transplanting mature plants

• Thread starter Anncannabis2019
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anncannabis2019

Anncannabis2019

Hi, I am brand new to this forum, Ive been wanting to join one for a while so here I am. I'm a new grower and started with seedlings in March. I didn't know I would take it this far but I became addicted to growing these plants, they have become my babies! Anyway, its nearly 4 months later, and I have 3 mature and healthy 5ft plants in five gallon buckets outside in a little green house I built myself. The roots are a little exposed and they are becoming way too large for the buckets. I live in Michigan so I still have about 3 more months until the days get short and they start to flower.
What I did was dig a large whole in the ground in a secluded, yet sunny area in my back yard, and I ordered some 10 gallon smart pots to retransplant them into and then I planned on putting the smart pots with my plants in the ground. I ordered a newer and larger greenhouse to put over them and this should give them another few feet to grow outdoors.
My question is, has anyone had to transplant mature plants like this? are there any tips or tricks to do it safely?

Greenhouse newjpg
Transplanting mature plants 2
Plants maturejpg
Transplanting mature plants 4
Madbud

Madbud

You can probably pull the whole plant out of the bucket since the root ball is tight. If you dont mind losing the buckets it is better to cut the bottom off with a razor knife and push them out the bottom into the hole. Also plant deep, 6-8 inches up the stem if you can.

Anncannabis2019

Anncannabis2019

Thank you for the awesome advice, I ended up taking a jigsaw to the bottom of the buckets and very carefully lifted the rest of the bucket up and over the plants once i moved them into the 10 gallon pots. it worked beautifully and I am so glad I asked because I think I would have most definitely would have screwed this up lol... I did not disturb many of the roots at all, I am pretty sure this was a successful transfer.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Transplanting has been a key part of my soil/soilless medium growing technique for years. Preferably I transplant in series from 1 gal, to 3 gal, to 5 gal to 7 or 10 gal, using hard pots. It's not a big deal at any stage or size of the plant if you're careful and you know what you're doing. I know for some folks it can be a little intimidating, but it's not hard once you've done it a few times, you'll get the hang of it! Good luck and welcome the the Farm! 🤠

Top Bottom