Too Many Nutes? Not Enough? Help Me Please.

• Thread starter GrowForJoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrowForJoy

Hello everyone.
I am growing in a 4x4 tent, drain to waste hydro using RO water.
Im on day 32 from planting the seed in rock wool and gave the first nutrients 2 days ago.

My friend bought a few advanced nutrients, and then decided he was going to go organic coco.. I tried to convince him to use what he bought but his mind was made up, and so I bought all his nutrients for quite a good price. I have bought a few other things as I have been doing some research, but I get a lot of mixed opinions.

What I am wondering is if I have too many different nutrients. Do any nutes do the same thing, essentially being a waste of money? Do I need something else for veg or flowering? Recommendations?
Here is a list of what I have. Sensi grow A & B, Sensi Bloom A & B, Sensi Cal Max Xtra, Over Drive, Bud Factor X, Big Bud, Roots Excelurator, Amino Treatment, Promax B1 (B52 sub).
I am going to purchase bud candy and was looking at getting some shooting powder.

I know I can definitely finish growing with all of this, but is there something YOU can't live without or something I don't need because its being supplied from other nutrients?
Thanks a ton!

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would say you just need a silica supplement. I always use silica and won’t grow without it. Advanced calls theirs “Rhinoskin” but you don’t have to use theirs. I use Dyna-gro for my silica. Other than that, you should have all the nutes you will need and then some.

G

GrowForJoy

I would say you just need a silica supplement. I always use silica and won’t grow without it. Advanced calls theirs “Rhinoskin” but you don’t have to use theirs. I use Dyna-gro for my silica. Other than that, you should have all the nutes you will need and then some.

This is something I have taken in to consideration, however I asked the guy at my local hydro store about amino treatment being a replacement for rhino skin as it does have silica in it in addition to the humid and amino acid. He sort of just agreed that amino treatment has silica in it, but he didn't really answer my question wether I needed rhino skin.

Last edited:
F

FarmerDaniel

I suggest learning a little about the main nutrients. NPK, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. Then move on to Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, and Iron.

If you've got those then in the right quantities then you've usually got whatever is needed for plant growth. Look what's inside all those bottles. It's marketing craziness! Lots of them are the exact same ingredients...and or exact same elements from different sources.

G

GrowForJoy

I suggest learning a little about the main nutrients. NPK, Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. Then move on to Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfur, and Iron.

If you've got those then in the right quantities then you've usually got whatever is needed for plant growth. Look what's inside all those bottles. It's marketing craziness! Lots of them are the exact same ingredients...and or exact same elements from different sources.

Thank you Daniel. I will definitely do some research on the NPK ratios and learn why they do what they do, thanks for the info.

I had a feeling that the ingredients in some bottles were similar and thats exactly why I'm asking if I had too much, duplicated or nutrients I didn't really need. I am trying to avoid excess nutrients in the plants as I am a new grower and have heard over watering / too much nutrients is super common for us new growers. I just figured I would use the forums as there is so much combined knowledge in the community, it would be crazy not to utilize it.
Thanks again everyone!

P.S Is shooting powder worth picking up?

Enforcer

Enforcer

This is something I have taken in to consideration, however I asked the guy at my local hydro store about amino treatment being a replacement for rhino skin as it does have silica in it in addition to the humid and amino acid. He sort of just agreed that amino treatment has silica in it, but he didn't really answer my question wether I needed rhino skin.
In that case I’d say you’re good to grow. IMO, a silica supplement is needed. Especially if growing in coco. Not necessarily Rhinoskin (which is just Advanced Nutrients brand silica) but some form of chelated silica. Sounds like your amino treatment will be fine. Now that you mention it, I think I saw a YouTube video of Greatful Grower where he says he likes that stuff for his silica.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Shooting powder is good but will burn your plants if you aren't careful. Its essentially the same thing as big bud. All of that stuff (bud boosters) is usually MPK (mono pot phos )with some added K or P to get the ratio they want. Same thing as MOAB (strait MPK with added B1). You can buy 25lb of that stuff for pennies on the dollar.

As suggested Silica. I would prob only use Protekt (dynagro) or Agsil. The thing about using more and more bottles if you arent schooled in what you are using its gonna be hard to know what to adjust if you get burning or lockout. Follow a chart and go from there if you arent comfortable with that at first.

Top Bottom