Too Much Light?

• Thread starter Stay.gold710
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stay.gold710

hi, new here and need opinions and insight. So i set up my tent with a 400w HID and i have just come to the realization that the timer has not been set properly...and by that i mean has been on constantly for 72hrs. Plants dont look too bad. Slight curl to some leaves and one has a small discoloration spot. I have now set the timer correctly. Is there any harm with this situation. Im aware they are probably pretty stressed. They are 4 week old clones in soil.thanks for any advice and help!

Monster762

Monster762

Awesome thats a relief. Ive seen stress can cause hermaphroditism and thats no bueno haha
Yeah stress can hermie a plant but usually it’s genetics either unstable or has history of hermi in the family tree. And if you push them tooo long nature will find a way to reproduce. That’s when they panic. When they know it’s over n ain’t pregnant yet. They pollenate themselves
I’ve tried to stress a plant to hermie. Light leaks n all. Good genes won’t hermie easy at all.

3 balls

3 balls

You picked the perfect time to have timer problems. If you haven't already, this is a perfect opportunity to get to know your timer up down and sideways. You don't want to join me and many others on here I'm sure, who suffer PTSD as a result of timer issues in flower.:)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah stress can hermie a plant but usually it’s genetics either unstable or has history of hermi in the family tree. And if you push them tooo long nature will find a way to reproduce. That’s when they panic. When they know it’s over n ain’t pregnant yet. They pollenate themselves
I’ve tried to stress a plant to hermie. Light leaks n all. Good genes won’t hermie easy at all.

Sheesh, I'm learning that this year. I thought colloidal silver would be a slam dunk but herm resistant strains can be really really resistant.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

hi, new here and need opinions and insight. So i set up my tent with a 400w HID and i have just come to the realization that the timer has not been set properly...and by that i mean has been on constantly for 72hrs. Plants dont look too bad. Slight curl to some leaves and one has a small discoloration spot. I have now set the timer correctly. Is there any harm with this situation. Im aware they are probably pretty stressed. They are 4 week old clones in soil.thanks for any advice and help!

24/7 in veg always for me uptil about 2 months in from seed, then 18/6, 1 month and then flip 12/12 for flower strain depending

I like to start my plants from seed at under 16hrs/day to improve chances for females but I would run clones with longer daylight periods for accelerated growth. I'm a firm believer in letting them rest for at least a few hours a night because I think it benefits respiration and nutrient transfer, but, I cannot prove this, it's just an opinion. Jack, you seem to know your stuff and I'm pretty sure you have a whole lot more experience than me (definitely on indoor). This may just be the outdoor grower in me being stubborn to change, hehe.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Thank you for this. 9/10 times hermaphrodite traits, and when or why they appear, are determined by genetics. If a whole crop, or section, shows consistent intersex traits, then it could be stress related. As you said, it's very difficult to stress a plant into it. Something i think people should consider more is that flowering without reproducing to the point that smokes best is not a common, or "good" trait for the plant, as it ensures its demise. Most cannabis plants will herm if grown far past peak flowering. Most breeders are not testing for this(or at all), so hermaphrodite genes are rampant in the current cannabis population.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Thank you for this. 9/10 times hermaphrodite traits, and when or why they appear, are determined by genetics. If a whole crop, or section, shows consistent intersex traits, then it could be stress related. As you said, it's very difficult to stress a plant into it. Something i think people should consider more is that flowering without reproducing to the point that smokes best is not a common, or "good" trait for the plant, as it ensures its demise. Most cannabis plants will herm if grown far past peak flowering. Most breeders are not testing for this(or at all), so hermaphrodite genes are rampant in the current cannabis population.
Agree with that, perfect example is this row of Chemdog 91 3 weeks past harvest poping nanners and self pollinated.
This was a lesson for one of our tenders. Was his row and we let folks try out a row on things and well, he learned! Plants look like crap

CB8F378F D019 41D1 B480 163E7E935A8D
D172F727 C14A 4F49 9D87 E6C4C959B47C
69513E6E 5F20 4788 BD97 0FA31565833D
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Agree with that, perfect example is this row of Chemdog 91 3 weeks past harvest poping nanners and self pollinated.
This was a lesson for one of our tenders. Was his row and we let folks try out a row on things and well, he learned! Plants look like crap

You guys let nanners pop in the middle of an operation? I understand the lesson but you must've been clearing out for a new crop to let that slide. Even then residual pollen is a b*tch.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah colloidal silver is probably easier, but as you've witnessed its not a sure fire thing. STS was what started the reversing trend and was really good for that. It's however a bit more toxic so it requires special handling.

Colloidal silver was the option my financials allowed at the time. If I'd have known I would have just kept the male and waited for new seeds to go with STS.

3 balls

3 balls

I'm curious if you do or have in the past, have your helpers take any of the online training courses I see popping up and if so what is your take on their value?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Was in a islolates room ! Lol fuck if if that happened with 20k plants we would be fucked

20k, sh*t! Is there a Fed permit I don't know about? That's a giant a$$ target where I live, Cali licensed or not. There are operations like that around here but they're not concentrated in one spot and no one openly talks about them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom