Triploid

• Thread starter highersolutions
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
Whats up farmers just trying to gain a little knowledge from all the talented breeders on hear and ask about Triploids. I know a triploid is something having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus but what causes it in cannabis? I read that Polyploidy may occur due to abnormal cell division, either during mitosis, or commonly during metaphase I in meiosis. So are there certain strains that carry this more or is it just a random mutation? Are there any benefits/negatives to triploids? Any and all comments are very welcome as I'm trying to learn as much about this as I can. Thanks

Edit: I also was wondering if it is something that can be passed on to future generations? Example...Let say you start 50 beans from the same breeding and find multiple triploids. You take your best male, your best female(not the triploids) and breed them. Would the resulting progeny have a greater chance of triploids then say a selection from 50 seeds of a different breeding where no triploids were found???

cannabeans

cannabeans

I have never heard of tripolid. inetersting.

heres what is said in an "old" cannabis grow book that i have.

Mutations and polyploidism occur when seeds or plants are exposed to radiation, colchicine, mustard gas or choral hydrate. Polyploidism is the doubling or tripling of the genetic material in a cell by breaking the chromosomes and will increase the vigor and or potency of cannabis.

I have read that dj short believes that the "Thai" plants that he used in his projects were treated with colchicine. I believe this is what causes 80% of his seed stock to be variegated.

T

tattoojim

highersolutions.. hey buddy i know its wrong to talk of another site, but on rollitup there is a good thread on triploids. im not smart enough for all the genetic parts of this, but in the thread they spoke of some south american strains having strong triploid genes. the cola they were showing of was a monster..

C

critical

1 of my big buddha cheese have this trait and she does seem to smell more, the 2nd to bottom 2 branchs have also overtaken the head of the plants height and look like they should be nice iv had this once before with another strain i cant remember, but that had some nice big chuncky colas bigger than the rest of that strains grow if i remember right so maybe icolateing and breeding to get these traits might be a good idea..take care farmers..

winta

winta

good thread higher! ive wondered the same thing....i recently had a sour diesal ibl male that had triploids...i threw him out then i heard somewhere that it was a good thing for a male to have triploid so i would like to see the info your thread brings :)

Whats up farmers just trying to gain a little knowledge from all the talented breeders on hear and ask about Triploids. I know a triploid is something having three times the haploid number of chromosomes in the cell nucleus but what causes it in cannabis? I read that Polyploidy may occur due to abnormal cell division, either during mitosis, or commonly during metaphase I in meiosis. So are there certain strains that carry this more or is it just a random mutation? Are there any benefits/negatives to triploids? Any and all comments are very welcome as I'm trying to learn as much about this as I can. Thanks

Edit: I also was wondering if it is something that can be passed on to future generations? Example...Let say you start 50 beans from the same breeding and find multiple triploids. You take your best male, your best female(not the triploids) and breed them. Would the resulting progeny have a greater chance of triploids then say a selection from 50 seeds of a different breeding where no triploids were found???

C

critical

yea i forgot to say good topic highersolutions all the best mate

homebrew420

homebrew420

What does triploidism look like? If your refering to sprouts having 3 cotyledon, or a whorled phyllotaxy, is not necessarily if ever considered triploidy. I believe that has to be determine by chromosomal counts. beyond my ability. I want to use colchicine to create mutations that may contain the polyploid traits...or cause immediate death.
However from most research i have done there is little to no success I can find.
Soooooo... there are other ways and I am really high right now from this Merlin
There is a grip of info but still alot to digest too. I will look and see what I can find.

Good luck

Peace

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
What does triploidism look like? If your refering to sprouts having 3 cotyledon, or a whorled phyllotaxy, is not necessarily if ever considered triploidy. I believe that has to be determine by chromosomal counts. beyond my ability. I want to use colchicine to create mutations that may contain the polyploid traits...or cause immediate death.
However from most research i have done there is little to no success I can find.
Soooooo... there are other ways and I am really high right now from this Merlin
There is a grip of info but still alot to digest too. I will look and see what I can find.

Good luck

Peace

What is it considered then and what causes it? I have had strains do the 3 cotyledon before and was told that it was considered a triploid? I have tried to do some research on it but dont find much. Anyone else have any info or links with info??? PS thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

What is it considered then and what causes it? I have had strains do the 3 cotyledon before and was told that it was considered a triploid? I have tried to do some research on it but dont find much. Anyone else have any info or links with info??? PS thanks to everyone who has posted so far.

a lot of the misinformation regarding polyploidism goes back to books written in the 70's (rosenthal,etc.)
3 branches per node is not a triploid as homebrew 420 has said and there is no sense repeating his post as he was correct

fwiw

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
i had a ak47 that was poly in veg for months but after a long few months it went back normal, i hit it with some hybrid pollen, none of the offspring showed the traits. wierd
Thanks for posting up
a lot of the misinformation regarding polyploidism goes back to books written in the 70's (rosenthal,etc.)
3 branches per node is not a triploid as homebrew 420 has said and there is no sense repeating his post as he was correct

fwiw

Like I said before "What is it considered then and what causes it?" Thats what i'm curious about. Just trying to ask a simple question. If you dont have any info to add or a little positive insight then there is no need to post here. Thanks

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
^ thanks bro. Now I'm starting to find some info on this...still trying to find out what causes it though...more reading for me.

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
^ after doing some reading I have heard people refer to it as a trifoliate as well. Thanks bro

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey highersolutions,
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it's trifoliate as it is growing 3 meristematic regions out of where 2 typically come from. I personally don't like this trait and scrap em as it seems to change their structure, and can compound into one big cola due to extra budlets from the 3rd growth...but kinda screws the structure like when you reveg a flower plant and it never really revegs but continues to flower.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

trifoliate is a leaf with 3 blades, ie. typical clover
whorled phyllotaxy is 3 or more meristems from a single node
it is genetic and favors the males but is a inherited trait in females also
i had a chocolate diesel mom that was whorled and about 60% of her offspring are also

regarding your response to my first post?

fwiw

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Good looking out Wobbly Goblin, getting rusty on my botany...lol

highersolutions

highersolutions

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey highersolutions,
Yeah, i'm pretty sure it's trifoliate as it is growing 3 meristematic regions out of where 2 typically come from. I personally don't like this trait and scrap em as it seems to change their structure, and can compound into one big cola due to extra budlets from the 3rd growth...but kinda screws the structure like when you reveg a flower plant and it never really revegs but continues to flower.

trifoliate is a leaf with 3 blades, ie. typical clover
whorled phyllotaxy is 3 or more meristems from a single node
it is genetic and favors the males but is a inherited trait in females also
i had a chocolate diesel mom that was whorled and about 60% of her offspring are also

regarding your response to my first post?

fwiw
Thanks for the insight guys...these are the kinds of posts I was looking for! Starting to get my learn on Lol.
Good looking out Wobbly Goblin, getting rusty on my botany...lol
I know what you mean bro...I haven't done research for a minute Lol.

And yeah, you should start that Trich page...:)

Dvs

Dvs

triploidism not sure if thats a word but im sticking with it is quite a common a mutiation in nature and generally results in bigger fruits, and infertilaty fruits like bananas and bramley apples are triploid the biger fruit and infertilaty is to due to having 51 sets of chromosomes insted of the usual 34(diploid) bramleys can be pollinated but have infertile pollen and the banana we no is sterile not 100% sure but i think it survives as a cuting grafted to root stock but dont quote me on the last bit tho

Top Bottom