Trimming and Drying for FLAVOR?

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dothraki

Dothraki

I learned mostly by trial an error and still learn something new everyday. Flavor and smell are not a problem as long as i'm growing something that i enjoy smoking. I pretty much do what everyone has been advising you to do as far as drying/curing is concerned. I don't think anyone is coming off an "authority". In fact, all i see is folks with years of experience graciously trying to guide a new grower. Everything you're frustrated about has been answered numerous times already. I think @growsince79 summed it up best, when he said "grow something that is worth drying". That should at least get the gears grinding.

I wish someone held my hand as much when i was first learning.
What? Holding my hand lol. Most of you guys are just doing what everyone told you to do, without learning the reasons why and how it works. That’s hand holding. My approach is this.... if you can’t give me the factual information I’m looking for, I will question your answers. That’s what leads to greatness, question everyone and everything. Just blindly following instructions doesn’t lead to anything but the same old crap. So really, as much as your egos might be hurt by it...I’m forcing you to think about and understand how the process works and to re-analyze your own assumptions and methods. Just because this is a cannabis forum doesn’t mean everyone in here is some idiot stoner. If anything, I see a lot of copy and do, not a lot of effort going into understanding which is where the REAL progress comes from. Not just doing it over and over. Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

growsince79

growsince79

What? Holding my hand lol. Most of you guys are just doing what everyone told you to do, without learning the reasons why and how it works. That’s hand holding. My approach is this.... if you can’t give me the factual information I’m looking for, I will question your answers. That’s what leads to greatness, question everyone and everything. Just blindly following instructions doesn’t lead to anything but the same old crap. So really, as much as your egos might be hurt by it...I’m forcing you to think about and understand how the process works and to re-analyze your own assumptions and methods. Just because this is a cannabis forum doesn’t mean everyone in here is some idiot stoner. If anything, I see a lot of copy and do, not a lot of effort going into understanding which is where the REAL progress comes from. Not just doing it over and over. Practice doesn’t make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.
You not listening and trying to reinvent the wheel is what got you a shitty crop. gl

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

Are you serious right now? You got to trolling. Fondling yourself under your desk as you look with pride on how smart you think you sound.
"if you can't give me"? "leads to greatness"? "I'm forcing you"?
"Just because this is a cannabis forum doesn’t mean everyone in here is some idiot stoner."

Is this really your worldview? Seriously man, is it? It can't be you got to be trolling. This is such a bad look I hope you recognize that.

Dothraki

Dothraki

You not listening and trying to reinvent the wheel is what got you a shitty crop. gl
Not sure why you keep saying I have shitty buds lol. The Pineapple is the best smelling and most potent bud I’ve had in a long long time. The little buds I’ve been dipping into each day are not harsh anymore and are burning a lot better.

My point was that the buds I didn’t dry until the stem snapped are drying and curing more evenly and better. Stem snap was too dry and halted the curing process.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Love how everyone gets butt hurt when I question their instructions. Makes me think they don’t know why their methods work, they just found it through trial and error or got lucky.

growsince79

growsince79

Not sure why you keep saying I have shitty buds lol. The Pineapple is the best smelling and most potent bud I’ve had in a long long time. The little buds I’ve been dipping into each day are not harsh anymore and are burning a lot better.

My point was that the buds I didn’t dry until the stem snapped are drying and curing more evenly and better. Stem snap was too dry and halted the curing process.
Have you ever saw a healthy mature bud? Not a picture, but a live ripe bud? Did you not see the plant I posted that grew by itself and was 10x better than your little sickly buds? She tasted great too btw.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Have you ever saw a healthy mature bud? Not a picture, but a live ripe bud? Did you not see the plant I posted that grew by itself and was 10x better than your little sickly buds? She tasted great too btw.
How can you say it’s “better” when you’ve only seen a pic lol. You haven’t smelled or felt the high from my buds. I can say they are better than anything I’ve got from a dispensary....ever, From Cali to Massachusetts. Especially the PUDC. This thread is about trimming and drying methods for flavor. Those that have tried different things and compared them to each other. I do know that dry trimmed bud always tastes and smells a bit better.

sambapati

sambapati

Just because this is a cannabis forum doesn’t mean everyone in here is some idiot stoner.....Suggest you read the book How to Make Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Your attitude and comments seem to indicate you know everything and everyone else is an idiot. I suggested reading last year's thread on the same topic, but you didn't, because only you can be right.

1. Do Not Criticize, Condemn or Complain. ...
  2. Be Generous With Praise. ...
  3. Remember Their Name. ...
  4. Be Genuinely Interested In Other People. ...
  5. Know The Value Of Charm. ...
  6. Be Quick To Acknowledge Your Own Mistakes.

steamroller

steamroller

There is something to be said for patience.
As a youth I was told practice makes perfect .
When I got less then 100% on test I would be upset and the teacher would say " no one is perfect" .
I never practiced again .

Dothraki

Dothraki

The test branches I dried for 10 days then “cured” for two weeks today, are getting a lot smoother. Definitely seemed overdry and probably were a bit overdry when jarring but nonetheless turning out real nice so far. The rest of the Lemongrass harvest has been jarred at 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 days of drying. This was after adjusting RH by running a humidifier near the tent, no fan only the exhaust fan with the tent flaps opened. It was reading between 50-60% RH and 64* F. At 10 days the buds were slightly dry only on the outside of the buds and the 14 day was more stiff and slightly crunchy, but not as dry as the test branch.

I’m also curing in 3 different scenarios. 1 is a closet that stays 59-64*F and currently 50% RH in mason jars and no sunlight, 2nd is in UV blocking jars in a room with artificial light around 65*F-73*F and RH around 38-45, and the third is in another room that is similar to the closet but gets no sunlight or artificial light.

I plan to run an experiment and bury one underground after it’s all the way dried and see if it cures nice underground. I’ve read a little about wrapping in corn husks and curing but the sanitary way to do it seems fairly involved....must be amazing if people are doing all the work for it. Supposedly it’s a euphoric feeling like nothing else when you smoke them though.

T

Taylorharth

I’ve dried and cured for buddies in the past, but I’m on my own first grow. I’m usually able to get 10-15 day dry by keeping temps down to mid 60s when my RH is around 35-40%. I have one branch from each plant hanging, with no fan leaves removed, let alone sugar leaves.

My questions is... how many of you have experimented in removing fan leaves vs leaving them on while drying? If I dry the plant whole, non-defoliated plant, with all fan leaves intact, could I be in for better flavors and terpenes?
If you have control over your drying area there fine to remove it's better to leave a long stem for later instead of getting close and damaging the Bud or smearing chlorophyll all over. Leaving the fan leaves on is good if you have less control of your drying area or stupidly low rh they add a slight amount of protection from light wind and possibly dust (I'm talking like barn conditions).. the best thing with removing before drying is you know there gone and don't have to try and jiggle them to the top of your trim pile to scrap them they really serve little purpose after the plant is cut down there is such low quantities of trichomes on most strains like grams per pound I stopped making hash from them by grade 10 even before that only in the winter cause snow works amazing for bubble hashand it's free( can get 3 grams of full melt per lb and up to 1 oz of low quality) save the hassle pull them 2 weeks before harvest getvthe extra light at the bottom buds

Spaanky

Spaanky

There are a lot of variables in what you are asking, though it is really only as complicated as one wishes to make it.
Strain types can have a lot to do with it as well. Fruity terps, no matter how you dry are not going to last as long as other terp profiles like spicey or earthy.
Personal anecdotal experience, I just finished off my last jar of Durban Tai High Flyer, from Oct, and it still smelled and tasted great after 4 months in a jar.
If you are into extended storage you should look into vacuum sealed bags rather than jars and store in fridge.
If you want to know the truth of the matter you should vary trimming. Hang the whole plant, take a branch after a week and do all the things you have talked about. Then wait a week and take another branch and do the same. Wait another 3-7 days and take the last of it. Compare them and you will know for sure what works.
By the way having a still green branch snap because the membrane wall broke and having a completely dry branch snap clean in two are very different things. Like @growsince79 said if you break off a nug and it still pulls a string off with it, your plant is not dry yet.
Still tastes great after 8 months, better

SSgrower

SSgrower

Say it ain't so about Chucky? I got some drying an curing this week and for bagseed it's sticky as can be, 9-1011 days drying in 65-70% Rh and 73 degrees, fun times,Cheers SS

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I think it matters for your specific drying needs. Me I have to cut off fan leaves because of high humidity. As for terps I think that is genetics and nutes. I've been watching my current grow and it's a strong lemon scent but not so strong it stinks up the place. I've smelled earthy, black pepper, herbal, floral, lemon, gas and a stinky cheese maybe, I couldn't identify it. I did switch out my water and smell went from overpowering to barely noticeable.

I have trichs we look for but I have way more trichs we don't look for. It's loaded with the trichs we don't look for.

So my guess is my plant would be good for extracts or concentrates. I don't think it will be that strong thc wise. We'll see.

Top Bottom