Transitional Light Increase from indoor to outdoor?.

• Thread starter Sunbiz1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunbiz1

Hey all,

I transplanted a 2' from a 2 gal into a 5 gal 2 days ago. This plant was in a south window for over 2 months(only natural sun). Before I left, I moved it into the back yard. Upon returning home, it is not a happy camper...in a span of 3 hours!.

Can a sudden increase in direct sun cause a plant to go into shock?

Thanks for any input.

Biz

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It can burn it, yes. The glass filtered total radiation, and likely a good bit of total UV radiation.

Acclimate her a little more slowly, using either dappled shade or a shade cloth, moving the plant under direct sunlight for increasing durations. She'll grow out of it either way, though, even if you just leave her there.

S

Sunbiz1

It can burn it, yes. The glass filtered total radiation, and likely a good bit of total UV radiation.

Acclimate her a little more slowly, using either dappled shade or a shade cloth, moving the plant under direct sunlight for increasing durations. She'll grow out of it either way, though, even if you just leave her there.

Thanks Sea,

Light shock is completely new to me, I think I'll leave this one out though anyways. The plant is one of my grow indoor hermie projects using partial sun along w/supp lighting.

I'm going to take a pic right now, poor thing looks like one of my old purple passion houseplants after transplanting.

Happy Holiday!

http://i1133.invalid.com/albums/m596/sunbiz1/001-1.jpg

Poor girl...and my second girl doing well

http://i1133.invalid.com/albums/m596/sunbiz1/002.jpg

S

Sunbiz1

First girl isn't as droopy as the pic I just posted per edit, hopefully it will adapt.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok, that droopiness shouldn't be the result of being put out in the sun. Scorching of the leaves (they turn white and get crispy) is normal, that droop is a problem. I'm going to suggest it's transpiration, but the road that takes us down is watering more and care needs to be taken to NOT overwater. Not knowing the temperatures in combination with relative humidity, I'm just going to suggest misting and paying close attention to the moisture levels in the planting media.

S

Sunbiz1

Ok, that droopiness shouldn't be the result of being put out in the sun. Scorching of the leaves (they turn white and get crispy) is normal, that droop is a problem. I'm going to suggest it's transpiration, but the road that takes us down is watering more and care needs to be taken to NOT overwater. Not knowing the temperatures in combination with relative humidity, I'm just going to suggest misting and paying close attention to the moisture levels in the planting media.

That plant has been a problem for a while, I was going to pitch it but all the crazy growth intrigued me. The seed came from that same hemie mom in the other thread but the leaves are sativa shaped. The plant never stretched, in fact just the opposite...it's more of a dwarf. She looks better this AM, much better in fact...only a few lower branches are droopy and the crown is responding to 8 hours of direct sun. Perhaps it was a delayed transplant shock?, it was root bound and I did cut the swirl of roots slightly in 2 places to promote vertical tap. The problem with using 5 gals is the soil tends to compact very quickly, at least mine does b/c I like using outdoor soil I have composted over the years. I just had to re-pot one in a 5 gal that was partially root bound, the soil had compacted midway down the bucket. I drilled more holes in the buckets and re-planted after mixing a bit of sand into the existing soil.

For those using large plastic containers, I recommend an inch or 2 of straight sand prior to adding your medium...I've noticed better yield by doing so.

Happy 4th Sea/All!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lighten the soil up with something organic such as rice hulls (my favorite!). I no longer put anything special on the bottoms of pots since I noticed no nurseries ever do that and, side-by-side, note no real differences in drainage.

That level of cutting you did on the roots is not sufficient to cause that kind of response, in my experience. I can honestly state that many, if not most here, would be horrified if they knew what I do to root balls, and only in the most extreme cases (as in what amounts to complete elimination of root mass) do I cause that sort of response. I'm still guessing that the plant experienced a transpiration issue and lost too much moisture in its tissues too quickly, which cannabis usually recovers from very quickly, in as little as 20 minutes as I've often observed.

