Trouble Taking Clones From Outdoor Plants In Summer

• Thread starter vitaminG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
V

vitaminG

Hey guys, does anyone else have trouble taking clones from outdoor plants in the summer? I live in the PNW, took some clones two weeks ago and have them indoor, 18/6 CFL, in a sterilized soil/heavy perlite mix with a dome, using rooting hormone. They still haven't rooted. This is my second round this season because the clones I took in mid July the same way all rotted. I had this same experience last summer with literally no success (tried using my homemade aerocloner with 0% success). Now I would chalk it up to bad technique or something, but I can clone with 80 - 90 % success with basically any method in the winter, fall and spring. So I don't know if it's because I'm taking plant material from a plant outside and changing its light cycle somewhat (needs time for light adjustment?), house gets too hot (occasionally mid-to high 80s), house temp fluctuation(low 70s to occasional mid-high 80s), too much nitrogen in the mother plant, or some other factor or combination of factors. The clones stay humid but I air them out 3 times daily. The mother plant is really healthy.

Most recently: Last summer I tried to clone an outdoor Marionberry kush, Chernobyl and Blue Dream, all failed. They weren't very healthy though. In theFall I was able to reveg the Chernobyl and then clone it. In the Spring I cloned an indoor Lemon Diesel with 80 - 90% success. This summer I'm trying to clone a very healthy outdoor Grandpa Larry and having trouble.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing? Thoughts?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Hey guys, does anyone else have trouble taking clones from outdoor plants in the summer? I live in the PNW, took some clones two weeks ago and have them indoor, 18/6 CFL, in a sterilized soil/heavy perlite mix with a dome, using rooting hormone. They still haven't rooted. This is my second round this season because the clones I took in mid July the same way all rotted. I had this same experience last summer with literally no success (tried using my homemade aerocloner with 0% success). Now I would chalk it up to bad technique or something, but I can clone with 80 - 90 % success with basically any method in the winter, fall and spring. So I don't know if it's because I'm taking plant material from a plant outside and changing its light cycle somewhat (needs time for light adjustment?), house gets too hot (occasionally mid-to high 80s), house temp fluctuation(low 70s to occasional mid-high 80s), too much nitrogen in the mother plant, or some other factor or combination of factors. The clones stay humid but I air them out 3 times daily. The mother plant is really healthy.

Most recently: Last summer I tried to clone an outdoor Marionberry kush, Chernobyl and Blue Dream, all failed. They weren't very healthy though. In theFall I was able to reveg the Chernobyl and then clone it. In the Spring I cloned an indoor Lemon Diesel with 80 - 90% success. This summer I'm trying to clone a very healthy outdoor Grandpa Larry and having trouble.

are your cuts stem woody

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

No, they're young shoots, about 6-7 inches long with strong but not large green stems.
was just curious,i just took another this morning,been triple digits here for months,i use a diy cloner and i have the reverse effect as you,in cooler months i have problems till i put a stronger light over them to heat the bubbler

V

vitaminG

was just curious,i just took another this morning,been triple digits here for months,i use a diy cloner and i have the reverse effect as you,in cooler months i have problems till i put a stronger light over them to heat the bubbler
Interesting, I wonder if my root zone actually isn't warm enough...Do you have temps for how warm your water is?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Interesting, I wonder if my root zone actually isn't warm enough...Do you have temps for how warm your water is?
got it sitting in a utility room going outside,no ac or heat in there,tent in the tent is 84 during the day so got to be at least 84 in there,i use ro water to bubble,highest it has got in there has been 90 with it 105 outside

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
whats the lighting used for the clone room?

