topping plant

• Thread starter drunknbass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drunknbass

drunknbass

topping plant - bad clone?

I have a clone of pineapple express i wanted to top because last grow they got really out of control.
Problem is the way its growing i cant tell where id crop(if it continues growing the same)

Looking at the pic you can see the way its growing and growth tip doesnt come out with 2 shoots, it kinda comes out as one off to the side.

Topping plant
phenotyper

phenotyper

You can top the plant right after the last internode before they become tight. Clone that top. The other 2-4 side branches will rush to be apical growing tip, giving you multiple tops. So, top away! (Ps. it looks like your light is far from that lady. Give her some love and she will tighten the internodes.

drunknbass

drunknbass

so i should chop it under these irregular growths? inside the red circle or anywhere within that node?

and if i clone this top will it continue to grow f-ed up after it roots?

Screen Shot 2012 02 07 at 35522 PM
phenotyper

phenotyper

No, chop it two nodes above that. Both of those partially developed will explode with new growth after that. It will not continue to grow messed up if you correct the environmental issues. Some plants have long internodes, but like i said, looks like the light is too far away.

dextr0

dextr0

^^Ha, I was watching and wondering what you would say mane. Nice, exactly what I would do.

drunknbass

drunknbass

yea the light is a tad far now(20" away) i was going to move it closer but this clone just started growing fast a few days ago. Just wasnt sure if a bad tip was cloned and this kinda growth would continue forever because of it.

gonna chop at the arrow unless im a node off?

Screen Shot 2012 02 07 at 42338 PM
phenotyper

phenotyper

^^Ha, I was watching and wondering what you would say mane. Nice, exactly what I would do.

Hehe, this is not my first rodeo.

Yep, that is the correct node. If you make a clean cut, you should try to clone it. What kind of light is 20" away? HID or t5? What power?

drunknbass

drunknbass

Yep, that is the correct node. If you make a clean cut, you should try to clone it. What kind of light is 20" away? HID or t5? What power?

its a small 2' 2 bulb t-5. kinda why it was moved away was because it wasnt wide enough. I have a 2x2' 8 bulb t-5 going in its place in a few weeks so its just temporary.
next batch in this tray will have better lighting.

heres a pic from a week or so ago.
http://c.drunknbass.com/DuV5

ill probably move the light down a few inches above the t fittings later tonight.

dextr0

dextr0

Whoa, whoa, whoa...not what I meant to imply at all playa. I b watching (love the Blue Widow); I guess I was kind of patting myself on the back for having the right answer. Tell the truth most of the time I want to post a reply to what I would do; but end up second guessing what I should or should not tell the next person. Definitely wouldn't want to give wrong info out...EVER.

its a small 2' 2 bulb t-5. kinda why it was moved away was because it wasnt wide enough. I have a 2x2' 8 bulb t-5 going in its place in a few weeks so its just temporary.
next batch in this tray will have better lighting.

heres a pic from a week or so ago.
http://c.drunknbass.com/DuV5

ill probably move the light down a few inches above the t fittings later tonight.

That was a killer observation from pheno; Get them lights right on top of that girl. With a hid light it would b different, but flouro go ahead and get an inch or two away. Put your hand under that (top of plant) and see if its too hot for your hand. If its uncomfortable at all move it further away an inch or two.

L

LittleAmsterdam

Alternating nodes make her a GREAT plant for SCROG

SCROG and LST are GREAT Techniques for plants that stretch during flowering. The additional training helps keep an even canopy and more buds

drunknbass

drunknbass

Alternating nodes make her a GREAT plant for SCROG

SCROG and LST are GREAT Techniques for plants that stretch during flowering. The additional training helps keep an even canopy and more buds

i did a scrog on my last grow but i went too big and made 4'x4' screens and was a bitch to get close enough to the plants to keep them "pretty".

I was going to try a run of sog next time thinking id be less work if i needed to get inside and do work.

my flowering tent is only 8'x4' so if they get too large i really have no access anymore.

and i typically run the t5s a few inches away but all i had handy for this tray was a small 2footer and the plants outgrew it pretty fast.

L

LittleAmsterdam

I agree, the extra equipment needed for SCROG takes up a lot of room and can be frustrating. That's why I prefer LST. I like to bend and tie the tall branches down. Easy to maintain and train.

Your plant's growth habits dictate what growing technique you'll be using. SOG are best with short indicas. Your girl looks like a tall sativa. She will stretch no matter how much you cut her back. That's the reason I recommended SCROG or LST.

LST Rocks ! I'll find a link to the particular LST trick I use :)

drunknbass

drunknbass

I agree, the extra equipment needed for SCROG takes up a lot of room and can be frustrating. That's why I prefer LST. I like to bend and tie the tall branches down. Easy to maintain and train.

Your plant's growth habits dictate what growing technique you'll be using. SOG are best with short indicas. Your girl looks like a tall sativa. She will stretch no matter how much you cut her back. That's the reason I recommended SCROG or LST.

LST Rocks ! I'll find a link to the particular LST trick I use :)

yea thats true, i was hoping id be able to just have a bunch of little trees going but this PE is stretchy.

I actually had 2 side by side under a 4' and one of them was def more of a 'grower' but after some mechanical issues i had to tear down the scrog and then i realized the smaller plant didnt catch up in growth, the larger actually had its main shoot grow into and through the other and out the other side(around 10 long'). lol
ill prob stick to lst this time. i lst'ed them before the scrog last time and it went fairly well, but would have been better if i could have started from the get go and made more of a spiral shape instead of just randomly tying down the branches as they got too long.

and i didnt even notice that node had 2 shoots coming off it, i must have glanced at it cause i only saw one :mad0229:

Latest posts

Top Bottom