Top Off Res Smell/stuff On Sides Of Tank

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
slimjimham

slimjimham

So I'm not sure why I'm having this issue.

I'm using uv filtered, 0 ppm RO water

It's on a float feeding the topoff res

The topoff res is a 15 gallon bucket (for uc 4xl 30 gallon system) fed by float valve.

I'm aerating two of these topoff tanks with this air pump

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/dual-outlet-air-pump-40-gallon-max

Says it's good for 40g and I'm using it for 30 gallons

Tanks are light tight, with lids...

A smell develops in the tank, I notice algae growth near the bottom on the uni seals, and when I wipe the sides of tank a light brownish deposit shows up on the paper towel.

Tanks are not chilled but it doesn't seem necessary when the systems are...

What do you think is going on, any recommendations? I don't seem to have this problem when ro water is connected directly to the system bypassing the topoff tank...

This issue before caused me to move away from the topoff tanks which clearly isn't a step in the right direction.

Thanks!

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Are you using benes? If not have you tried adding a little h2o2?

slimjimham

slimjimham

Sorry, running a steril tank.

Just techniflora magical (calmag)
Canna substra (for soft water)
Uc roots

Topoff Mix usualy for 15 gallons looks like,
21ml magical
50 canna substra (soft water) a/b
50ml uc roots

That's it.... Like I said in using 0ppm, uv filtered water but I'm wondering if something is in the water that the uv/ro filters aren't getting...

Should I aerate more?... Even though I feel aeration is sufficient

I feel like I shouldn't need any h2o2, or uc roots... More like insurance but shouldn't be necessary when uv and ro filtering... Tanks are prob room temp around 75*

slimjimham

slimjimham

... Well what should be steril, I guess that's the problem. I previously cleaned the tanks with bleach before using again because I had this issue before....

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
45 ml uc roots would be max for that 15 gal res if you go by the max recommended dosage, 15 ml for 15 gal is min recomended
Thats the only thing I see, I know nothing about hydro @gravekat303 or @Seamaiden know the members on here that do and can direct them to your thread.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
There is some equation of how you add more or less to the res but I dont know it.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Yeah I know you can go up to 10ml per gallon of Uc Roots if having root issues. Think 3-5ml per gallon is the max recommendation per gallon (so 45-75 ml in 15 gallons)

It seems to me it's got to be either

-source water (shouldn't be this)
-low aeration (possible)
-water is too warm (shouldn't matter if aerated/not contaminated to begin with
-something in nutrients (thinking this isn't it since I've experienced the sane thing with several synthetic lines)

Assuming someone out there had this issue and already figured it out?

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Are you running well water? One of the places I run in is off of well water. I noticed that if I leave water, even with air in it, sitting I will have growth within 24 hours. Even if I can't see or smell anything if I dip something in the water it will come out slimy. I found that running a recirculating pump helps this issue a lot. It keeps things stirring in your top off. If you have the pump come out of your top off and drop down the top of it dropping into the water like a waterfall (creating DO) you could get rid of your air stones in your top off.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

It sounds like if you are filtering and have UC roots should be fine so I'm not really sure personally never had a problem with my res getting algae. I use house and garden not canna so I'm no expert what is in canna nutrients but maybe something to look into. I do add 2 ml a gallon of h202 to a full res once a week on top of UC roots to help keep res clean. Is your res food grade? I'm not sure if this would matter or not someone else might be able to help to explain if this could be a possible issue. I don't chill my res just system never had a problem and res temps get up into the high 70's at times. The only 2 things I can think of is canna nutes might have some organic matter in it that needs to be chilled or the res and air stones weren't sterile to begin with. Someone who knows more about canna might be able to help with this more than me. I am very curious what could cause this I hope you get to the bottom of it!

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Its city tap water... 30 ppm before its ro filtered

30 ppm is some low ppm for city tap. I wish my filter only had to do that work. I'm around 350 - 380 ppm where I have city water... My spot that runs off mountain water sits between 50-80 ppm and I have the same issues as you. It might be worth having an analysis ran on your water. It also might be worth trying the recirculating pump and keep that water moving

slimjimham

slimjimham

Yeah I might just have to do that, like I said the weird part is the the smell isn't in the systems, just the topoff tank... Like maybe something is making it past the uv filter and it's only in issue when no recirculating... Hmmm no one else has had this issue and fixed it?

I might just buy another uv filter and link them together so the water has twice as long of contact with the UV... Can't imagine what else it could be

palm eezy

palm eezy

Don't rule out the water as the source. Contams vary seasonally.

Try ozone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom