Too late to top?

• Thread starter NorCalGal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NorCalGal

NorCalGal

I've approached them several times, intent on making the cuts, but the shears always become heavy in hand when I look at the sprightly new growth emerging to greet the sun. It's not just on the cannabis that I lack the conviction to do proper pruning. I'm sure I would have more confidence if other vegetation was regularly put under the knife, but no other cultivar carries as much potential risk/reward, and so I hesitate. Ranging from 40 to 62 inches, they're plenty tall enough, but could use some phattening up, to be sure. I'm concerned that topping this late will either prevent a nice fat cola, or alternatively, given that they are a bit lanky, the top of the plant will not be able to support multiple colas. Does anybody have any advice to offer on late veg pruning? Have I missed my window? Should I just let them finish up naturally and commit myself to earlier pruning on next year's crop or should I get out there, steady in my resolve, and do what needs to be done?

Plant tops 2020jpg
Plants 7jpg
BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Happy grows. Nice vigorous growth. Instead of topping (if you’re hesitant) you could practice some LST (light strength training) on the lower branches by gently pulling down and tying them down. This will expose the lower bud sites that would otherwise be shadowed by the upper leaf growth. You will need to steak the branches after the initial stretch in flower to support the weight of the colas as they develop later in flowering. You could also use a trellis net to do this.
As for your original question. No, I don’t think it’s to late to top.
Keep in mind that this may cause unwanted stress or the plant may love it and burst with new growth after being topped. Trial and error. It’s how we all learned. Good luck. Your plants look very healthy BTW, great job.
Burnz

Top Bottom