Traces of Botrytis On 14oz- what to do?

• Thread starter bassy7
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bassy7

bassy7

First time THC farming.
Long story short….

I watched my 4 Sour Diesel plants like a hawk, read books to them, and played frisbee with them….

Outdoor plants in my vegetable garden.

I was on the verge of harvesting, but was going to hold out for a few more days. Then I spotted 2 small patches of Bud Rot (botrytis) on 2 separate buds.
I cut those off, and decided to harvest that very day to reduce the risk of it spreading.

I hung them all up in a dehumidified space for 7 days…at which point they seemed very crispy.
Then I dry trimmed them. It literally took all day.
14.5 total ounces of SD bud!

Yet the mold thing stayed in my mind…
I have had them in curing GroveBags for 48 hours, and keep opening the bags to let out any excess moisture. These bags don’t typcially require that, but I am very paranoid about the Botrytis spreading.

With very close inspection on some buds, I can find a very tiny spot or 2 of the the Botrytis Mycelium Fibers.

It is literally a trace amount that must best searched for with a loupe— yet I fear the worst for this massive amount of bud.
See the attached photos, the super imposed red circle on the bud in one photo is the only spot I found on this particular bud. The more I look…..I am certain I will just find a tiny spot here and there.

What are my options to save this bud?

Can I superdry some of this and keep it super dry, to save it for smoking in the future and stop the spread?

Should I just strip all the THC from it now with EverClear before the mold can spread?
I can always use some of that for tincture, and Evaporate some of it down to honey.
Considering that only the smallest trace amounts of Botrytis are present, Would that honey be safe to smoke, or should I just stick to tincture to play it safe?

I am very proud and excited for this huge yield as a first time grower—- But feel that I need to take some immediate action to make the best of this situation before it worse.

AB0A1833 DBA0 4E0B AC5D D7E38BAD6422
EB811D5D A92D 4E62 84AC 09EB4F195860
3FE56AF1 BA6B 4E1B 9F5C C22CAAF2200B
8A0C828B DF30 486E A516 7B577DE3A1DF
3D2CAE4A 3641 4511 B426 B568A8E218C6
4BB68C9E ECCE 4DA5 968A CC03B689AA47
nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Fear not! Bud rot typically does not continue to grow and spread once buds are harvested and dried. You can easily cut out the tiny amounts you might find in trimming dry buds. Bud rot thrives on moisture and as soon as you harvest you stop the moisture flow up through the stems. Happy smoking!

bassy7

bassy7

Fear not! Bud rot typically does not continue to grow and spread once buds are harvested and dried. You can easily cut out the tiny amounts you might find in trimming dry buds. Bud rot thrives on moisture and as soon as you harvest you stop the moisture flow up through the stems. Happy smoking!
I feel like these buds would be safer, if their moisture content was kept lower than the typical preferred level.
I laid them all out last night, and put them into a space with a dehumidifier set to 45%.

These buds have all been comingled, so I suspect there is some level of spore contamination in most or all of it.

What is working in my favor is that so many of these buds are pretty light and airy— its really the larger buds that have some fuzz spots in the core. The smaller less dense ones might have no spots, or one tiny spot or 2 as shown in the photo.

bassy7

bassy7

Sounds like all the frisbee kept them in decent shape.
Haha, I was really just trying to express how much love and attention I have given these plants over the last 3 months.
10000% More than any other plant I have ever grown.

it was a ton of effort and time. I would really like to keep some of it smokeable if I can.

Jimmie

Jimmie

I’m in the same boat. I’m basically an old man, 63. I’ve been smoking weed for over 40 yrs. I’ve smoked all kinds of crappy weed. If you grew it and removed the mold, I say go for it. I know I’m bucking most of the opinions here,but I say clean it and smoke it. If you die, you’ll die with a shit eating grin.

bassy7

bassy7

I’m in the same boat. I’m basically an old man, 63. I’ve been smoking weed for over 40 yrs. I’ve smoked all kinds of crappy weed. If you grew it and removed the mold, I say go for it. I know I’m bucking most of the opinions here,but I say clean it and smoke it. If you die, you’ll die with a shit eating grin.
Most of us have smoked more of the actual BLACK/BROWN mexican compacted garbage weed that looks like more like mulch or leaves than we would like to admit.

For me, 14.5oz of this strong stuff, is probably enough for the rest of my life.
I would be gifting much of this to friends and family though.

Jimmie

Jimmie

I’m lining up people to give it away. Gonna end up with 2+ lbs. way more then I’ll ever need.

Jimmie

Jimmie

Got a bunch of stuff I’m always doing, maybe I’ll give it a whirl next yr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom