Tricking plants into thinking there's an insect infestation, can it be done, and how...

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

Splitting or drilling the stalk was the move back when. Not sure it's legit. Old head move.
I’ve seen that before and it does look like it works towards the end of flower

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

So H2O2 happens to do exactly this.

This study looked at the effect of H202 spray on spider mites in beans
Exogenous application of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) induces the plant signals defense in response to biotic (Alvarez et al. 1998) and abiotic stresses (VanCamp et al. 1998). Hydrogen peroxide plays a double role in plants, at low concentration acts as a messenger molecule involved in acclimatory signaling and triggering tolerance against various biotic and abiotic stresses.
It found that H202 increased leaf area, plant size, and reduced mite populations compared with the control, ostensibly because the application induced genes that provide resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses (including mite attack).

Here are links to the cited studies if anyone is interested in reading them:
Alvarez et al., 1998
VanCamp et al., 1998

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yea, I've been instituting controlled defoliates, whereas, I remove a little here, a little there, picking at it throughout the flowering cycle, especially after weeks 2-4 and onward, depending on all factors. What I'm attempting to do with that is to allow those tops buds to get thick and heavy, then open up the inside, while also keeping pressure on the plant by the constant removal of leaves. The end result appears to be a trans-relocation of some of the plants buds, or increased uniformity.

This is all essentially new techniques I've started in the last few plants, so perfecting it is still a work in progress, but it's got upsides, no doubt. I'm noticing the stuff might not be as thick on the outer parts of the plants, but the insides are getting fuller, and the overall hardness is increased, and earlier... There are simply so many levels IMO of incrementally increasing terps, and oils. Been making good use of UV A+B with the Agromax Pure UV bulbs, the more targeting of specific sugars, and "energy" substances, in addition to utilizing lactobacillus, humics/fluvics and controlling calcium very closely.
I defoliate as you do not knowing if I was on the right track or not. I read here the other day that micro shocking ( plucking here and there ) was worse for the plant than a total defoliation at the appropriate time. ?? I know not one way or the other...I've never done a full defol.

I was under the impression that a defol. was really just in tents & confined areas and not necessary or helpful with lots of light and space. I still believe they're solar panels.

I've read up to here what I can, you go way over my head. I haven't read that much info in 69 years total. I'm glad there's guy's like you that can cut through it all comprehend & retain it all. You guys messing with bugs & what attracts or deters gotta be careful😁 look what happened when they worked on bugs in China....you could create a super bug.....Sorry I smoked one 😂😂.....I've had my share of mites..no thanks I think I'd rather have my reg weed than bug shit flavored super weed 😀

Veteran

Veteran

I had a grow room in the past with spidermites. It was impossible to kill them they kept coming back so i gave up. Actually i found out they did more good than harm.
My best yield was 8 kg with a 9 week bloom strain out of 10 m2 with 12 600 watt hps gavitas. It was cooled with a water airco and co2 supplemented.
I grew perpetual so when the plants entered the bloom room they were vegged for 3 weeks 60 plants no mites. In the Bloom room there were spidermites. The plants would grow so fast the spidermites couldnt keep up killing my plants. By the time they were taking over the planet it was already end of bloom. I always finished at 8 weeks total for a 9 week strain. No loss of yield or quality. My profile pic is a product of that legendary grow room.
So my thoughts are if you grow sealed en co2 suplemented and you grow the right geneticts spidermites help you out maturing the plants by killing them. I believe it helps quality and quantity. This does not count for long flowering strains and no co2 sup. The grow has to be fast everything dialed in.

wawa53

wawa53

insect frass top dressed once a month and gurarantee you will never see another fungus gnat. I use superworm frass in my teas weekly. Not sure if all frass is the same but superworm is 17 chitin.

GYOweed

GYOweed

When I've had mites in the past, I'll have to admit, it was certainly some of the most dank, and special weed I've smoked over the years. Especially when I've had mites, and been able to successfully overcome them, by sheer nutrition, and general health. That said, I'm not eager to return to those days, but it get's me to thinking. What can be done... Obviously, the plants were aware of the onslaught, and were mounting a response. Especially during the flowering intervals.

So, I'm kind of intrigued by signaling hormones, precursors, enzymatic responses and other various means of inducing targeted signals to the plant. Wondering if anyone else out there has used any techniques in the past that are successful.

Please share anything you might have, or even your hypothesis on this subject. Putting some bugs up, since it's a "response" to bug thread...
View attachment 1154474
Chitosan, harpin, or glutamte

Top Bottom