Topping and LST?

• Thread starter WhiteRhyno
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WhiteRhyno

Hey guys! I have some questions about these techniques..
Before going to the question and shall explain the situation a little bit.. xD
I'm a student and I live in a dorm.. I don't have much of a space to grow, so I'm going for the "stealth" with a PC case. I know I won't get much of a yield, but for now is my only option. I modified my PC.. All of the hardware required for the PC to work is still and will be in the case.. Because of the hardware I'm having even smaller space to grow.
I know that using LST you can make your plant "shorter" which will be good for my situation.. Recently I found out that Topping can make the plants shorter as well. I've been growing weed like 2 times, so I'm not a complete noob. xD
But I'm still a noob in the indoor growing.. I've been growing only outdoor, because I think that the indoor weed is not as good as the outdoor one.. The nature really know how to grow good weed. xD
Anyway.. Can somebody please explain me this topping technique? I looked some pictures and diagrams, but I really didn't got it..
Also, can I use topping and LST? Is it possible to use the topping technique on autoflowering plants?
Well these is what I really want to learn so for.. But hey.. There will be more questions later.. xD

Thanks!

P.S: Sorry for the crappy English..

catdaddy

catdaddy

nice pics pauly. if you don't mind me asking, after you supercrop did you tie them down? or did you let them heal first and then tie them down?

P

paulycali

Tying them down is part of supercropping

I did snap and bend a few but i feel you dont need to

Just tye them all down

Basically top them when they are at there 3rd node and once they recover and start growing again you can then start tying them down

You might wan to try doing a mini scrog

Instead of trying them to the pot you place a screen/trellis thing and tye the branches to that. A little easier for sure and alot more area for tying down

You can maximize yield by doing a mini scrog

Good luck :)

N

NoReason

Topping, tie down, cropping are all working good to keep a low plant profile.
Just note that when you cut the stem, or when you fail a crop (it often happens) you expose the internal side of the plant to pathogens.
99% of the time it's not a problem but sometimes could be a risk ;)

If your aim is to keep the stuff low, I suggest to top the plant at the 3° or 4° internode and then, when the branches grow up, start to tie them as shown in the previous pictures, without crop'em.
If you this once a week you have perfect control on plant form, branches will not lignify too rapidly to need a crop, but don't forget the stretching phase when you switch the light on 12\12 ;)

Autoflowering plants should never be topped. They need all the possible energy because of their fixed vegetative phase, so if you cut the top, you're wasting its energy. A good thing is to bend the branches to expose them to more light, that's all.

Good luck with your first indoor

T

thisguy

thanks for posting this thread i was about to start one myself, so you need to cut down after the 3rd node? i tried on my last crop and failed horribly, thanks for the help.:passingjoint:

N

NoReason

thanks for posting this thread i was about to start one myself, so you need to cut down after the 3rd node? i tried on my last crop and failed horribly, thanks for the help.:passingjoint:

3° internode is the minimum for a top without shocking the plant too much.
However if I should top my plants I would wait till I see the firsts branches come out from the internodes, so, from the day after you will see branches grow up quickly.

What do you refer about failing horribly? what happened?

T

thisguy

not sure, cut the top, and nothing happened, it was explained to me by a newb that thought he knew what he was doing, it just didn't produce any growth after if cut her.:hunter:

Top Bottom