Too soon to place under MH?

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Started seedlings under fluorescent light 14 days ago. Seedlings are are about to start 3rd set of true leaves & most already have leaves with two fingers now. Is it too soon to throw under MH light yet?

growsince79

growsince79

Started seedlings under fluorescent light 14 days ago. Seedlings are are about to start 3rd set of true leaves & most already have leaves with two fingers now. Is it too soon to throw under MH light yet?
I usually start about 10 days with just a few hours and gradually increasing for 3 days until its 18hrs.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have nice healthy 3 and 5 day old seedlings under a 600 watt hortilux blue.

EF6EC1FC EB67 4B31 88E1 227BCBF771E5

About 40 inches from the glass of the air cooled reflector. I move them up a little every day unless they show stress.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I have nice healthy 3 and 5 day old seedlings under a 600 watt hortilux blue.

View attachment 1016072

About 40 inches from the glass of the air cooled reflector. I move them up a little every day unless they show stress.
Yeah,I was looking at some of those hortilux bulbs. I wasn't sure if there was big difference between all the more expensive bulbs & the cheap one I got. Although I've always been of the believe u get what u pay for,lol. There's just so many bulbs out there & all ranging in price.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah,I was looking at some of those hortilux bulbs. I wasn't sure if there was big difference between all the more expensive bulbs & the cheap one I got. Although I've always been of the believe u get what u pay for,lol. There's just so many bulbs out there & all ranging in price.

That bulb was way overpriced. I got it to add spectrum for flowering but when i tested it gave much less yield and leafier buds than their super hps.

But i never tried to veg with it so we will see how it goes.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

That bulb was way overpriced. I got it to add spectrum for flowering but when i tested it gave much less yield and leafier buds than their super hps.

But i never tried to veg with it so we will see how it goes.
Good thing I enquired with u before I bought then,lol. I thought seemed pricey & wasn't sure if it was worth it. I have a hps bulb for flowering phase but I am curious how hortilux turns out for you during veg.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Good thing I enquired with u before I bought then,lol. I thought seemed pricey & wasn't sure if it was worth it. I have a hps bulb for flowering phase but I am curious how hortilux turns out for you during veg.

It will work well im sure. I was using t-5 flourescents in a veg tent. I have been running a perpetual garden with the t-5 veg and hortilux super hps (now trying ushios with excellent results and no bulb issues) for years.

A few years ago i tested in the flower room the 600w super hps, 600w hortilux blue and phillips 315 cmh 3100k and all combos.

The full spectrum bulbs (blue and phillips cmh) brought out more color, shorter plants and some strains finished about about 5 days earlier.

But the hps gave more yield and tighter buds with a better leaf/calyx ratio. And no one could tell which was which in blind tests i gave.

I think there may be a subtle quality increase with some of the blue light added. And the plants stay green easier and seem healthier too.

My best results were with 2 600w horty hps and one 315 cmh.

I would also like to try 3 315’s to see if they can compete with the 2 hps. With the prices of good led i may replace the 600’s with 315’s eventually. Prices have come down on them.

Basically what i learned is what nasa and the university of michigan confirmed. To put it simply blue light grows short leafy stocky plants and red light promotes branching and flowering. So combine as we need for our taste and situation.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

It will work well im sure. I was using t-5 flourescents in a veg tent. I have been running a perpetual garden with the t-5 veg and hortilux super hps (now trying ushios with excellent results and no bulb issues) for years.

A few years ago i tested in the flower room the 600w super hps, 600w hortilux blue and phillips 315 cmh 3100k and all combos.

The full spectrum bulbs (blue and phillips cmh) brought out more color, shorter plants and some strains finished about about 5 days earlier.

But the hps gave more yield and tighter buds with a better leaf/calyx ratio. And no one could tell which was which in blind tests i gave.

I think there may be a subtle quality increase with some of the blue light added. And the plants stay green easier and seem healthier too.

My best results were with 2 600w horty hps and one 315 cmh.

I would also like to try 3 315’s to see if they can compete with the 2 hps. With the prices of good led i may replace the 600’s with 315’s eventually. Prices have come down on them.

Basically what i learned is what nasa and the university of michigan confirmed. To put it simply blue light grows short leafy stocky plants and red light promotes branching and flowering. So combine as we need for our taste and situation.
That was very informative. That's why I love this forum,I learn so much. I've always done outdoor grows since I was young so this 1st indoor is touch & go. But what I've always heard over the years is MH for veg & hps for flower tho things have changed as tech advances & ppl.learn more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom