Trichome color / when to chop?

• Thread starter crezzymann
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crezzymann

crezzymann

Hey all, first time grower here. Picked up a $20 digital microscope to get some pictures of trichomes, as the loupe I had just wasn't working for me.

My question is, how much longer would you let these go? I'm seeing what looks like mostly cloudy, with a couple amber ones here and there. I was planning on going another 5 days then chopping them, just want to make sure I'm not cutting them too soon.

Trichs on a sugar leaf

Trich 2

Same leaf, different spot

Trich 1

This is what it looks like overall.

Might be done

Thanks for any help!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey all, first time grower here. Picked up a $20 digital microscope to get some pictures of trichomes, as the loupe I had just wasn't working for me.

My question is, how much longer would you let these go? I'm seeing what looks like mostly cloudy, with a couple amber ones here and there. I was planning on going another 5 days then chopping them, just want to make sure I'm not cutting them too soon.

Trichs on a sugar leaf

View attachment 942649

View attachment 942650

View attachment 942651

Thanks for any help!
i’d wait, but the answer your about to get will probably confuse you more than help, but we’ll see.
i’d like to know how many weeks has it been? seems to early yet.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

Trichs on a sugar leaf

View attachment 942649

View attachment 942650

View attachment 942651

Thanks for any help!
are you still feeding it nutrients?
also trichomes on sugar leaves mature faster than ones say tucked in and around the buds..
good red hash is basically made from all dark amber trichomes!.

crezzymann

crezzymann

What kind of a finish product are you looking for?

Mostly just trying to get the most out of the strain that I can. Not really looking for couchlock, or a racy kind of high, just trying to cut it right at it's peak.

i’d wait, but the answer your about to get will probably confuse you more than help, but we’ll see.
i’d like to know how many weeks has it been? seems to early yet.

I'm just entering the 7th week of flower, couple days into it now, so it probably is still early. Going by what I've read online though, based on what the trichs are looking like now, it looks like it *should* be ready in a few days. Everything I've read says wait till they're cloudy with a few ambers, then cut it. To me, that's what it's looking like right now, even though I should have another 15-20 days before it's ready according to the seed bank....

Anthem

Anthem

If you google when to harvest cannabis, you will find plenty of information. Some will say when you have cloudy trichs others will say when you have some amber trichs, still others will say all amber. I asked you previously what kind of a finish product you where looking for. This is because each one of the situations outlined above will provide you will a different type of an experience.
Quick Heady High = 5 percent or so amber trichs
Head High and some body high = 15 to 25 percent Amber trichs
couch lock body high = more amber trichs

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Mostly just trying to get the most out of the strain that I can. Not really looking for couchlock, or a racy kind of high, just trying to cut it right at it's peak.

I'm just entering the 7th week of flower, couple days into it now, so it probably is still early. Going by what I've read online though, based on what the trichs are looking like now, it looks like it *should* be ready in a few days. Everything I've read says wait till they're cloudy with a few ambers, then cut it. To me, that's what it's looking like right now, even though I should have another 15-20 days before it's ready according to the seed bank....
i get ya, wait for some other feedback from members, for me about half or a bit more amber than cloudy. though i make edibles, hash, oil, etc..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
If you google when to harvest cannabis, you will find plenty of information. Some will say when you have cloudy trichs others will say when you have some amber trichs, still others will say all amber. I asked you previously what kind of a finish product you where looking for. This is because each one of the situations outlined above will provide you will a different type of an experience.
that’s it dead on!

crezzymann

crezzymann

are you still feeding it nutrients?
also trichomes on sugar leaves mature faster than ones say tucked in and around the buds..
good red hash is basically made from all dark amber trichomes!.

Yeah, still feeding it, planning on feeding until chop, then give it a long/slow cure. Seen a few things for/against flush, but since I have a few different strains going all hooked up to one watering system, it's easier for me to just feed the early ones until chop, then flush the later ones. First time doing this, so it should be a good comparison.

That's good to know about the leaves maturing faster, I'll have to try and get a view of some of the trichs on the buds. It's just damn difficult to hold the scope steady freehand.

Based on that, I'd say I'm probably looking for 15-25% amber trichs. Looking for a mix pretty much, to try and get the specific effects of the strain to come through as best they can, without it being skewed one way or the other.

I figure I have maybe what, 5%, 10% ambers right now? So in a few days it might be ready, or it may need a few more after that is what I'm thinking. Basically I'm a week out plus or minus a couple days from chop right now, if I'm looking to hit 15-25% ambers is what I'm thinking. Sound about right?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah, still feeding it, planning on feeding until chop, then give it a long/slow cure. Seen a few things for/against flush, but since I have a few different strains going all hooked up to one watering system, it's easier for me to just feed the early ones until chop, then flush the later ones. First time doing this, so it should be a good comparison.

That's good to know about the leaves maturing faster, I'll have to try and get a view of some of the trichs on the buds. It's just damn difficult to hold the scope steady freehand.

Based on that, I'd say I'm probably looking for 15-25% amber trichs. Looking for a mix pretty much, to try and get the specific effects of the strain to come through as best they can, without it being skewed one way or the other.

I figure I have maybe what, 5%, 10% ambers right now? So in a few days it might be ready, or it may need a few more after that is what I'm thinking. Basically I'm a week out plus or minus a couple days from chop right now, if I'm looking to hit 15-25% ambers is what I'm thinking. Sound about right?
yep that’s good. also won’t hurt to-you could also watch the buds and pick buds a week apart, like an experiment, to see what you like more.
i would just let them continue at least 5-7 days more days,
also wait for other reply’s

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Like said above the trichs on the bud leaves can mature early. Need to check direct on the calyx. And like the sugar leaf looks in the pics mostly cloudy with a few amber is peak potency. Gotta look kinda into the bud for the layers of trichomes around the calyx.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

also the colours of the pistols should help as to make a decision,

Anthem

Anthem

Trichs on a sugar leaf

View attachment 942649

View attachment 942650

View attachment 942651

Thanks for any help!
Nice First Grow, just a little too much nut burn

crezzymann

crezzymann

also the colours of the pistols should help as to make a decision,

I've heard about that method as well, not really sure how to judge it though. This is a different plant that I have going, and to me, it looks like this one is almost ready to chop, but like the other one, should still have a week plus or minus a couple days to go. Sound about right? I'm just trying to figure out what "done" looks like on my plants.

Pistils At Dawn

Nice First Grow, just a little too much nut burn

Thank you for the kind words, for some reason this is the only strain that's giving me trouble with burn. Have three other plants going, this is the only one that's really showing issues. Thinking I'll back off on nutrients and see how they do, should have like 2-3 weeks left on everything else at most according to the seed bank. You can see the one with the burn in the back left here.

2 19 20

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
the upside if there is any to 'nut burn' is you have far less fan and sugar leafs to trim 🤪

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I chop when i see about 50% amber, an early chop will tend to go to your head while a later chop will give you more of a body high.

Latest posts

Top Bottom