Tree stump remover as a good source of KNO3???

• Thread starter Liberanos5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Liberanos5

Yes, no, maybe? Dilution formula? Anyone using this!!??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Potassium nitrate..? I've never used tree stump remover, nor KNO3.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Potassium nitrate is the main ingredient of stump removal liquids, but it also has calcium stearate. So your better off getting regular fertilizers with KNO3 instead of the stump removal because it reacts with certain fungi which accelerates decomposition.

Y

Ythor

Even without the excipients, it's expensive; $6 for one pound of Bonide Stump-Out, versus about $1.41 a pound from hydro stores in quantity.

mekannic

mekannic

what about pure kno3, the pure substance that isn't mixed. i have been reading and researching and seaslug sent me a link here, about pure potassium nitrate, and you can get pure potassium nitrate which i am guessing is 13-0-46 going by the info at that website and is $4 a pound at tractor supply and yes it is called stump remover but it is not the crappy shit home depot sells, that bonide crap, is crap. i use kno3 to make black powder and booom boooom stuff, but it is an excellent source of potassium and nitrogen when used off label. that website calls theirs Multi-K classic which appears to be pure potassium nitrate just like the stuff at tractor supply. $4 a pound may be a little expensive but a hydro shop is 150 miles away and shipping is a killer ordering online.

i have no idea how to calculate how much to use in hydro. it is pure dry crystal (prills actually requiring a mortar and pestle) and i am no genius and am just now finding out about all this because Seamaiden has tentatively diagnosed a K- i am trying to correct. people also use potassium sulfate all the time to correct potassium deficiencies, which is a pure substance just like potassium nitrate. KNO3 versus KSO4, only difference is one has nitrogen and the other has sulfur and an extra oxygen.

at first i didn't notice but there also seems to be some yellowing starting to show, and the nitrogen would cure that wouldn't it?

now comes the math.

DSC01144
Last edited:
Calixylon

Calixylon

That stuff makes mean smoke bombs when your melt it together with sugar, i used to steal my Dads stump rotter and make them, just use electric stove and very low setting mix in around equal parts always eyeballed it, then throw in finely groud saw dust while it hot mix it around, pour the sludge in toilet paper rolls for big ones or little tubes for small ones, then stick a big wick in it, one of the ones that 1/8 inch, that way it will def ignite, those wicks put off alot of smoke on there on. Any way a big tube will cover alot, you could smoke out an entire city block if it not windy with alot less than youd imagine.

mekannic

mekannic

yeah, we are kinda straying off topic but it's a fun digression. i could never really get the smoke comp right, i always overcooked it and nearly pulled an Adam Savage and had it flash in the pan once. close, but it just burnt dry and stuck to the pan so bad we couldn't use it.

i prefer mixing it 70/30 with aluminium powder and wow at the bang it makes. have you ever done a sparkler bomb? and of course i hope everybody knows the formula for making black powder with KNO3

i am very glad all this came up because i remembered my KNO3 wasn't properly stored, it was still in the cardboard container with a tin bottom in a humid/moist environment. some of it had dissolved and was eating it's way through the container just like it would a stump. y'all jogged my membries and i removed it and stored it safely in glass.

i forgot that i also have potassium chloride, KCl, in bulk, i normally use to make potassium chlorate KClO3 with, almost the same as KNO3, mix it with aluminium powder and BOOM.

i was told i could use the KCl, but it would have to be used foliar. i don't want to do that.

does anybody know where to point me so i can figure out the math on using KNO3 in my nute res to alleviate a K-?

mekannic

mekannic

so far my guess is correct. based on information from a link seaslug gave me about potassium nitrate as a fertilizer, their numbers say 13-0-46 and based on this site's fertilizer analysis potassium nitrate, KNO3, brand name Hi-Yield Stump Remover, is pure KNO3 which will be 13-0-46

so how do i do the math to add a little per gallon of reservoir? i have been reading a thread on mixing your own salts but it's over my head. plus it always takes into account other salts.

i just got an email from AN tech support that said I may be underfeeding, they're showing their fourth set of true leaves, so i need to be in full veg strength and i only did seedling strength last change. it won't be long before i need to do another, or maybe i should squirt a little more nutes in there.

it's just the one showing spots and i got four babies in the same bucket right now.

anyway, i'm still asking about a thread or site to help me learn how to do the math on adding salts, especially something that will teach me how to learn how to add salts to a premix retail mixture. i use jungle juice.

most powdered stump remover is about 99% KNO3, but check the label before buying because there are a few brands that use entirely different formulas to achieve the same effect.. You might check out the following link, its an easy method to purify cheap potassium nitrate from any source:
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/knpurify.html

mekannic

mekannic

yes i am definitely a label reader. on everything i buy, food, chemicals, toothpastes, EVERYTHING.

that is why i only buy Hi-Yield brand from Atwoods is the only place i can find it. the bottle says pur KNO3 but i imagine their have to be a "government acceptable" contamination rate. just like they allow a certain percentage of "foreign" into our food supply. Like rat terds, and inset and rodent body parts etc.

if you only knew what what in your ketchup. let's just say the old adage about catching more flies with honey than vinegar is a complete lie. ketchup and mustard and vinegar containing condiments contain a "high" percentage of "flies in the ointment" so to speak.

mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, yummy. trouble is those things aren't legally required to be listed in the contents and ingredients. yay government oversight!!!!!!

Top Bottom