Tropical Winter Grow Start to Finish

• Thread starter DonJuanMatus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

hi everyone, i live in the tropics and i used to grow during the summer but the unpredictability of it made me start growing during our dry season which is the winter...i have lost numerous crops to every thing from hurricanes to floods, mold, bugs, ect....during the winter it is much calmer temps stay around 70-75 rarely going below 60, only bad thing is there's no veg time and i have to provide all the water....i have a 5 foot deep well i dug on-site which i collect rain water during the summer to be used in the winter....it has very hard compressed clay all around it and it can hold water for months without drying out...i veg clones inside till there around a foot tall and then throw them out.....i use 100% organic nutrients and the plants receive 1 or 2 external feedings of teas other than pure rain water...i have lots of pics so ill split them up between posts,never posted pics on a site lets hope this works

here is what the clones look like right before they go out .....this season i ran....original haze x skunk 1...columbian red x nevilles haze and ace seeds tikal which is a guatemalan hybrid

Tropical winter grow start to finish

Tropical winter grow start to finish 2

Tropical winter grow start to finish 3

this is what they all looked like 1 week after i transplanted them there are 20 total.. 5 per 10 gallon bucket

Tropical winter grow start to finish 4

Tropical winter grow start to finish 5

Tropical winter grow start to finish 6

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

another week later there all stretching like crazy

12 days later.....

and here is a little of what i get to see when im at the garden

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

16 days after last pics...

another week later things are looking nice

close up shots of oh x sk 1

group shot

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

4 days later had to make an early trip back because heavy storm brought alot of rain and wind..... had to tie up branches the best i could with fishing line..

columbian red x nevilles haze

oh x skunk 1

group shot

2 weeks later

columbian red x nevilles haze

oh x skunk 1

i harvested them 18 days after these pics...my camera broke and i was unable to get dry shots but they all came out great except the tikal that hermied on me

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

while these were finishing up i threw 6 more clones outside these are a local strain that smells like bubblegum and is a real lungbuster

this is them right before going out

right after transplant

4 weeks later

2 weeks later

2 weeks later

2 weeks later

dried budshots

thanks for watching everyone

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

Those are some beautiful plants!! I've never had the pleasure of an outdoor grow but nothing indoor can compare to the beauty of mother nature herself. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more of your work!!

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Man those shots are gorgeous what an amazing place where you live, and the plants.. well they speak for themselves.. you've got some great skills buddy.. Have you ever thought of vegging them for slightly longer to get bigger trees in turn bigger buds??

Thanks for sharing

G81

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

thanks for the kind words everyone :sun...it is a wonderful place, i get as much joy from being out there as i do from the grow...there's nothing as great as being so far out in the bush that you feel like your at the end of the world,you start to really get in tune with your surroundings and feel at one with nature....been using the same area for 5 years so i feel really comfortable there, but i still never put my guard down :punch.....

green81.....hey man,if im doing a winter grow i cant really get them any taller than that due to the fact that they dont fit in my cab and i have to take them out there in boxes and the bigger they are the bigger the hassle, its not fun walking a mile with a huge box full of trees :sad0047: not to mention the nailbiting car ride...next season i plan to sprout seeds on site and like this i think i will be able to get more out there, ill be using wally's c99 which he has had great success with using the same method....during the summer i can get them 9 feet tall and 4-5 feet wide with the right strain but it sucks wasting time caring for half of them that turn out male so i plan on making some female seeds with some haze hybrids and having another go at it next year,during the summer you need a heavy dom. sativa to have any success and beat the rain..take care

Green81

Green81

Premium Member
Supporter
Cool Semino, yea make some fem seeds of some haze varieties,, they would be cool to see pics when they start to bud.

Peace

J

Jalisco Kid

If you line your well with a pond liner you well have a lot more water to use. That must have been a bitch to dig in clay. I used those collapsible bladder bags, I just had to fit them into a hill. Suerte JK

M

Matttzzzzz

great grow seminole i also live in the tropics (caribbean) and i really admire your grow. As you already know it is difficult to get indica strains or indica dominant hybrids to mature at a large enough size to have a decent yield given 12/12 daylight hrs....i was wondering if you have any advice in terms of what indica strains do well in areas like we live in....ie mold resistant and high yielding.....Thanks!

