Training Technique Help

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

Hey everyone!
Keeping K.I.S.S. and the fact that this only my 2 grow in mind... which training technique would maximize yield?
This is 'Blue Bell': she's of the Blue Power strain and photoperiod with a 6-10 week flower. She's been in Coco since 1/30/19 with high lumen CFLs in a grow tent. Hope that's enough info...pls remember K.I.S.S. for me thanks ahead of time!!
Training technique help

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Do you let your coco dry? It looks a bit dry and while i’m a “peat” guy, the first thing i heard from “coco” people that you should not let it dry. It looks nice by the way.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey everyone!
Keeping K.I.S.S. and the fact that this only my 2 grow in mind... which training technique would maximize yield?
This is 'Blue Bell': she's of the Blue Power strain and photoperiod with a 6-10 week flower. She's been in Coco since 1/30/19 with high lumen CFLs in a grow tent. Hope that's enough info...pls remember K.I.S.S. for me thanks ahead of time!!View attachment 855019
CFL's while they will get you thru flower, if max yields is what your after, when you can afford it upgrade your lighting.

That said if you are having to deal with cfl I would scrog or LST to keep your canopy spread out and even, reason being is light penetration with cfl,s isn't good at all. LEDS or hids will max your yields along with proper training. But we all had to start somewhere. :D

When you can afford it and after some cfl practice and learning training upgrade your lighting for much better yields. :smoking:

420.hydro

420.hydro

Do you let your coco dry? It looks a bit dry and while i’m a “peat” guy, the first thing i heard from “coco” people that you should not let it dry. It looks nice by the way.
no it only looks dry on top; Blue Bella was watered earlier that day; my understanding that it shouldn't be overwatered either, it should be allowed to dry out between waterings based on weight at the start. and thanks

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
no it only looks dry on top; Blue Bella was watered earlier that day; my understanding that it shouldn't be overwatered either, it should be allowed to dry out between waterings based on weight at the start. and thanks

Coco always hold sufficient air and everytime you water you also introduce more air with the water. So it should always stay wet is my understanding on the subject. Its not a good practise to treat it like soil and wait for it to get light. But again not a coco guy so i’m sure someone else with actual experience will chime in.

420.hydro

420.hydro

CFL's while they will get you thru flower, if max yields is what your after, when you can afford it upgrade your lighting.

That said if you are having to deal with cfl I would scrog or LST to keep your canopy spread out and even, reason being is light penetration with cfl,s isn't good at all. LEDS or hids will max your yields along with proper training. But we all had to start somewhere. :D

When you can afford it and after some cfl practice and learning training upgrade your lighting for much better yields. :smoking:
Apologies but I double checked my lighting...the main light is an agrobrite cfl (125w) to start and i'll add 4 LED spots (120w each) shortly and do plan to upgrade LEDs...
scrog and LST was what i was thinking also!!! THANKS

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Coco always hold sufficient air and everytime you water you also introduce more air with the water. So it should always stay wet is my understanding on the subject. Its not a good practise to treat it like soil and wait for it to get light. But again not a coco guy so i’m sure someone else with actual experience will chime in.
Ya mon. Never dry. I m in 50/50 promix (peat)/coco and I love it big time. I almost let it dry like peat but I can just send it bro. Hard to overwater but also doesn’t dry up too fast. (Can go a few days without watering although not ideal) I noticed I get best results ph ing somewhere in between recommended for both mediums. Say 6.3-6.4 but not low as pure coco. Keep in mind coco is 5.8-6.2 ish range btw.

Anyways a very simple way is to bend/break main stem and ‘supercrop’ I can find a link and post it for you if you need. It’s simple and faster than topping (not better just faster and easy)

420.hydro

420.hydro

thanks for the input but for my first grow that's how i was instructed to water and i have clay pellets mixed into coco to help hold water & break up mass too..and the coco doesn't dried out overall completely; i slowly feed a 3 gal fiber pot until i see nute leak out the bottom of pot; 'checking the weight' by lifting slightly between feedings; when it gets lighter i feed her...

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ya mon. Never dry. I m in 50/50 promix (peat)/coco and I love it big time. I almost let it dry like peat but I can just send it bro. Hard to overwater but also doesn’t dry up too fast. (Can go a few days without watering although not ideal) I noticed I get best results ph ing somewhere in between recommended for both mediums. Say 6.3-6.4 but not low as pure coco. Keep in mind coco is 5.8-6.2 ish range btw.

Anyways a very simple way is to bend/break main stem and ‘supercrop’ I can find a link and post it for you if you need. It’s simple and faster than topping (not better just faster and easy)

Yeah why not. Send it over bro. I utilise supercropping a whole lot. :D
I even get sick of watering my peat mix every 2 days. Can’t handle coco with a double or triple watering. Don’t know how straight coco people do it. :D

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

thanks for the input but for my first grow that's how i was instructed to water and i have clay pellets mixed into coco to help hold water & break up mass too..and the coco doesn't dried out overall completely; i slowly feed a 3 gal fiber pot until i see nute leak out the bottom of pot; 'checking the weight' by lifting slightly between feedings; when it gets lighter i feed her...
My wife tries to ‘instruct’ me also man, no worries. :smoking: Rock on! Lol. Just buggin. Seriously tho I looked close at the pic again and that’s the driest gol durn coco I’ve ever seen in my life man. Do what you want but I’m trying to water that shit through my screen right now

Srenots

Srenots

Hey everyone!
This is 'Blue Bell': she's of the Blue Power strain and photoperiod with a 6-10 week flower. She's been in Coco since 1/30/19 with high lumen CFLs in a grow tent. Hope that's enough info...pls remember K.I.S.S. for me thanks ahead of time!!View attachment 855019
yep, always keep coco moist...rock n roll bro

420.hydro

420.hydro

Fer a lil wee seedlin try drippin a bit once and a while to keep er moist instead of flooding TIL runoff. That’s for when the plant gets going.
this what i do also if i think she needs it...thanks everyone but my coco may look dry but under that top layer maybe a 1/2" underneath it's (wait for it...) MOIST!:D the pic was taken after like 8 hrs of feeding...she is well cared for...

Madmax

Madmax

Def go lst alone or then scrog.best way to make the most of your space annnd head room
Id keep tying down 2 weeks into the flip to keep that stretching at bay...cmh are spose to b good for keeping them short.........Goodluck with the grow

Cheer max

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Rawk is not really my thing
I’m more of a freaky guy

Nice! Love those kiwi bastards. Such a good show
this what i do also if i think she needs it...thanks everyone but my coco may look dry but under that top layer maybe a 1/2" underneath it's (wait for it...) MOIST!:D the pic was taken after like 8 hrs of feeding...she is well cared for...
We only givin you a hard time on this debate cause we (wait for it...) CARE! Lol :p yes the top being dry but moist underneath means your all g... IN PEAT lol. The point in making is I’d never let even the top layer or any part of that coco get cripseh mmmkay? Thats all I’m jibbin on about.

420.hydro

420.hydro

Nice! Love those kiwi bastards. Such a good show

We only givin you a hard time on this debate cause we (wait for it...) CARE! Lol :p yes the top being dry but moist underneath means your all g... IN PEAT lol. The point in making is I’d never let even the top layer or any part of that coco get cripseh mmmkay? Thats all I’m jibbin on about.
thanks for caring!!! here's the latest...

Bluebell
Top Bottom