Trouble in paradise.....sick plant & first grow.....any ideas?

• Thread starter MerryJane22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MerryJane22

MerryJane22

Guys....I am having a heck of a time with this first grow. I've had such terrible weather to contend with and trying to manage 16 plants (4 various stages of growth---each in a little different soil to boot). If I end up with anything to smoke I will celebrate BIG TIME.

This girl is a Spaceghost photo that a friend gave me. It was started indoors on March 27th and I received it at about 7 weeks of age. I transplanted it into a 5 gallon cloth pot that I THOUGHT had organic soil.....well, as it turns out the bag of soil was pretty damned old. The other plants that I'm growing are all autos. I was going to try that first and then see about photos.

My friend is shocked she began flowering right away, as he said it wasn't supposed to. His that he put outdoors have NOT (but he said one other guys wholes close to me is flowering, too). He said he's confused about it. I was happy, as I figured I could maybe outrun our nasty Michigan cold falls. But gosh, not sure if we'll get there if this keeps up !

She started showing lots of yellow leaves a month ago and is a very light color. My PH was high as it turns out my well water is 8.0 (but PPM is about 150). I realized it and have been using PH down (or vinegar) and watering with about 6.0-6.5 and the last time I checked runoff it was good at about 6.7.

Once I realized the soil was most likely shit....I started feeding her very small amounts of veg and bloom food. Also adding calmag (that has a little nitrogen in it). Trying to get her to look better. She has lots of flowering sites and other than the color.....she seems OK. Growing noticeably.

I pulled down a few branches to let some of the lower flowers get some light ...being the optimist that I usually am, lol.

Any advice for a clueless newbie with this one?

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts!

MJ

Trouble in paradisesick plant  first growany ideas
Trouble in paradisesick plant  first growany ideas 2
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Why aren't you feeding that first plant, its hungry! And the other one looks a little over watered but I can't quite tell by the picture I showed up the whole plant would help

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

Why aren't you feeding that first plant, its hungry! And the other one looks a little over watered but I can't quite tell by the picture I showed up the whole plant would help

Hey Beach.....this is all the same Spaceghost. I started feeding it a few weeks ago, but like half doses. Should I go full tilt? what do you think about adding nitrogen at 3 weeks flower? she is SO PALE!

I watered last night & it's still a bit heavy today. I only water when the pot feels light......do you think it could be root bound in a cloth pot?

The reason I ask....is last night when I watered.....it seems like the water sat on top of the soil for a little bit before absorbing and also when I try to insert one of those moisture gauges....it feels so firm everywhere. Would cutting the bottom off the pot and putting it on top of new soil be an option do you think?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I would feed that a balance nutrient like a 20-20-20 or something along that line. I don't use Bloom boosters and such because without nitrogen one often ends up with a pale yellow plant. I feed balanced newts straight through, I simply reduce the PPM as the plant matures. Your size plant right now I'd be feeding at 600 - 700 PPM

Haven't used cloth pots much so I can't tell you about cutting the bottom off I doubt it's root bound you might want to get it up off the hot patio bricks tho

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

[QUOTE="Beachwalker, post: 2452412, member: 103131"
Haven't used cloth pots much so I can't tell you about cutting the bottom off I doubt it's root bound you might want to get it up off the hot patio bricks tho
[/QUOTE]

Hi Beach.....I actually keep it elevated inside that black pot it's sitting on so the roots aren't exposed to direct sunlight.

Anyway, I think I may have discovered my problem today. I mixed up a batch of food and fed her---the PPM was 800. The runoff water was 951. Did some googling and am wondering if I have a salt buildup around the roots. I have calcium rich hard water here. The PPM's aren't insanely bad though (around 150).

PH was 6.5 going in and coming out.

If this IS the case.....is there a simple solution that comes to mind that you can point me to? thanks for all your input !!!

Top Bottom