Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) Testing @ Home In Minutes

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Power OG

Power OG

good read sea & oscar. there are so many hybrids out there, even virus mutate and become stronger more resistant,lil oganisms.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Hemp Diseases and Pests: That is where this information is from.
"Only when there is classification can there be analysis" -William James

Viruses only replicate as true obligate parasites, in connection with a living host. Viruses cannot "grow". they do not eat, they do not have sex. They are complex molecules, entities between chemicals and life. Viruses contain DNA or RNA, which encode information for the re-production of identical chemicals. Viruses cause disease by reprogramming their host's metabolic machinery, causing host cells to produce foreign (viral) problems.

Viruses are transmitted (vectored) by aphids as aphids move from diseases plants to healthy plants. To a lesser degree, viruses are vectored by leafhoppers, whiteflies, mites, mealybugs, thrips and other insects with sucking mouthparts. They have a symbiotic relationship.

Luckily, few viruses attack hemp.

Cannabis extracts and purified cannanoids inhibit the replication of viruses. (Blevins & Dumic 1980, Braut-Boucher et al 1985, Lancz er al, 1990, Lancz et al 1991)

----

@Seamaiden
Yes, viruses can infect cannabis.

Ones mentioned in Hemp diseases and pests.

1. Hemp Streak Virus
  2. Alfalfa Mosaic Virus
  3. Cucumber Mosaic Virus
  4. Arabis Mosicac Virus
  5. Hemp Mosaic Virus

M

Miami Mango

Tobacco mosaic virus (TMV) is a virus for tobacco! Not cannabis.

According to a Plant Pathologist. The cannabis plant is not going to get infected with tmv.

I agree with the above posters, Chemdog D, The white both show this trait if they are needing more food.
Crosses of the two can transfer the trait. I have 30+ mothers and it does not spread to other plants.

Have also heard a new "rumour" of the tmv being broad mite/cyclamen damage. :yuck:
TMV affects 150 or so Herbaceous (Green stemmed plants, Non barky Stalks) plants some of those are tomatoes (TMV), Cucumber (CMV), Hemp (HMV) etc, it is called Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) because it was the first virus ever discovered in the 1830 +/- but not identified as a virus instead of a bacteria until early 1900's. Difference in a virus from bacteria is that bacteria is a living organism and a virus is not. Can't wait to test my girls and see what the outcome is, it will be a bitter sweet moment No matter the outcome. Been doing this a long time and pretty much the same way for 2 decades with few variations. Batch by batch I eliminated one thing at a time to try an isolate the problem with no avail, from New R.O. machines, brand new nutrients, new PPM & P.H. probes, tuning down recipes, turning up recipes, medium has been same rock wool for years and yes I flush them well weekly, temp is as constant as 15 tones of A/C keep the rooms at a cool 72 to 76 degrees depending on outside temp, I have No bugs, I use a Microscope to inspect any damage leaves and random leafs, sterile environment with commercial Hepa filters at huge air intake spots that get replaced monthly, I spray pesticide outside building perimeter to try and keep them away, Pets not allowed in building, Automatic Purell Alcohol hand sanitizers at building entrance and outside of every room entrance like a doctors office, you name it I've done it and going broke trying to fix it for the last year. I only have a few more in me before a real state sign goes up on the property

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Tobors tmv test thread:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/tmv-the-final-answer.33713/

TMV affects 150 or so Herbaceous (Green stemmed plants, Non barky Stalks) plants some of those are tomatoes (TMV), Cucumber (CMV), Hemp (HMV) etc, it is called Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) because it was the first virus ever discovered in the 1830 +/- but not identified as a virus instead of a bacteria until early 1900's. Difference in a virus from bacteria is that bacteria is a living organism and a virus is not. Can't wait to test my girls and see what the outcome is, it will be a bitter sweet moment No matter the outcome. Been doing this a long time and pretty much the same way for 2 decades with few variations. Batch by batch I eliminated one thing at a time to try an isolate the problem with no avail, from New R.O. machines, brand new nutrients, new PPM & P.H. probes, tuning down recipes, turning up recipes, medium has been same rock wool for years and yes I flush them well weekly, temp is as constant as 15 tones of A/C keep the rooms at a cool 72 to 76 degrees depending on outside temp, I have No bugs, I use a Microscope to inspect any damage leaves and random leafs, sterile environment with commercial Hepa filters at huge air intake spots that get replaced monthly, I spray pesticide outside building perimeter to try and keep them away, Pets not allowed in building, Automatic Purell Alcohol hand sanitizers at building entrance and outside of every room entrance like a doctors office, you name it I've done it and going broke trying to fix it for the last year. I only have a few more in me before a real state sign goes up on the property

The same reason cannabis is so therapeutic also provides a defense mechanism.

Studies show only 5 viruses infect cannabis. Unless there is a new virus within the last 20 years or so. I understand the history of plant viruses. Mosaic Virus is one of them but it is Hemp Mosaic not Tobacco Mosaic. Some other species can invade cannabis but not TMV.

Wont be the 1st time someone has done it and I doubt it will be the last.

Peace

Last edited:
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Tobors tmv test thread:

Studies show only 5 viruses infect cannabis. Unless there is a new virus within the last 20 years or so. I understand the history of plant viruses. Mosaic Virus is one of them but it is Hemp Mosaic not Tobacco Mosaic. Some other species can invade cannabis but not TMV.

