Transitioning From Dtw Coco Coir To Rockwool

• Thread starter ethcan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
login

login

That looks like my smartbee graph.
I water every 24 hours in veg. In a 50/25/25 Coco croutons/ricehulls/coco pith mix. And 3-4 watering in flower in 7 gallon pots.
I set the Threshold at 40% water content if it drops below 40% the pump will kick on for 20 seconds. Until the regular irrigation Cycles.
This normally is only a problem about an hour before the lights come on.

N

nicolajanjak

with big plants in relatively small containers, i find coco really similar to mineral wool

the thing with rw is that it allow smaller dryback for optimal growth ... (so faster growth)

if you use a moisture sensor and take measurement at the middle of a hugo cube (horizontally) you will find around 80% WC at first soaking. but as the plant will establish, the medium must hold less moisture..

tats why grodan advise 75% moisture content for veg, with 20 % dryback during night.. and 60% water content for bloom, with 20-25% dryback)but imo this will only works if the grower do some wet/dry cycles after transplant to build a solid root mass ... around 30 % dryback maybe even 40 not sure

i noticed plants must be treated generative to produce roots

the coco i used was giving pretty much the same values .. (in smartpots 1 gal ). this coco didnt have chips or big chunks, it was water retensive coco, but still great

i would just use slightly bigger dryback than rw cubes, and also because coco dont seem to really have moisture gradiant like rockwool cubes ..

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
with big plants in relatively small containers, i find coco really similar to mineral wool

the thing with rw is that it allow smaller dryback for optimal growth ... (so faster growth)

if you use a moisture sensor and take measurement at the middle of a hugo cube (horizontally) you will find around 80% WC at first soaking. but as the plant will establish, the medium must hold less moisture..

tats why grodan advise 75% moisture content for veg, with 20 % dryback during night.. and 60% water content for bloom, with 20-25% dryback)but imo this will only works if the grower do some wet/dry cycles after transplant to build a solid root mass ... around 30 % dryback maybe even 40 not sure

i noticed plants must be treated generative to produce roots

the coco i used was giving pretty much the same values .. (in smartpots 1 gal ). this coco didnt have chips or big chunks, it was water retensive coco, but still great

i would just use slightly bigger dryback than rw cubes, and also because coco dont seem to really have moisture gradiant like rockwool cubes ..

+1 solid advice

Latest posts

Top Bottom