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

hey jk, i was going to line it at one point but its not necessary in my situation because this is technically a swamp and the water table is so high that when you get to a certain depth the hole begins to fill slowly even without rainfall, right now it still has 2.5 feet of water in it and it hasnt really rained at all since october and during the summer this whole area is pratically under water so its more than enough for my needs..it is not really red hard clay like you would find in arizona or something its more of a thick grey clay that people use in ceramics, i made the well in 2 days with a saw to cut through roots and clay and a mini ax, it wasnt so bad

hey matttzzz, great to see another tropical grower around welcome to the farm, theres not that many of us around....honestly if your looking for mold resistance and high yield in the tropics your not gonna get it from an indica...ive tried them in the summer and the winter in the summer they mold and flower to soon in the wet season and during the winter they stay tiny and give you very little yield...if you see the pics of the second round i threw out with 6 of them that was an indica and it barely reached 1.5 feet after vegging to 10 inches before going out, while the sativas in the beginning reached around 4 feet when they were put out at the same hieght...if you have a dry season and you really like indicas you can always put out more but if you want yield your gonna need a sativa dominant hybrid, i would recommend something along the lines of wallyducks c99 it finishes in the same time an indica does and is very sativa dominant so they get much larger..wally duck grows these out in the tropics and sprouts them on site with no veg time under 12/12 and he said once if all went well and there werent any set backs he could get a couple oz of each one..thats just an example but i like to look for a early finishing sativa hybrid, you get the size of a sativa but dont have to wait 4 months for it to finish...there are a couple out there....im gonna try the the c99 and casey jones this season to see how they react to this..if you need any help feel free to ask theres not alot of info regarding tropics...take care

M

Matttzzzzz

I know man there really isn't lol.....i really appreciate the advice. I was doing a bit of research on my own and i came up with c99 on my list of potential strains to grow this season as well, the thing is where do you get c99 beans? i haven't seen any anywhere.
Thanks again seminole, i can see myself learning alot from you....DAMN I LOVE THIS SITE!

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

hey mattzzz, no problem man, unfortunately pure c99 isnt available right now, it was a little while ago but they sold out quick and im not sure if well be seeing any more from wally..there are still c99 hybrids available though like c99xhaze that might work for you ..there are more early flowering sativa hybrids out there here are a couple i can think of some will run much longer depending on the pheno..if you need any help feel free to pm me..

ace seeds-bangi haze (9-10) weeks
mandala seeds-kalichakra 65 days(i recommend these, for the price there well worth a run)
mr nice seeds-super silver haze (9-11) weeks
serious seeds-kali mist (9-10) weeks
head seeds-casey jones 56-63 days
tga seeds-jack the ripper (9-10) weeks
sonic seeds-pursang haze#2 (9-11) weeks

M

Matttzzzzz

seminole, sounds good...i've never ordered online before, i mostly just use the native pure sativas we have here but i had the opportunity to try the white rhino indica strain when i went abroad and i found it really nice...perfect for my insomnia.....nothing like that at home lol... but those hybrids sound like their right up my alley so i guess i'll try ordering online sometime soon, cant help feel a bit paranoid giving my info to some company tho...
Thanks again seminole!

Billygoat

Billygoat

Wow seminole,

Remind me when I was growing down your neck of the woods. Back in my younger years. Sure do miss those very sunny days. Your right about all that can go wrong. I hated the hurricanes myself and the ripper's. I did pull off some very nice crop's back in the day.

Man, you can grow some awesome smoke in that weather for sure. Very nice pictures and looks like your got it done. I dug a hole and dropped one of those blue plastic drums in the ground and would use a hand pump to pump the water out. Then I got a solar powered 12 volt water pump. Wasn't strong, but I would start it and go check the plants. Then come back and grab the 5 gallon bucket.

Very nice thread and well done. Sure do miss home these days. Different world where I'm at now. Thanks for sharing your grow and pictures.
take care,
BG

PS, thanks for the info on those Neville's Haze seeds

DonJuanMatus

DonJuanMatus

thanks for stopping by BG, thanks for the kind words....

yeah its about as beautiful here as it is unforgiving....with the hurricanes and what not....thankfully ive never lost a plant to rippers or anyone else (knock on wood) only insects and the elements....the winter is much more relaxing than the summer....its sucks to have to wade through waist deep water full of water moccasins and gators after a tropical storm dumps a foot of rain over night to find a years worth of work drowned....cool info about the water pump...ive always wanted to get one but water is so abundant here during the summer all i have to do is catch it...this place is basically under water till november, its a blessing and a curse.......take it easy

F

FidelC

Just awesome bro, beautifull healthy looking plants. What do you use for the bugs?

Top Bottom