Topping and Training Tech for Yields and Quality

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I saw with great interest desert squirrel's postings on pruning and defoliation. I wanted to share some techniques I learned long ago, with the hope of seeing how my old approach and the new might work together?

First, I ran only one 1000w HPS bulb in flower at the time, over 12 smaller plants. The Hydrofarm open double parabola style hood was on a rotator of my own design- surprise- and the bulb ran in a circle about 15" above the tops of my plants. I mention this because I feel that one is never sure which environmental factors might be in play to get a given set of results...

To start with, when my rooted clones were about 6" tall, I topped them, and cleaned off the scraggly stuff leftover from the cloning process at the bottom. I left four and only four side buds to grow. As these grew, I often topped the highest one of these as it would try to take over the apical position. I wanted even growth on all four side stems.

Once they got to be about 6" long, I used twine and tied them down more or less horizontally, using open loops so that I could easily reposition the tiedowns later. I used duct tape to tape the twine to the sides of the soil buckets I was using, 5 gallon nursery cans.

After a week or two, I would then top each of these four branches, as well as cleaning up the minor inner buds near the mainstem. The aim was to provide two to four budding/growing sites on each of these four side stems.

Another week or two later, I would reposition the twine loops so as to keep the plant growing more outwards than upwards. The aim was to create a plant about 15-18" tall from the soil surface, and about 2 feet across at this point.

The final prune before- or just after- going into flower was to top the excessively growing shoots wherever they may have been, and to reposition the twine loops to level the canopy of the plant. At this point they'd be roughly 3' in diameter and no taller than last time, owing to the twine physically holding them down and open. I think the technique here really helped get light throughout the plant by forcing it open and keeping it that way.

Concurrently with the topping and training schedule, I'd remove lower fan leaves and assorted scraggly stuff, as it was being shaded by the upper story getting very lush and completely filling in. Once finished and looking at the plant from the side, you'd see bare stem at the bottom near the soil splitting into four, then splitting again into more branches before heading up into a dense canopy. This canopy was never more than a foot deep from bottom to top, but was very broad, almost saucer shaped. The things looked a lot like bonsai trees!

In this way, I was able to encourage consistent results from each plant, with between 16 and 32 cola sites, and no popcorn underneath which never added anything to weight anyway. All the plants were the same height as were the colas- carefully managed with the twine loops- the goal of which was to manage the vertical distance between the plants and the HPS bulb constantly rotating above.

There were always 12 plants under the rotator, six in early flower weeks 1-3, and six in late bloom, weeks 4-6. The plants were a variety I'm not sure of anymore, and I always finished in 6 weeks. They may well have done better if they'd stayed in a few extra weeks, I'll never know. Each plant averaged 4 ounces of dried finished smokable product of very high quality, since it was basically all colas. A few stars showed the way to higher potential, with up to 8 ounces on one plant...

To do this, I used a staging system like a perpetual grow; a clone zone and rooted cutting area sharing a 4 foot shoplight, an early veg under 2 more shoplights, 2 stages of peak veg under 4 more shoplights, and finally a prebloom under a stationary 400w MH, all before going under the rotating 1000w HPS.

I did the pruning I did to maximize the light I was using to flower a smaller number of plants. The bloom zone with all 12 plants was about 7 feet across. I didn't know any better at the time, so by the time I got busted- yes, snitched out- the HPS bulb was 4 years old! And yet, the yields were still up there. I never had any trouble with plant disease attacking where I'd topped the plants, and I certainly never had trouble with plants being unable to hold up their heavy buds, quite the contrary! The girls all acted like little weightlifters, constantly pulling the twine loops out of their duct tape on the sides of the buckets, even when double looped!

All this was 20 years ago; the lead officer testified in court that it ws hands down the most sophisticated grow operation he'd ever seen, clearly trying to get me some prison time. I had to think fast to counter with the fact that I was growing in dirt with cobbled together homebuilt bicycle parts! This being Colorado and a first offense, I got lucky with no jail time, just probation and fines.

I still think about that old setup every day, because if it worked so damned well then- 24-30 oz of finished product every 3 weeks like clockwork under a tired old bulb- then there has to be something of value in today's admittedly much more high tech world...

ttystikk

ttystikk

These days buzzwords like 'SCROG', 'FIM' and "supercropping' are all the rage. It occurred to me that if people really knew how to train and prune their girls, they'd see increases in yield far beyond what something like switching nute brands might deliver.