Peace
Sorry Bro you need to start reading more about TMV, its even in the HEMP Disease Book. Here is this month in High Times they talk about TMV in Marijuana and the Problems and shit it Does to MJ..;)
Scan0003

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Sorry Bro you need to start reading more about TMV, its even in the HEMP Disease Book. Here is this month in High Times they talk about TMV in Marijuana and the Problems and shit it Does to MJ..;)

What I posted is from the hemp diseases and pests book. I suspect that to be more credible than High Times! Pick up the book and you will see. I quoted the cites that clarke used as well.

Those photos look nothing like what you suspected to be TMV.
You smoking tobacco? You got test results? Did high times post test results?
Same speculations then.
Smoking hemp than test for hmv or another virus if your set on it.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter

What I posted is from the hemp diseases and pests book. I suspect that to be more credible than High Times! Pick up the book and you will see. I quoted the cites that clarke used as well.

Those photos look nothing like what you suspected to be TMV.
You smoking tobacco? You got test results? Did high times post test results?
Same speculations then.
Smoking hemp than test for hmv or another virus if your set on it.
Here is some more good reading for you Bro, This is the 2013 Marijuana Pets & Disease Control By Ed Rosenthal,
Scan0003
Scan0004
Scan0005
Scan0006

Tobors tmv test thread:

Peace

Above you type (Studies show only 5 viruses infect cannabis) Is WRONG I to own that book and you forgot the word REGULARLY (Studies show only 5 viruses REGULARLY infect cannabis That is a huge difference to saying Only 5 Viruses infect something Vs Regularly infect something, what this is saying is that TMV doesn't do this often...:) Here is that page I scanned it from my book I have here.

Scan0003 2

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's odd is that most of those photos appear to resemble those that were later to be determined to be broad mites (by growers here and on other fora), which could theoretically (as in, in my head) vector a mosaic virus. In absence of scoping and testing I couldn't say for certain, especially since I've never experienced either problem. I sure hope it stays that way, but I'm gonna perform a tried and true experiment--I'm gonna WISH in one hand and SHIT in the other and see which one fills up first. :eek:

growchick421

growchick421

What's odd is that most of those photos appear to resemble those that were later to be determined to be broad mites (by growers here and on other fora), which could theoretically (as in, in my head) vector a mosaic virus. In absence of scoping and testing I couldn't say for certain, especially since I've never experienced either problem. I sure hope it stays that way, but I'm gonna perform a tried and true experiment--I'm gonna WISH in one hand and SHIT in the other and see which one fills up first. :eek:

... and ur results?? :wideyed:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Definitely, and this is a repeatable, fully scientific experiment, but the shit hand fills up much, MUCH faster than the wish hand. HOWEVER, the viscosity of the shit really determines whether or not your hand will actually 'fill' up. :o

Dollar

Dollar

I have this leaf discoloration on my White Fire and The White plants grown from seed. I spent massive amounts of time trying to get rid of it with no luck. Ultimately I harvest the most beautiful huge frost encrusted flowers so this leave discoloration issue is really a non issue at least in my experiences other than it is aesthetically displeasing during veg. We grow for finished flowers and this leaf discoloration does not affect that.

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
Has anyone found any that are positive ?? I have the Sour dubb that has this leaf mosaic pattern. has anyone ever tested it ? I can get this test and see but wanted to check 1st if anyone ever did it

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Has anyone found any that are positive ?? I have the Sour dubb that has this leaf mosaic pattern. has anyone ever tested it ? I can get this test and see but wanted to check 1st if anyone ever did it
I did the above test many times on Plant samples that have has the signs in the previous pics, but never test +, If you in CA doesn't Steep Labs or what ever its called do TMV testing ?

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
Im sure they do but dont know the price. this might be the cheaper route

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
This is what mine look like. The plant is healthy just this mosaic color thing. Took these at lights off so thee a bit droopy from sleeping :)

User414559 pic1354423 1417300236
User414559 pic1354424 1417300236
User414559 pic1354425 1417300236

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Yup that's what a couple plants will do. If I transplant them or clone them and start new mothers then the signs will go away, I have be gone to think It has something to do with being root bound but I'm just going off my experience I have also tested all the mother and strains that I have and have never had a + test But have seen them same signs many times

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
I'm just concerned about the transfer to other plants. I just got her about 5 months ago. None of the other plants show this yet. Everyone that has the Sour dub has this issue. Talking to some have names it Mottled leaf virus but cant prove it's a real virus. No tests have come back with any positive results for any of the know viruses.. I'm leaning more towards a genetic fault/trait. Im going to give her some Aspirin cant hurt ..

hammerhead

hammerhead

Old Farmer
Supporter
I have been told that as well but want to be sure. I would hate to infect my other plants.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Here is some more good reading for you Bro, This is the 2013 Marijuana Pets & Disease Control By Ed Rosenthal,
View attachment 385965 View attachment 385966 View attachment 385968 View attachment 385969

Above you type (Studies show only 5 viruses infect cannabis) Is WRONG I to own that book and you forgot the word REGULARLY (Studies show only 5 viruses REGULARLY infect cannabis That is a huge difference to saying Only 5 Viruses infect something Vs Regularly infect something, what this is saying is that TMV doesn't do this often...:) Here is that page I scanned it from my book I have here.

View attachment 385971
I forgot to ask you, way back when, does Ed provide citations for his assertions in this book? I didn't notice anything.

Top Bottom