Transplant Container Size?

• Thread starter below frigid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
below frigid

below frigid

I know I should put my seedlings into 4-5 inch containers first. Just would like some thoughts on skipping the small pots and putting the seedlings straight into 2 gallon containers then into the 200 gallon Smart Pots. Just trying to save myself a days work. Do you think final yield would suffer much? Thanks.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

I usually do the solo, #1,#3,#7 then final pot! I don't think it'll hurt at all with that technique! Only one way to find out make it a experiment! Im subbed

below frigid

below frigid

I just have a lot of seedlings. I usually have a lot of feminized seeds but this year it's all regs, twice as many transplants. Mostly beans I made from past seasons. I have 160 plus seedlings and going to weed it down to 80 ish after sexing and axing the weak ones.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You could just start them in net pots or biodegradable pots and then just put them in their new container in the old pot and add dirt, it makes it a bit easier.

below frigid

below frigid

You could just start them in net pots or biodegradable pots and then just put them in their new container in the old pot and add dirt, it makes it a bit easier.

Thanks. Most of the seedlings have been above ground close to a week they are in the pots you can plant. Just looking to skip one of the transplantings.

MendoGiantZ

MendoGiantZ

I skipped the one gallon period this year :). We got nice big healthy clones and put them right into 3 gallon pots. They might not like it as much as being slowly potted up but if you use a really aerated soil and don't over water they will be absolutely fine and you will definetly Save some time. Good luck

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
I have always been of the school of thought, get them plugged asap in the largest pot possible. I play around with 1-5-7's but mainly for sexing. Once I know a female, she gets plugged. I put clones in 4" pots, then strait into beds.

Like mentioned above, watch for over watering when plugging a small plant into large pots. My first watering usually lasts 10-14 days.

below frigid

below frigid

I put all he seedlings into 2 gallon. As soon as they show sex I will put them in 200 gallons. My soil is a blend of mostly native soil with 7o7, forest floor litter, perilite, oyster shell, gypsum, dolimite, Azomite, rock dust, blood meal, feather meal, alfalfa meal, crab meal, kelp meal, seabird guano and chicken manure & compost.

Top Bottom