So, what's the point of training your plants, anyway? I feel that the artificial indoor environment that many of us find ourselves in requires us to alter the plant's normal growth patterns in order to take maximum advantage of the conditions. The main condition training can address is light attenuation, or the inverse square law of light intensity. Time and time again, I see people with tall, skinny plants growing straight up into their light. They think, 'wow! I really killed it!' when in fact they're leaving 2,3 even 4 times their yield on the table. Here's what I mean when I say light drops off so drastically:

Light source; call it a 1000W HPS in a standard hood.

Let's round things off for illustrative purposes and say that at one foot distance, the light intensity is 10,000 lumens. I = intensity, D = distance

At two feet, that's I = 1/(D)squared, or 1/4 the intensity, or 2500 lumens.

At three feet, that works out to 1/9 the intensity, or about 1100 lumens

At 4 feet, we find 1/16th the light intensity, or just 625 lumens!

Think about it; if light decreases in intensity so quickly, then is it any wonder your prize top bud is getting scorched because it's growing into your hood? Or, any wonder when you see all these budding sites at the bottom of your plant but they never amount to anything- except places where your ladies have spent a lot of energy to grow, yet have little to show for it? Plants evolved to grow under sunlight. Yes, sunlight does attenuate just like an HID, but after 93 million miles from the brightest light source in the solar system it's not gonna be any weaker at sea level than it is on the mountain top!

Small wonder, then, that an annual like cannabis has evolved to grow straight up like mad, in order to get to that all-important light source. Only when it's grown up and shaded out other plants near it does it want to start spreading out. This is a highly effective survival strategy that... unfortunately... does not translate well to indoor grows.

First, even a 1000W HPS bulb only throws usable light about 4 feet. After that, it's too weak to produce a decent yield. On top of that, if you get much closer than about 18" then you run the risk of damaging the plant due to heat and light stress. This is not a good combination when dealing with a plant that wants to be tall, like a pine tree.

The topping and training system I described in my first post was optimized for a particular setup; indoors, low ceilings and a hood on a light rotator. Because the two were developed in tandem to work together, the results I got were predictable; excellent, and consistent.

I want to make something clear in this new thread from jump; I think one method of growing is NOT necessarily better or worse than any other, and I'm not going to get into any such pissing contest. My point and the aim of this thread is to discuss how different techniques can be used to maximize yield and quality for whatever setup you're using, and the more variety the better!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I've seen some pics and descriptions of grows shown in various threads where people are using wires to hold the branches down, usually the first branches coming off the mainstem. I think that's an excellent move to spread the plant early and set it up well for creating a broad, fladt canopy that efficiently soaks up the light.

If the light is coming down from above, then it makes sense to create a plant with a wide, flat canopy, as much like a dinner plate as possible. Set the light height to hit this level with optimum light and you can't help but to see better results!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I posted this to another thread about training plants. Forgive the repetition, but I think I explained my approach pretty well here:

I think proper training of your plants leads to better yield increases than almost any other technique, assuming you have your ducks in a row with nutes, lighting, temps, etc.

I have had great success with training plants so they end up flat across the top, up to three or even four feet across, while having 1k hps lighting shining down on them. This does the same thing as making 'green walls' and is much faster to grow, since the plant doesn't have as much stem length to grow out.

the technique works like this; first, top your little girl at 6" or so, and trim so she has 4 strong laterals.

Second, let those laterals grow out at least 6" each, tying them down so they continue to grow out rather than up.

Third, once they get to the desired length, tip the ends off each one, so that the budding sites along the length of each one start to grow.

Keep only the best two or three on each lateral branch, and as these start to grow out 3-6", top them as well, tying everything down so it continues to grow out in a radial pattern from the main stem.

Eventually, you'll use up your square footage and that's when you flip into bloom phase- and the best part is that it's easy to keep optimal distances between your buds and your lights, because the whole plant is flat!

Let me know what you think of this approach?

ttystikk

ttystikk

So far, I've seen some pictures of what others do to train their plants, but not many. Also, I notice that they do it at the beginning, but don't seem to continue training the plant- so it ends up with four or so relatively conventional branches, often fighting one another for space.

I used to use twine with a big loop at the end so I could move the tiedown around and optimize the plant's shape. Then, I discovered vine clips! Makes the whole tying down thing about 4 times easier! Also, since I'm using 8" net bucket lids, I drilled 4 holes around the edge of them, so I could thread my twine through. This makes for up to eight lines to do tiedowns with, and the whole thing is solid so that when I move my plants from stage to stage, I don't have to contend with anything moving around or trying to fall off.

