice

Badchoice

Had the same problem at early stages, had to fix light distance, humidity, and fix the heat pockets from room design and get the air flow a little better but not to much for wind burn. Easy fix in a way

94D61A33 5981 4AB1 AA20 71F7BC0A65FF
Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Did u spray them with anything during lights on? What kind of light? And how close is your light.

Light is a single 1000w MH double ended bulb (I usually use HPS) on a 600w setting (I.e dimmed) and at top of tent (1.8m high), well over 1m from plants. I did spray then with a bug spray soon after transplant as I always do this as a preventative measure on every crop but I've never had this issue with any plants before because of it, I've never done this strain before either. Temps are 24-26oC and RH has been 50-60 on average.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

I believe he's agreeing with the other replies.

There seems to be some question about whether TMV infects Cannabis at all. The pictures I've seen online of supposed TMV infections don't look like this.

Maybe its hemp/broad/russet mites then as I cannot see them without 60x microscope apparently.

Cracken

Cracken

I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed. have you tried spraying the leaves with just plan water and give them a good soak. the soil looks pretty dry on the top but it appears that you have a bottom feed system. make sure that the top of the pot is also getting some water. you say you have run this before, so look for something that has changed since last crop, ie. strain, temp, water, nutes, lights.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I believe he's agreeing with the other replies.

There seems to be some question about whether TMV infects Cannabis at all. The pictures I've seen online of supposed TMV infections don't look like this.
Yes agreeing with other replies. Od .

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

I don't think it's anything that can't be fixed. have you tried spraying the leaves with just plan water and give them a good soak. the soil looks pretty dry on the top but it appears that you have a bottom feed system. make sure that the top of the pot is also getting some water. you say you have run this before, so look for something that has changed since last crop, ie. strain, temp, water, nutes, lights.

Water & neuts are the same, light is the same but bulb is different (MH), but I've swapped back to HPS now, strain is different, this is also the first time using this bottom feeder system.

I also got a 60x-120x scope this morning and checked a few leaves for mites, there is no sign of them at all. For the amount of damage on some of the leaves and the speed at which they are dying, you would expect to see alot of them I think. The soil at the top is dry but its damp at the bottom they're in 30L pots and I've been feeding them like once per week because of how sick they seem to be getting and I can feel the soil at the bottom is still wet. After 3 weeks tho I would have thought the roots had reached the bottom. I doubt they are just starved of water, as the leaves would all start drooping, but I'll try feeding them from the top again and see if that makes any difference.

In the last 24hrs I've changed the bulb back to hps, confirmed it's not mites, raised the fans way above the canopy, turned 2 off and reduced the power of the other 2 (small clip on fans). I've also completely turned off the intake and exhaust fans to raise the RH. It's now 74% in light and 90% in dark (just to see if this makes any difference really). Temps are now 27oC when lights are on and 20oC when off but this will drop as we get more into winter.

They seem to look a little better from yesterdays room changes but I cant be that sure yet. I was ready to spray them with organic insecticide soap but as i cant see any mites I'm not sure there is any point.

I'm wondering now about possible root damage/infection, next feed I'll add some root repair neut and see if that makes any difference.

Buddin Buddy

Buddin Buddy

Forgot to mention leaves at bottom of plant all slowly going like this

20201106 180746
20201106 180855
20201106 180843
20201106 180817
Cracken

Cracken

Not sure if it was mentioned, how is your ph levels and since its a bottom feed is it a resovoir or fresh water each time? Have they perked up since a top feeling?

Top Bottom