Tomato Cages Vs Trellis Netting Scrog

• Thread starter Smokerates
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokerates

Smokerates

I was just curious about everyone's opinion. I was thinking about trying tomato cages this run but then saw ri420's post made me think maybe I should use a trellis net scrog because it looks like a great idea.

So what does everyone think? Or do you prefer a different style than the two? Let me know!

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

Cages are good so far i havent been able to pull near the same weight as a full net setup. i use both currently. I have three 4x4 trays in two lines and cages in the middle isle. Cages are easy to move but i dont think you will get rich growing in cages just not the same yield. I use my middle cage plants for my testers for genetics to see it is worth a full run.

P

Panchojr

What is the yield more ? How much can you pull from a scrog 1000w?

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I tried cages my first two grows and found them to be a bit of a PITA. I'm running two UC8XL systems and ended up building wooden frames for both systems and attaching cattle fencing to the frames. I have rachetting hangers attached to the 4 corners which allow me to set the height exactly where I want it plus I can then raise it up and out of the way when cleaning the systems. At some point I want to redo them using PVC piping instead of wood. The wood I used is 3" wide and tends to block my side lights a bit. Using 3/4" PVC won't block as much light.

Smokerates

Smokerates

I tried cages my first two grows and found them to be a bit of a PITA. I'm running two UC8XL systems and ended up building wooden frames for both systems and attaching cattle fencing to the frames. I have rachetting hangers attached to the 4 corners which allow me to set the height exactly where I want it plus I can then raise it up and out of the way when cleaning the systems. At some point I want to redo them using PVC piping instead of wood. The wood I used is 3" wide and tends to block my side lights a bit. Using 3/4" PVC won't block as much light.

When I was in college I was growing a scrog over a 3'x6' ebb table. I just built a square with 4 legs using 3/4" PVC and zip tied the trellis to it.

What was a PITA about cages? I feel like it's easier to trim plants with them.

palm eezy

palm eezy

I run trellis that I built out of 1/2 black iron pipe for the frame. Unions on all of the legs so I can take it out of the room for cleaning. Chains go long-ways with turn buckles and have strings run the short way.. I use roughly 4x4" spacing but you can make your own. I'm in the process of setting it up as a double stack, with a 1st & 2nd level since I ultimately end up running a 2nd all-string line to support the tops. My goal is to run the 1st level about 18-20" from the bucket top and the 2nd another 24" up. Double scrog basically.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

When I was in college I was growing a scrog over a 3'x6' ebb table. I just built a square with 4 legs using 3/4" PVC and zip tied the trellis to it.

What was a PITA about cages? I feel like it's easier to trim plants with them.

I found I couldn't train the branches horizontal very well in them. Plus I had to get them out of the way to clean the system and my grow space doesn't have much extra room to put them aside. Raising it up and out of the way is much easier for me.

RoeBuck

RoeBuck

I run trellis that I built out of 1/2 black iron pipe for the frame. Unions on all of the legs so I can take it out of the room for cleaning. Chains go long-ways with turn buckles and have strings run the short way.. I use roughly 4x4" spacing but you can make your own. I'm in the process of setting it up as a double stack, with a 1st & 2nd level since I ultimately end up running a 2nd all-string line to support the tops. My goal is to run the 1st level about 18-20" from the bucket top and the 2nd another 24" up. Double scrog basically.

I tried a two level setup for a couple of grows and then abandoned that idea. I found that I wasn't really using the lower one. For any low branches that need support I just use longer string to tie them to the single frame.

P

PoseidonXtrx

I was just curious about everyone's opinion. I was thinking about trying tomato cages this run but then saw ri420's post made me think maybe I should use a trellis net scrog because it looks like a great idea.

So what does everyone think? Or do you prefer a different style than the two? Let me know!
Trellis can be pretty annoying IME. It's effective, but this is the first run I've incorporated cages and am loving them thus far. Much better ability to move about the room.
Veg with Gavitas above, once flipped I turned on the side Gavitas an they start filling in all around. I can get a better yield comparison once this round finishes.

R

robz

Scrog netting all the way. I've used the cages & I just can't get in around the girls well enough when in a cage to do matinance & cleaning & prunin . This is my 18 site room week 3 flower & two layers of scrog in there somewhere lol.

IMG 20161128 194217
R

robz

Its there under the Forrest lol. Two layers of it. Did the cages & they work ok for smaller 1lb. Plants but I mostly like growing big as I can & scrog works better for this method IMO.

Fishmaster42

Fishmaster42

Nice use of space. i d rather crawl around on the floor than loose any space myself. Shows your dead serious about what your doing.

mikeross

mikeross

Scrog netting all the way. I've used the cages & I just can't get in around the girls well enough when in a cage to do matinance & cleaning & prunin . This is my 18 site room week 3 flower & two layers of scrog in there somewhere lol.

How to you do maintenance on your plants with a canopy of that size and a trellis over everything. I see lots of guys utilizing a trellis and heavy defoliate but you can see they have created path ways between grow beds/tables.

I see a lot photos of trellis netting over huge foot prints but just assumed that they do a big cleanup, apply the netting and let things roll, untouched until harvest.

Top Bottom