Trichomes readiness?

• Thread starter BudsAlive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudsAlive

BudsAlive

Managed to get a few pictures without shaking too much, 🤭 Now for reading them, my guess is they aren't quite there yet, should I carry on as normal for another week or so, what ya thinking .

Trichomes readiness
Trichomes readiness 2
Trichomes readiness 3
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Yes, be patient .
You have a bunch of home grown right now if you pull.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Judging ripeness by trichomes alone is like judging the ripeness of a melon by looking only at the skin. Look at the entire plant and learn how to recognize some of the signs that the plant is ready. Color changes, flavor, and heft seem to occur mostly at the end of flowering, so early harvest might not get you the best that your plant can offer. While trichomes are useful in determining when a plant might be at it's peak, the difference is so minuscule that it is almost impossible to tell without lab analysis. Let your plants finish fully and you will have a superior product. Like sweet corn in the summer, the early strains are OK, but the good stuff comes much later.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yup, determining the right time to chop for you is an art in both reading the plant and also tempering your own impatience.

It took me almost 5 years of growing to to develop the discipline to let it go long enough and chop at the right time. And it's almost invariably a week or 2 after an inexperienced grower would think it's for sure done.

Also dont go by the trichs on those small bud leaves. Go by the trichs on the calyxs themselves. I watch for almost all cloudy with a couple amber but not too many. <10%, and little to no clear heads. The biggest ones, the capitate-stalked trichomes will start to bend over from the weight of resin in the head. Around that time the buds in general will take on a more dull and less shimmery appearance and most or all of the stigma hairs will have withered and been engulfed by swollen calyxs. That's when I chop.

Last edited:
BudsAlive

BudsAlive

Yup, determining the right time to chop for you is an art in both reading the plant and also tempering your own impatience.

It took me almost 5 years of growing to to develop the discipline to let it go long enough and chop at the right time. And it's almost invariably a week or 2 after an inexperienced grower would think it's for sure done.

Also dont go by the trichs on those small bud leaves. Go by the trichs on the calyxs themselves. I watch for almost all cloudy with a couple amber but not too many. <10%, and little to no clear heads. The biggest ones, the capitate-stalked trichomes will start to bend over from the weight of resin in the head. Around that time the buds in general will take on a more dull and less shimmery appearance and most or all of the stigma hairs will have withered and been engulfed by swollen calyxs. That's when I chop.
Thanks for the great advice, they are really looking lovely, I'm trying to time the flush as well. I'm growing in Coco and perlite, so thinking flush may be a shorter period, it's my first grow, so determined to get it right. If not all my hard work will have been wasted, instead of me 😅😂😅

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks for the great advice, they are really looking lovely, I'm trying to time the flush as well. I'm growing in Coco and perlite, so thinking flush may be a shorter period, it's my first grow, so determined to get it right. If not all my hard work will have been wasted, instead of me 😅😂😅
Flushing is another debated topic, with some mandating multiple flushes to clear out excess nutrients on the buds, but it really just washes water soluble nutrients out of the soil, not the plant. Perhaps a grow that is heavily laden with nutrients, potions, boosters, etc might benefit, but in my experience, it has little effect despite some of the wild reasons that are sometimes given. This is fodder for another day and it won't hurt to flush unless you flush too early and the big fan leaves yellow and die before the plant is done finishing.

BudsAlive

BudsAlive

Just a quick update, and some pics , think I'm nearly there, I'm growing in Coco & perlite, so going to leave it a couple of day's then flush.
What do ya reckon?

2020 1 17 13 9 32
2020 1 17 13 10 24
2020 1 17 13 10 31
Top Bottom