too much calmag in dwc

• Thread starter myko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

myko

hello I'm in my 5th week growing Moby dick autoflower hydro dwc
my substrate is coco hydroton ...my problem is: I accidentally added 7 tablespoons of calmag instead of 7 tsp ...is this way too much? what should I do ? I have 2 plants in the 7 gal tote
thanks

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I would change out the res water asap.

This ☝️ Especially if it's calling for one teaspoon per gallon, which sounds about right. I use ml and there are 4.9 ml in a teaspoon, and I normally feed 5 ml per gallon. What you have here is 14.7 ml in each tablespoon, I do believe that is way too much for 7 gallons, 14.7 X 7=102.9 ml.

One of the cool things about hydro is the ability to reset everything, and rather quickly at that. It's easy to make mistakes like that, just reset with a new res and you'll be good to go.

Think if it this way, it's good you caught the mistake now. If you didn't, you would have to figure out what you did if/when you saw problems. Good if you want to make mistakes to learn by, but not so good if you are going for production.

Last edited:
M

myko

This ☝️ Especially if it's calling for one teaspoon per gallon, which sounds about right. I use ml and there are 4.9 ml in a teaspoon, and I normally feed 5 ml per gallon. What you have here is 14.7 ml in each tablespoon, I do believe that is way too much for 7 gallons, 14.7 X 7=102.9 ml.

One of the cool things about hydro is the ability to reset everything, and rather quickly at that. It's easy to make mistakes like that, just reset with a new res and you'll be good to go.

Think if it this way, it's good you caught the mistake now. If you didn't, you would have to figure out what you did if/when you saw problems. Good if you want to make mistakes to learn by, but not so good if you are going for production.
thanks for the info ....I. order for me to change it I have to run new water and let it set overnight will the 2 plants I have growing be ok in just the air pots for 24 hr?.....I know I should have had water ready for just these types of things but I got lazy

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

lol the us tablespoon is a few ml's smaller than the usual imperial tablespoon, are you guys eating ok there?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I. order for me to change it I have to run new water and let it set overnight will the 2 plants I have growing be ok in just the air pots for 24 hr?

I'd leave em in the water till you have water to put them back into, they won't survive long outside of water. I don't think it will kill them to sit in that water an extra day while you prepare water for the change.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Chances are if your tote is 7 gallons the actual water is less, more like 5. So the ratio and amount to add should be double checked.

If you are not running bacteria in the res, there is no need to wait. I assume you are talking about tap water with chlorine in it.

Tell us more about your grow, post some pics and we will be better able to assist you.

Are you measuring PH?

M

myko

my tote is 12 gal a little over half full I estimate 7 gal .
I'm growing Moby dick hydro dwc , it's my first hydro grow , my second autoflower grow. I just harvested some white widow and still have one plant left to harvest

I have 2 totes one with 4 plants and one with 2, I also have a couple in soil 8 total in veg, Moby dick, (7 days old ) and one ready to harvest started them in riot cubes I presoaked the cubes with rhizo before putting the sprouted seeds in them and then putting the cubes in coir and hydroton I cut 6 inch holes in the tops of 2 totes ( 2 in one 4 in the other)filled both totes over half full with tap water that I let set for a couple days with bubbler running in them, so the totes have no nutes just water
I got lucky and found a local person selling misc hydro stuff $ 25..I bought and was happy to see it had brand new ff trio, aqua flores hydro A and B both
brand new, an 8 Oz bottle of bud candy, 8oz of calmag, 8 Oz of rhizotonic, 2 pumps and tons of hose, and 2 half bottles of floroduo
brand new bottle of ph down and some white vinegar
yesterday I decided to start trying nutrients and I added ff big bloom and grow big and a shit ton of calmag to my smaller to see how it reacts before nuting my bigger tote ( 27 gal with 4 plants )
I've never used nutrients and not aware of which ones are best I've done a TON of reading and was gonna do ff on tote one and maybe aqua Flores or floro duo on tote 2

here's some pics
the small plant ready for harvest (I think) is white widow the other plants I harvested over 2 weeks ago this one is still got mostly clear ticjh it looks like to me ...been 12 weeks and pretty much hasn't changed in 2 weeks this was grown completely nute free
20230126 185413
20230126 185406
20230126 185456
20230126 185535
20230126 185620

M

myko

Aldo I just checked ph it is at 7.2 now and ppm I'd at 720 I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to look at it until now I know I got to get that ph down is the ppm good?

M

myko

Aldo I just checked ph it is at 7.2 now and ppm I'd at 720 I've been at work all day and haven't had a chance to look at it until now I know I got to get that ph down is the ppm good?

M

myko

just an update in case anyone else runs into this :

there really wasn't much I could do so I decided to let the plants tough it out for a week or so than I did another res change
the leaves on 2 of the plants started getting spots ( this is probably 2 weeks after the od) and then they got yellow and the 2 plants began to sag . I thought they were just now suffering from the calmag overdose so I went to change the res out again and noticed I had root rot on the two plants I didn't really have anything but peroxide so I sprayed the roots with 3% and dumped acup of it in the res and then the next day changed res out again and added peroxide and I've been spraying the roots of all my plants a couple times a day for the last few days and they all seem to be recovering nicely

so I'm not sure if the od had anything to do with the root rot or the dieing leaves ..but I dont think so because the main plant with the root rot was the one pot that i ,ignorantly , put worm casings on top of ...too much calmag didn't seem to have any effect at all

Top Bottom