Transplanting seedlings problem and one stressed seedling

• Thread starter L2Sativa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L2Sativa

L2Sativa

I am trying to transplant my 4 week seedlings/flowers into 1 Gallon pots but I can not get the soil to harden up enough for me to be able to transplant without dirt falling everywhere when I try to remove them from the starter pot. I can start to see the roots trying to come through the little holes in the starter pots which lets me know it is time for them to move up in size. All of my tiny pots are already sitting inside of the 1 Gallon bag surrounded by dirt for easy transplant but as much as I am letting them dry out it is not giving the form I need to transplant them without having an issue. ANY suggestions or advice on how to proceed would greatly be appreciated. I would really like to transplant them and give the roots the space they need to grow in the safest way possible.

Also, I have attached a picture of the one seedlings that started out the strongest but started reacting this way 2 days after it's first feeding of nutes last week. I have not fed it since and have avoided watering it to see if it recovers but it still looks like this. None of the other seedlings responded that way. Any suggestions on this would be helpful as well.

Transplanting seedlings problem and one stressed seedling
Transplanting seedlings problem and one stressed seedling 2
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If the soil isn't mostly held together by roots (a little soil loss should be expected, if not root bound) it means you aren't watering your plants thoroughly.

Plant roots seek water. They do not explore dry soil, no matter what sort of nutrient it might contain — they grow into moist soil only.

Since over-watering is about the #1 mistake newbies (and sometimes oldies) make, people sometimes fail to water thoroughly when they do water. When you finish watering, the entire pot of soil should be damp. That can take doing if you have a peat-based soil that is dry, as dry peat repels water. After that, don't water until the pots are noticeably lighter in weight.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Just have your new container ready. Turn the transplant upside down over the new medium. Don’t worry about the old medium. Just support the roots to prevent tearing totally free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom