Premium Member
Supporter
DSC_0191.JPG
a (2).JPG
a.JPG
a3.JPG
b (2).JPG
b.JPG
Just a little somthing i been thinking about trying for a bit. i have trimmed clone roots plenty of times taking them out of the easycloner, to get them untangled and make them easier to transplant. this is the 1st time i have tried it on seedlings. i dropped 11 beans in a shot glass of tap water overnight, then put them in a folded paper towel and sealed them in a sandwich bag. place that ontop of my cable box for heat, checked on them 2 days later and they had all popped and grown more then i wanted. so i trimmed down the tap roots a bit so i can get them into the jiffy pucks. strain is Gold Dust(whitefire x green manalishi(pac g13 x88 g13/hashplant). popping these seeds looking for 2 or 3 males to hit back to my whitefire cut for a back cross.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

yo kid - why wouldn't you just check your seedling every 12 hours so you can catch them before they become an overgrown tangled mess?

Those look like straight bean sprouts - makes me want to start poppin hemp seeds like alfalfa or lentils. Here's a quick DIY that might work with your method - http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/how-to-grow-bean-sprouts-in-a-jar.html

same goes for clones - instead of destroying roots that the plants tried soooo hard to put out why don't you just transplant a lil' earlier?!

sorry for rippin on ya bud - I just don't see the benefit in trimming roots when you could just let it do it's thang in dirt (or pretty much anything else that holds moisture). Just think - would you top a plant before it's first true leafset? IDK maybe it'll turn out incredible...those are just first thoughts :happy:

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
no problems guys. i just been busy i planed to do a bigger pop and select down the males from there. i normally pop in a towel and then go right into rockwool. i cut the corner off the cube and use that as a cap. few days later the cotyldon will pop out. but instead of just checking germ rates i decideed i might as well put a few outside, so why not take a couple males and do a back cross as well. i do not recomend this at all, and the results are posted for anyone that pops seeds. so if this happens to them they know what they can do. as for clones, i help alot of people out show them the ropes and they dont always do what they should. so then i get a call thats like"hey all my roots are tangled what should i do?" thier temps were to hot or to cold and not all rooted at same time. so when you see a tangled mess you have to figure out a way to make it work.

so far the ones that were cut,they are drooping and a bit lifeless at the moment, but the cotyldons have turn from a yellow to a green.

i am in the process of getting the mother g13/haze cut back and have about 30 of the bx1 seeds to look through for the bx2's. the guy a left it with didnt lable anything and i lost it. his brother moved to san fransisco and thats who was entrusted with it. but i had backed it up with a few people so it should be back home soon.

squiggly

squiggly

It is normal to cut back the tap root when root trimming (keeping bonsai mothers for instance)--but I think you might've gone at it a bit too soon.

The root apical meristem(s) are usually mostly located in secondary roots--but when you've only got the one root going (no nodes/branches) you might have just cut off the only part of the root structure which is able to rapidly divide in search of new nutrients.

420Gator

420Gator

It is normal to cut back the tap root when root trimming (keeping bonsai mothers for instance)--but I think you might've gone at it a bit too soon.

The root apical meristem(s) are usually mostly located in secondary roots--but when you've only got the one root going (no nodes/branches) you might have just cut off the only part of the root structure which is able to rapidly divide in search of new nutrients.
precisely

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Kid, can you be kind enough to state within this thread that you do NOT recommend doing such practice? For the lurking newbies out there that are too quick to read through the thread?

When I'm working with seeds in starter cubes, I curse the heavens when I bother the taproot in any way. I really don't understand farmers who use the napkin method with their seeds in the first place.

Touching the taproot is stressing the plant. And it's a baby...
maybe if you bothered to read through the thread yourself you would see that i already stated that. but i will do it again,because everyone is making such a big deal about it. i am not telling anyone to do this, it was just soemthing i did when i was checking germ rates and then other ideas popped into my head. like hey i should find soem males and back cross to my wifi clone and hey i might as well toss a couple outside this year. so i can give feed back from an outdoor point of veiw as well.

my males in this cross we drought tested very thuroughly for this very purpose. they were not giving water for 4-5 days at a time even after bone dry. and then giving 2 shot glasses full popped back up, then deprived again. i try and test everything i do best i can to make sure it is healthy. My g13/haze bx1's we so tested for PM resistance to make sure 75% would not even show signs of pm in heavily infected rooms. i grew out the bx1's and only 4 of them out of 20 even showed signs of any pm at all. and a few spyays with green cure and it was gone.

i was only popping to check germ rates thats why they were left for 2 days unattended. i went to walmart bought jiffy pucks becuase i decided im gonna put them outside instead of killing them. the stems were to long so i cut them to see what would happen. this is not a tutorial on cutting seedlings roots. its a what happens if i cut the roots on seedlings i was gonna throw away.

lex0415

lex0415

"Don't drop that shit!!!" LOL "Special CIA napkin" ROFLMAO!!

That shit was too funny.

7thson

I've had a couple of sprouts lose their tails from transfer and all I can say is they died every time.I actually think I did this exact thing on my last run(two)I just threw it in the dirt bin.I hate to tell you they won't make it.I guess your finding that out now.Sorry.

squiggly

squiggly

If you destroy the root apical meristem it cannot be regenerated--the plant will undoubtedly die.

Sometimes this can be further up on a root. The root cap can be quite large depending on species.

The root cap does not divide, nor do any other root cells. The root cap simply protects the apical meristem.

Much like the shoot apical meristem after some measure of growth a node will be formed where a second meristem will be generated.

Once a second meristem has been formed (preferably more than one), the tap root or primary root may be trimmed and its apical meristem destroyed without consequence. This can, in fact, at times be beneficial to a plant.

Here is a diagram:

Top Bottom