I went outside to harvest some salad greens and it's too hot to do that, but I also found fucking pinchbugs AND a bunch of shit (not from the pinchbugs, probably a caterpillar of some sort) down in my beautiful greens! I'm so pissed I could bend a Frisbee in half and shove it up someone's ass. Whoa... that's harsh. Maybe I'm not quite that pissed, annoyed is more like it. Whew! hadta get that out, sorry. :makeup

Happy Independence Day to you, too!

Blaze

Blaze

I no longer put anything special on the bottoms of pots since I noticed no nurseries ever do that and, side-by-side, note no real differences in drainage.

Yep, the nurseries do not do it for a very good reason too. Placing rocks or gravel or anything like that on the bottom of a pot actually creates a pressure differential and make the pot drain more SLOWLY than if it had nothing on the bottom. Always cracks me up when I see people lining their pots to "increase drainage." I don't know who started that wives tale but they should be slapped.

Those plants do not look too light burned to me, I would be more worried about the droop. Shade cloth is your friend, remember that :)

S

Sunbiz1

Yep, the nursery do not do it for a very good reason too. Placing rocks or gravel or anything like that on the bottom of a pot actually creates a pressure differential and make the pot drain more SLOWLY that if it had nothing on the bottom. Always cracks me up when I see people lining their pots to "increase" drainage." I don't know who started that wives tale but they should be slapped.

Those plants do not look too light burned to me, I would be more worried about the droop. Shade cloth is your friend, remember that :)

OK, so scrap the sand idea...lol. You sure an inch would create pressure variance?....I ask b/c it's less than 5% of the volume.

S

Sunbiz1

Lighten the soil up with something organic such as rice hulls (my favorite!). I no longer put anything special on the bottoms of pots since I noticed no nurseries ever do that and, side-by-side, note no real differences in drainage.

That level of cutting you did on the roots is not sufficient to cause that kind of response, in my experience. I can honestly state that many, if not most here, would be horrified if they knew what I do to root balls, and only in the most extreme cases (as in what amounts to complete elimination of root mass) do I cause that sort of response. I'm still guessing that the plant experienced a transpiration issue and lost too much moisture in its tissues too quickly, which cannabis usually recovers from very quickly, in as little as 20 minutes as I've often observed.

I went outside to harvest some salad greens and it's too hot to do that, but I also found fucking pinchbugs AND a bunch of shit (not from the pinchbugs, probably a caterpillar of some sort) down in my beautiful greens! I'm so pissed I could bend a Frisbee in half and shove it up someone's ass. Whoa... that's harsh. Maybe I'm not quite that pissed, annoyed is more like it. Whew! hadta get that out, sorry. :makeup

Happy Independence Day to you, too!

That frisbee sounds painful, is seaweed spray an option?....not sure if it even works on pinch bugs, our pest insects are more the mite/aphid variety. I forgot all about rice hulls, thanks!.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Nope, doesn't work against pinchbugs. I know because it's part of my regular regimen, though I haven't had to spray the salad greens much at all. In fact, I've had the fewest pest issues on the salad greens than anything else I'm growing ATM.

Pinchbugs are difficult to eradicate, control is what I'm hoping for. Last night we set out a bunch of pieces of old hose, chopped up into 2' lengths, as traps. After my husband leaves for work (but before it gets too hot) I'm going out with a bucket of soapy water to see what they caught, hopefully I'll have lots and lots of bug bodies to compost.

S

Sunbiz1

Mornin' Sea,

How do you bait them into 2' lengths, or do they naturally like the enclosed environment?. Also, looks like you were right on the transpiration. The plant is doing much better....and it did need more water. I had forgotten how quickly even 5 gals dry out in direct sun, indoors it's water every 7-10 days w/my set relative humidity. Outdoors on cloudless days, it's almost every 72 hours here. You mentioned UV inhibiting glass a while back. While modern glass is now specifically designed to block, my home has the original putty glaze from 1906...they didn't even invent sunglasses until the late 1920's.

