As Designed Track of past post and threads started

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

Is this feature lost or is it me. It was the only way for me to remember to answer peoples posts. Thanks JK

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
It changed.

You can mouse over alerts, top right of screen. Quick way, but also shows more than just the watched threads.
Screen shot 2012 03 24 at 21432 PM

TO get just your "subscriptions" go to Watched Threads (top left of screen)

Old site = Subscriptions
New Site = Watched Threads.
Screen shot 2012 03 24 at 21536 PM

Fyi, private messages are now called conversations.

Hope that helps`, appreciate it when you share.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Has anyone else noticed a bug with the 'alerts' notification? I've been using it just as JK mentions above, but finally realized that only some of the threads I'm 'watching' are actually appearing under alerts when someone posts. Im starting to notice this by first reading my alerts and then checking the 'what's new' link, only to find more new posts in threads I'm already watching (which didn't show up under alerts).

Did some thread subscriptions get corrupted even where the thread wasn't lost? Am i just pointing out the obvious?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Has anyone else noticed a bug with the 'alerts' notification? I've been using it just as JK mentions above, but finally realized that only some of the threads I'm 'watching' are actually appearing under alerts when someone posts. Im starting to notice this by first reading my alerts and then checking the 'what's new' link, only to find more new posts in threads I'm already watching (which didn't show up under alerts).

Did some thread subscriptions get corrupted even where the thread wasn't lost? Am i just pointing out the obvious?

The alert is set up to tell you the first time that someone has replied to a thread you're watching and it includes the note, 'there may be more after this'. Notifications sent on the old system were set up the same way.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

The alert is set up to tell you the first time that someone has replied to a thread you're watching and it includes the note, 'there may be more after this'. Notifications sent on the old system were set up the same way.

Yeah I get that, but as an example, I didn't get an alert that you posted above, and just came back to check this thread manually today. Looks like I'm getting alerts for some watched threads but not all, in fact it's missing quite a few. Today I checked my alerts first then went to the actual "watched threads" link to find a bunch more subbed threads with new unread posts that weren't indicated in 'alerts'. This is happening constantly for me since the version upgrade.

ttystikk

ttystikk

hmmm... I had to go back and make sure I was actually still subscribed to all the threads I thought I was. Some I'd missed and until I re-subscribed, I didn't see any activity on them either.

One more possibility; when you click on 'watched threads', you'll notice the descriptor reads "Unread Watched Threads". Personally, I hate this. I want to see all the threads I've subscribed to, every time. Fortunately, there is a way to do this: If you scroll to the bottom of the list, there is a small line in grey text that says, "show all watched threads". Click on THAT and you'll see all the threads you've subscribed to.

ttystikk

ttystikk

By the way, the same thing goes for the 'What's New' page; in order to see threads that you were the last respondent to, you need to click the 'see all recent threads' text. Again, requiring this extra step makes no sense and bugs me greatly. I'd much rather just see all new threads, whether I was the last contributor or not. It's easy enough; only the ones I haven't responded to last are in bold.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

hmmm... I had to go back and make sure I was actually still subscribed to all the threads I thought I was. Some I'd missed and until I re-subscribed, I didn't see any activity on them either.

Yes, I went back and checked after the upgrade, everything seemed in order re my subbed threads (although I sub a lot and could have forgotten some of the older ones). Still don't think that affected what I'm describing, but interesting to hear some of your subs got lost (even to threads that weren't lost in the upgrade?)

One more possibility; when you click on 'watched threads', you'll notice the descriptor reads "Unread Watched Threads". Personally, I hate this. I want to see all the threads I've subscribed to, every time. Fortunately, there is a way to do this: If you scroll to the bottom of the list, there is a small line in grey text that says, "show all watched threads". Click on THAT and you'll see all the threads you've subscribed to.
Ok just checked that out too, interesting and I hadn't noticed before, but also unrelated. Seems weird that both those links use 'unreads' as default.

The more we discuss this [my orig question] the more it seems like a system bug to me.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Bughunts. The single biggest reason I didn't grow up to be a programmer. Azamax is soooo much easier than compiling FORTRAN, lol!

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Ha, fortran = old dude (me too), at least old within IT culture. So I've been watching my alerts while we're both posting live, and fwiw this thread finally just showed up. I wonder if maybe there's a timeout difference between alerts vs the watched link? Like maybe they only show as new for a certain period under alerts? Any feedback from admin?

ttystikk

ttystikk

Ha, fortran = old dude (me too), at least old within IT culture. So I've been watching my alerts while we're both posting live, and fwiw this thread finally just showed up. I wonder if maybe there's a timeout difference between alerts vs the watched link? Like maybe they only show as new for a certain period under alerts? Any feedback from admin?

You want old? I did my first programming on BASIC, lol. Talk about a dinosaur... the language, not me! Yet...

I just keep hitting the text that says I can see all threads, both on the new and watched/ subscribed pages...

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Shouldn't we receive an an email alert for the first new post to a watched thread? I know that I am only receiving random email alerts for new posts in watched threads... The majority of the time I don't receive any email alert at all...

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Shouldn't we receive an an email alert for the first new post to a watched thread? I know that I am only receiving random email alerts for new posts in watched threads... The majority of the time I don't receive any email alert at all...
not sure cause I have that turned off, just using the cp pulldowns

chos3n

chos3n

It seems that after you post in a thread, a little picture of your avatar is places next to the title. Nice touch, makes it easy for me to see what threads I've posted in.

organicness

organicness

Is there a way to get a daily digest like before? Instead of getting tons of emails every day (Ok, so I'm lame and sit by my computer most of the day... so sue me.)?

Thanks!

T

TECK

If you subscribe to a thread and 5 people reply to it, you will receive ONLY 1 email alert telling you that people replied to your thread. You will not receive new emails unless you visit your thread. Once you viewed the all posts into thread, we record that and will send a new email if other people reply after. That is done to save server resources, we send every day thousands of emails. :)

Is there a way to get a daily digest like before?
Unfortunately, no.

Top Bottom