Yes, I move my plants from one hydro system to another as part of an interval growing process. That meant I could not go with a SCROG style setup, since the nets are fixed in place. I've gotten some criticism about it from people suggesting the plants are too weak to move. HA! You do this right, the plants get STRONG, and have no trouble holding themselves up!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

thanks for posting,do you have any pics to show veg through flowering development?I agree that a nice flat shape in theory is much more efficient to light than tall arms reaching for the light.Did certain strains seem to perform/respond better to this technique?

ttystikk

ttystikk

thanks for posting,do you have any pics to show veg through flowering development?I agree that a nice flat shape in theory is much more efficient to light than tall arms reaching for the light.Did certain strains seem to perform/respond better to this technique?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do have one or two pictures. I wish I had more, but I can fix that too, eventually.

To answer your question about strain specific response, the different strains all need some modification of the basic approach. Maui Wowie sure doesn't need a lot of help bushing out! Chem Dog wants to be topped a lot, it likes to get leggy even with plenty of light. Heavy indica strains like Pez and Banana need a little more patience because the grow more slowly. I've never met a strain that simply couldn't tolerate being trained, they all gave better yields and quality using these techniques.

0525001430b
ttystikk

ttystikk

Re: what kind of grow style r best suited for aaw's

catdaddy said:
ttystikk said:
I think you're onto something about keeping things simple. I also think the single biggest thing you can do to improve your yield is to make sure the plant's structure is optimal for the indoor environment, that is, to top and train it so it's a bush, wide and flat across the top, so that you can get the largest amount of plant mass in the optimum distance zone from your light source. FIM is fine, but when you top keeping in mind the eventual structure of the plant is even more important. If you train the plant to grow out wide, you'll end up with plenty of budding sites, I promise! The main thing is to keep as many of the budding sites as possible at the same height, and top or tie down stuff that sticks up, so that the plant never shades itself out.

thanks.

at what point do you start topping? the reason i fim is because what i've been told. when you top you can only or suppose to top twice where as when you fim you can do it every 2 to 3 leaf set. what do you think about super cropping? have you ever tried it? from the research iv'e done it seems like the best training to do out of the 3. one thing that got me puzzled is to start training when the plant gets 4 or 5 nodes, what do they mean by that? do they mean 4 or 5 leaf sets? or do they mean 4 to 5 stems? thanks for your patience and understanding. i know it can be frustrating at times especially when you've been doing this for so long and teaching a newbie.

Bro, few things in this world give me more satisfaction than helping out a beginner who is serious about wanting to learn and get better at his craft. I consider my knowlege borrowed, and I give back every chance I get.

The trouble with FIM and supercropping and such is that they don't mention anything about the desired overall structure of the plant. Without a roadmap, no road will get you where you want to go, right? So instead of worrying about what specific technique to use when training your plant, begin with the end in mind. Then, the right approach will be clear.

So, if the desired end result is a strong, healthy plant with a broad, flat aspect, then the place to start is to make certain the plant branches out early in its development. I make the first top of my young plant just about the itme its developed a good root system and is showing strong growth. Some plants put out leaf sets in pairs, others stagger- but what you want to do is top it at the point where it can have 4 good strong branches coming off the leaf sets. I wouldn't necessarily use the very first sets, because often they're leftovers from the cloning process and aren't very strong. Definitely do it before the plant is over 8" tall though, and preferably sooner.

Once you've topped it the first time, you're going to have to wait for awhile to let it grow those side branches. As they grow, you'll see the top ones try to shade out the rest, so -gently!- bend them down and out, so they grow more out than up. Use stakes, or metal hooks or twine tiedowns- or vineclips, all these will do fine. Even at this early stage, you're already training the plant to grow broad- and this is an important point, because you can't go back later and make a stick branch out.

Once these side branches start lengthening to several inches or so, you should adjust your tiedowns outward so the tips don't turn up too quickly. At some point they'll be producing good leaf sets of their own and once that happens, the plant is due for another topping. Take the tips off these side branches, but leave the leaf sets on them. The idea is to multiply the growing tips of your plant every time you top, and then tie the plant down so they don't all shade one another out.

By now, you'll see that there's some scraggly stuff near the base of the plant. If it's not one of the 4 main branches you're using to grow the plant out, get rid of it. All it does is suck up growing energy from the productive top of the plant, and invites disease since it never gets good growth or good light.

A week or two later, you'll want to repeat the process. At this point, you'll see that the plant has spread out, developed a bunch of growing tips all over it, and your tiedowns have pulled it down and open so it's assuming the shape of a tree. That's exactly what you want. Train or top (or FIM!) the shoots that stick up above the canopy level you've set, so they don't try to steal the show and shade everything else out. I'm pretty happy with my creations when they're about 12-15" tall, and about 2 feet across and have something on the order of 16-32 budding sites across a flat top.

Stick that bad girl into flower, and don't worry, you can still tie down for the first couple weeks, so use that time to maintain the shape you've created. Position your adjust-a-wing above the plant about 30" or so, and a foot higher than that when it's young and more tender.

If you've done this right- and don't worry, it does take practice, so learn as you go- you're going to end up with a plant that looks like a green trash can lid of buds, each bud a good strong healthy 'top' cola that's spent its whole bloom phase soaking up the rays.

You can vary this technique by topping sooner or later to get smaller or larger flattop plants, depending on the size of your grow space, how big a plant you want, how many plants you're doing at once, etc.

>>Thought I’d post this on the topping and training thread, since it’s a good step by step on how I train my plants to maximize their ability to use artificial light from above. Obviously, if you’re using vertical lights and growing trees, this is not going to be your optimal approach…

catdaddy

catdaddy

very informative. actually one of the best threads i've seen on this topic, from a beginner stand point i feel, and once again i appreciate the solid advise. thanks.

A

AliasAO

Great Thread TtyStikk-- I learned a good amount and Ill be practicing with a few plants next grow around. The Logic is very solid. And the result speaks for itself. Good looking plants.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Great Thread TtyStikk-- I learned a good amount and Ill be practicing with a few plants next grow around. The Logic is very solid. And the result speaks for itself. Good looking plants.

Thanks for the kind words, my brother! If oyu like how those girls looked in that pic, you shoulda seen them when their trip thru the flowering zone was complete. To colas everywhere! Unfortunately I managed to lose those pics, like a dumbass...

D

DazedNconfussed

Ill take a pic of my scrog tonight....8'x12' scrog with 4k hps and 1k mh in the middle....i can pull up to 2 pounds per light of golfball size nugs....and its all in organic roots soil bags...i plant per bag....

A

AliasAO

Ill take a pic of my scrog tonight....8'x12' scrog with 4k hps and 1k mh in the middle....i can pull up to 2 pounds per light of golfball size nugs....and its all in organic roots soil bags...i plant per bag....

Yo dazed are you rocking the MH vertical? or in the middle on top?--

Does you use both MH and HPS the whole grow? if so... what do you find?

ttystikk

ttystikk

What to do with even light distribution

Even
Light
Distribution.

Nuff said.

...and that's fine, as far as it goes. The thing about even light distribution is that the plant doesn't necessarily know what to do with it- so that's where the grower comes in, training the plant to take best advantage of the conditions and environment.

Again, most of these plants are gnetically imprinted to grow tall so as to take full advantge of the sunlight, and to outcompete their neighbors. We have effectively removed both of those conditions; indoors, we've replaced sunlight which doesn't attenuate with distance with indoor lights that do, and we active manage our crop density, relieving the plant from having to fight for its place in the light.

The results of utilizing both even light distribution and topping and training the plants to have a wide, flat top to take maximum advantage of it are synergistic; together they provide better gains than would be realized by promoting either strategy alone.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Looking forward to your pics, brother!

ScrOG, or Screen o' Green, is an entirely compatible approach to taking maximum advantage of indoor lighting. The only reason I don't use it is because of the interval production approach I'm testing, which is to move plants from one environment optimized for their current needs to another as they grow, and I haven't figured out how to efficiently move the screen with the plant.

If the experiment doesn't work out, I'll happily do SCROG, cuz it's less work for the same results!

catdaddy

catdaddy

Looking forward to your pics, brother!

ScrOG, or Screen o' Green, is an entirely compatible approach to taking maximum advantage of indoor lighting. The only reason I don't use it is because of the interval production approach I'm testing, which is to move plants from one environment optimized for their current needs to another as they grow, and I haven't figured out how to efficiently move the screen with the plant.

If the experiment doesn't work out, I'll happily do SCROG, cuz it's less work for the same results!

quick ? do you or can you do a scrog with aaw's?

L

lewy

help

mate your a true legend you certainly enfizsize the saying knowledge is power
i have 36 on the go so can i pick your huge brain plz ? ive just topped all my plants the 2 shoots tha shoot up do i tie them down , and do i top again because as you can imagine they are the top of the plant most of them are all of the are direct skunk num 1 strains any tipps? lew

Latest posts

Top Bottom