trans planting root bound plants

• Thread starter exoticgreenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
exoticgreenthumb

exoticgreenthumb

So I started my girls early before my facility was done, I had them in #2s for like 4 months they are big but the roots are soooo tight and bound that when I put them into my 25s they have been dieing is there any way to cut the roots to let them start regrouping without killing the plants? ive had some in 25s for 2 months and the roots haven't spread out of the ball and now are turning really yellow and dieing. I do have 2 month olds to refill the bud room if I can't get these to start being healthy again.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Dig them up and break the rootball up. Break it up and spread it out. Don’t ever transplant the lump without loosening it up. If you water a couple days ahead of time it usually breaks itself up when you handle. Don’t be afraid to touch the roots.

chemistry

chemistry

Do you mean four months in veg, or are you in flower now?

exoticgreenthumb

exoticgreenthumb

Do you mean four months in veg, or are you in flower now?
they've been in veg 4 months which is nothing new for me but I never kept them in that small of pots that long usually like now cause the new facility is running I transplant every 4 weeks until they are in 25s then wait til they are 6-8ft tall flip to bud

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
pics muight be helpful. I suggest only repotting a size up, if you got really tight roots.

Say for instance, 1 gal would go into 2-3 gal at max, preferably 2 gals, so you can control the wet much better.

Bottom line, your going to have lots of drainage along the outside, and dry spots in the center. It becomes an imperative to slowly water the root zone.... until new rootlets develop.

Saturating though the entire root system is paramount to this exercise everytime, or bad things will occur.

Roots
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

pics muight be helpful. I suggest only repotting a size up, if you got really tight roots.

Say for instance, 1 gal would go into 2-3 gal at max, preferably 2 gals, so you can control the wet much better.

Bottom line, your going to have lots of drainage along the outside, and dry spots in the center. It becomes an imperative to slowly water the root zone.... until new rootlets develop.

Saturating though the entire root system is paramount to this exercise everytime, or bad things will occur.
Break that up! Soak it slowly and wait for absorption? Then wait for new roots from it? Lol. Soak it enough to break it up. Spread them out in the new container. Roots don’t die from being touched.

Top Bottom