That's why I love the Fall, I can flower completely in South facing windows.

Have a good day!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The hose pieces were a fail. I think my husband mentioned something about soy sauce and oil, but I don't know if he used it. I don't think it's so necessary when you're just providing a hiding place, simply because I can turn over anything, even a piece of weed-block that holds zero moisture, and they'll come pouring out. We'll have to try something else for the pinchbugs.

I just harvested so many salad greens (so much?) that I had to use the steel bowl that's big enough to bathe a small child, the biggest pasta pot we have (that I could get to, not the 5gal pot) and then I had to go clean out one of my 5gal buckets and it is filled almost to the brim with greens. A LOT more caterpillar poo, this isn't from pinchbugs, no way. Plus, I found a bunch of green 'pillars at different stages of development. Now that I've harvested all the greens I'll give the area a bit of a washing off, then apply a combination of Bt and seaweed, with a focus on gettin' down in there.

I will be having as cool a day as I can muster! 72F ain't bad at all, we're a bit warmer at the moment.

I'm glad you got the plant issues sorted.

S

Sunbiz1

The hose pieces were a fail. I think my husband mentioned something about soy sauce and oil, but I don't know if he used it. I don't think it's so necessary when you're just providing a hiding place, simply because I can turn over anything, even a piece of weed-block that holds zero moisture, and they'll come pouring out. We'll have to try something else for the pinchbugs.

I just harvested so many salad greens (so much?) that I had to use the steel bowl that's big enough to bathe a small child, the biggest pasta pot we have (that I could get to, not the 5gal pot) and then I had to go clean out one of my 5gal buckets and it is filled almost to the brim with greens. A LOT more caterpillar poo, this isn't from pinchbugs, no way. Plus, I found a bunch of green 'pillars at different stages of development. Now that I've harvested all the greens I'll give the area a bit of a washing off, then apply a combination of Bt and seaweed, with a focus on gettin' down in there.

I will be having as cool a day as I can muster! 72F ain't bad at all, we're a bit warmer at the moment.

I'm glad you got the plant issues sorted.

Morning Sea,

Good to see this place is still around, couldn't access it until late last night. Ugg, we haven't had any rain in almost a month. That means I have to make the dreaded watering trip this weekend, wish I could hire someone for that but they'd never find them even if I drew maps...lol. The plants are doing much better, actually it was only the 1 causing the problem. And this hermie experiment is going well, plant 1 has nothing but white pistils thus far. Plant #2 just went on 12 hour cycle last night, and I'll probably add 2 more to 12 in the next week cuz they have been vegging since March and are getting huge.

Have you found a solution to the earwigs?, I haven't seen those since my old Florida growing days when I used to plant in the Everglades amongst the gators. Never had to worry about 2 legged creatures stealing my plants down there...lol!.

Biz

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The solution begins with clearing clutter and, get this, removing mulches. I'm not removing my mulches, they do a lot more good than bad. The next tricks involve traps that contain the bait, like cans buried in the dirt and the like.

Because we've been having big problems with ants invading electrical outlets and the like, I'm going to go nuts with DE around the perimeter of the house. It should work well as long as we don't get anymore rain. Nothing as far as rain to speak of at this elevation, but for the past few days the folks in the high country have been getting a real show what with the thunderstorms and lightening strikes.

I will likely never spend the sort of money on fighting earwigs that I have on fighting two-legged vermin. Fencing is expensive!

S

Sunbiz1

Tell me about it, was just adding up how much it would cost me to switch to Foxfarm soils. Since I never re-use dirt, it would cost over $300 for 10 plants...think I'll stick to my own compost blend. Yet I broke down yesterday... bought some Kush at 18 bucks/gm black market. That expenditure I easily justified, can hardly type at the moment...hehe!. You might wish to try molasses, any cooking oil, and soy sauce for the bait, I've heard it to be effective.

Have a good day!

Top Bottom