Transplant help needed ASAP

• Thread starter flybynyt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

flybynyt

Long story short.

I have to move on the first of August and my plants are vegging in a hydroponic setup, and are about 45 day's from seed. About 20 inches high and bushy. I need to move these plants to our new house and there is no way I can think to move them in there current setup. it's a fairly large hydro setup.
My question is: Can I transplant these into soil pots without destroying them? They have a large root system and I was not sure if this would work. I would hate to lose them after all the work thats gone into them. Besides I have never smoked Big Buddha Cheese and I cant wait...LOL

Thanks for your help.

flybynyt

mace

mace

Yea, you can transplant them into soil. I would say flush your plants, and then go ahead and drop them in.

I know people do this, although i don't know how big your root system is. You will probably see some stunting in growth while the roots find a new home of the course of a few days. Be careful with the root ball so that you don't kill off half the plant or something.

Also, if the root mass is very large, i would be worried about root rot if it's just sitting in a pot on top of soil rather than mixed in with it. If the root mass is too large one could consider thinning it a bit. This will definitely shock your plant, but maybe better in the long run.

That's my 2 cents on it, but there maybe others who have actually done it before, and thus more experienced, that want to chime in.

D

drpressure600

if i were you

if i were you kid, i would cut a few inch radius on the roots & then move them in a half cut plastic bottle with water & nutrients in darkness time, if they go into shock or the summer weather effects the change you could lose them, it will take time for the plate to adjust to soil, your better keeping them in the water till you re assemble your set up, or you could ask the guru's 'logic' etc who run this site,

F

flybynyt

"transplant into mapito, its easier to pull out"

Thank you all for the reply's. What is "mapito"? So is the consensus, that transplanting into soil is a bad idea? The problem with keeping them in water is it will be several days before I can get the setup moved and reinstalled.

flybynyt

H

hanuman

Transplanting hydro plants with a large root system in soil has always led to death of the plants for me. Last year, I killed a few large WR cuttings this way, and they were only cuttings. I remember trying to arrange the roots in the smaller soil pots in a kind of circular shape, but to no avail. If your plants are quite big, you have no chance.

You could try trimming part of the roots, but for this, you have to clip a similar amount on the visible part of the plant(s) to maintain some kind of balance. But that's probably also a risky bet. Good luck anyway. :)

my 0.2 (Euro) cents :)

h

T

thcnology

Yah, I'm gonna have to go with these guys on this one. You can try to transplant, but usually the ph difference from hydro to soil will croak 'em alone. Sometimes it's right away and sometimes a couple weeks but they will never fully recover. Best just to take your clones and start over....sorry dude.

B

BITYmagicBeanz

Long story short.

I have to move on the first of August and my plants are vegging in a hydroponic setup, and are about 45 day's from seed. About 20 inches high and bushy. I need to move these plants to our new house and there is no way I can think to move them in there current setup. it's a fairly large hydro setup.
My question is: Can I transplant these into soil pots without destroying them? They have a large root system and I was not sure if this would work. I would hate to lose them after all the work thats gone into them. Besides I have never smoked Big Buddha Cheese and I cant wait...LOL

Thanks for your help.

flybynyt

transfere them eother to mapito.or clay pebbles. or pots of perlite. dont put them in soil and get soil in your system. and suffercate the roots. and if you loose them. its not a big loss. the bbc seeds aint nice atall. the bud is nothing like the original

I

Inuit

I would take lots and lots of clones, and ditch the full sized ones, and then once you move flower out a larger # of smaller plants than you first intended, and you'll still get a size-able crop in w/little loss of vigour or shock time recovery.

Be safe

I

C

cdc

hmmm thats a tuff one ..if you cant go into hydro setup at the new place i would go to soil.I have noticed that it does take the plant a good week or 2 to start looking like it is happy with going for hydro to soil.

i had to move before ...what i did was hire a truck empty all water from the setup and move it in the truck ....then just add the water once i got to the new place.

Top Bottom