NHWhites

NHWhites

Have you tried shaving the stem and just sticking it in some dirt in a solo cup? That has worked for me

Reactions: Ina
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Hell..I knocked the top off a vegging outdoor plant..put it in water in a window facing West..2 weeks later..3 inch roots.. My DIY aero cloner had a ZERO percent success rate and it was super sterilized.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Shoot man I have no issues with my clones?? I mostly monster crop, take flowering cuts. Maybe the phos in her makes her root fast? I use oxycloner. Basically a bubbler with a pump that moves water. Straight tap water, they say the little bit of chlorine helps?
But I dip in clonex, and change water every 7 days and after the first change post plug , I do add Vitamin B1. Success is almost 90-95%. Temp wise, 68-75 and humidity is about 55ish, I’m on the coast and its temperate here.
Lights , 19w Homedepot led full spectrum , cheap and it works???
In a small 2x2x4 tent , roots in about 9-12 days, nubs at about 7

2CDC84F9 6A55 4D12 8423 C14F72A59919
E54F837A 9692 4122 BE8D 1AA6856E65F0
AD310018 8F1A 4444 BFD7 3B146F460D88
0686C1BF 15CE 4CC9 884A 78124E65BF01
1AE255F2 1D0E 4887 9FE6 BF4246E33211
1stGHgrow

1stGHgrow

There's an old "hippy" trick I learned from my father. Get yourself an Aloe plant. Break off a good 2-4 inch piece from one of the "arms". Prepare your cutting; clean up lower branches with a clean sharp cutting tool (a disposable scalpel from your local grow shop or similar). Take the prepared cutting and jam it into the open end of the piece of aloe you broke off. Get it really gelled up. Place the gelled up end of the cutting into a glass of distilled or RO water. Take the piece of aloe you jammed the cutting into and squeeze the rest of the gel with your fingers into the glass you put your cutting into.
Aloe has natural rooting hormones. And believe it or not, the shit works! Don't change out the water. Just keep an eye on it.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
There's an old "hippy" trick I learned from my father. Get yourself an Aloe plant. Break off a good 2-4 inch piece from one of the "arms". Prepare your cutting; clean up lower branches with a clean sharp cutting tool (a disposable scalpel from your local grow shop or similar). Take the prepared cutting and jam it into the open end of the piece of aloe you broke off. Get it really gelled up. Place the gelled up end of the cutting into a glass of distilled or RO water. Take the piece of aloe you jammed the cutting into and squeeze the rest of the gel with your fingers into the glass you put your cutting into.
Aloe has natural rooting hormones. And believe it or not, the shit works! Don't change out the water. Just keep an eye on it.
It works! My pops back in the day, before commercially avaible stuff did this. I’m from fiji so that aloe is everywhere!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Bula 808!! I’m here in Cali now ,those sativa giants We grew back home was something else! Mahalo for the reply bra!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

The plant in the middle was from a cut that I used Fresh Aloe Vera Gel on..not too bad..Yep..I am an old hippy..LOL

The one on the far end is the one that I knocked the top off.

12 29 17 Aloe
8 15 18 1

Ina

Ina

I leaved my cutting for a night in some dry wormcastings mixed in water.One of them I just planted in wormcastings,it also rooted but slower.Just to try:)Sometimes when the clones are taken from outdoor plants it can help if you decontaminate them in something for a little before you place them under the dome in jy fy or whatever you use.....Also you can dip them in a cup with honey and water for a little for that purpose,to clean them.....Mine rooted successfully ,this time I had no rotten clones so I guess it helps.Also other hippy trick(I use only those kind of things) I heard of is willow water,also helps with rooting if you dip clones in it.

1stGHgrow

1stGHgrow

I leaved my cutting for a night in some dry wormcastings mixed in water.One of them I just planted in wormcastings,it also rooted but slower.Just to try:)Sometimes when the clones are taken from outdoor plants it can help if you decontaminate them in something for a little before you place them under the dome in jy fy or whatever you use.....Also you can dip them in a cup with honey and water for a little for that purpose,to clean them.....Mine rooted successfully ,this time I had no rotten clones so I guess it helps.Also other hippy trick(I use only those kind of things) I heard of is willow water,also helps with rooting if you dip clones in it.
I heard about that willow water thing too. I just don't know if a lot of places carry this stuff. Aloe can be picked up just about anywhere, even at the grocery store.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I heard about that willow water thing too. I just don't know if a lot of places carry this stuff. Aloe can be picked up just about anywhere, even at the grocery store.
Why not just grow one..Here is one (last yr shot) that I bought for $4..she now has 2 pups and is double the size,after giving her all to me for my garden..LOL..Aloe is super to have in the house..When you burn yourself dabbing..she is willing and able..;)
12 29 17 Aloe

Latest posts

Top Bottom