Troubles w/ Canna Coco!!!

• Thread starter SowEden
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SowEden

SowEden

Hi everyone,

For years I’ve grown in soil and recently switched to coco and salts and I’ve had difficult time! Plants don’t seem to be 100% happy.

here is some basic info:

- Strain is Dolato
- sealed room w/ RH 55-65% - ambient temps at 75-77 - humidity controlled by Quest dehu / humidifier
- Phantom DE HPS lights dimmed to 60% (600 watts) at 4+ feet above canopy
- Currently 2+ weeks into veg
- canna coco medium (no perlite)
- 3 gallon containers
- RO water taken to 0.1 EC with tap and then add Power Si (silicic acid) and cal mag up to 0.3/0.4 EC (3-4 mL / g)
- Canna Coco nutrients (A + B at 7 to 8.5 mL/g) + Rhizotonic / no Cannazyme
- I’ve alternated between Calimagic and Botanicare CalMag+ to see potential different results...
- total EC if nutrient solution is 1.2-1.3 and- as high as 1.7 when tried to see if they were “hungrier” because of some faint interveinal chlorosis near top of plant (mid to upper canopy, not on lower leaves).
- pH has been between 5.5 and 6.2, drifted back and forth
- Drain to waste top feeding / but as of last 24 hours switched to drip irrigation system
- check runoff EC and it’s between 0.8 and 1.2... runoff pH has been like 6.2+ which seems high to me.

so that’s the general background ...

Plant symptoms include marginal rolling on larger fan leaves near middle to top of canopy, but no real necrosis of leaf margins, but definitely some distorted, wavy leaves and pronounced inter veinal chlorosis and evening hooked tips of new growth - which made me think calcium - and yellow and rolled tips - made me think of iron, especially due to the chlorosis and the upper foliage being affected. The most pronounced leaf margin rolling was when I was feeding 1.7 EC at 6.2/6.3 and leaves felt a bit leathery - so I backed down to 1.1-1.2 EC and flushed a bit but then stepped them back up to 1.3 and brought pH down to 5.5-5.6 in last 24 hours to see if the issue is iron or other micro nutrient. I had started letting the coco dry out a bit more in case it was a calcium / transpiration issue. There has been a little bit of copper spotting near leaf tips on some of the larger fan leaves mid canopy, so was also thinking calcium.

here are some pics from last week and last night. In general they are looking better, but they are clearly not at 100% health. Coco is a pain in the butt. PS - white residue is cal-carb calcium spray.

Would appreciate any coco experts to chime in!

- Sow

Troubles w canna coco
Troubles w canna coco 2
Troubles w canna coco 3
Troubles w canna coco 4
Troubles w canna coco 5
stonestacker

stonestacker

Try a 1 gallon pot and 2- 3 feeds with just coco.
My .02 your pots are to big and you aren't getting a good wet dry cycle
. Something with coco is you can rootbound a plant feed multiple times a day and have hydro like growth.

Seraphine

Seraphine

I would ditch the supplemental nutrients for now and only feed the base (canna a+b). Also, make sure you are only feeding hydroponic nutrients, no organic. I know the canna a+b is fine but some of those others you listed, I’ve never heard of.

SowEden

SowEden

Try a 1 gallon pot and 2- 3 feeds with just coco.
My .02 your pots are to big and you aren't getting a good wet dry cycle
. Something with coco is you can rootbound a plant feed multiple times a day and have hydro like growth.

thanks for coming by and for your advice. For all future coco grows I would absolutely go with a smaller container size. However, it’s too late now and the plants are nearly ready to be flipped into flower and I can’t transplant them into smaller containers at this point.

I have been feeding multiple times per day, 4 to be exact. Also making sure I hand water once per day to get ample runoff.

They just got their third watering since the reservoir change — the canna A + B with no cal mag, just mono silicic acid (silica) at 1.3 EC / 5.5 pH. I think they’re looking better. Also turned the lights up to 750 to get them charging harder.

Thanks again!
- Sow

SowEden

SowEden

I would ditch the supplemental nutrients for now and only feed the base (canna a+b). Also, make sure you are only feeding hydroponic nutrients, no organic. I know the canna a+b is fine but some of those others you listed, I’ve never heard of.

i think it’s the cal mag that’s been giving me issues... that’s why I dropped it as of last night. The power si is meant for hydroponic / soilless / soil and it’s just a highly bio available form of silica (mono silicic acid). I use it at half strength.

They just got their third watering since the reservoir change — the canna A + B with no cal mag, just mono silicic acid (silica) at 1.3 EC / 5.5 pH. I think they’re looking better already. Also turned the lights up to 750 to get them charging harder.

Thanks for dropping by,

Sow

SowEden

SowEden

Hi guys, so I ended up dropping canna coco nutrients and went back to Cutting Edge Solutions’ modified formula for coco with the addition of mag sulfate (Epsom salt) and Plant Amp (calcium chloride). Plants look 1000x better. Something with the canna coco.

Still having a little bit of leaf tip rolling / yellowing on the newest growth so I’ve backed down on the feed strength to 1.0 EC - watering every 2 hours on drip during lights on. Thinking it’s still not enough calcium under these Phantom DE HPS lights.

Thoughts?

AF1341B6 D65A 4A86 BF6E 522B7D34FE10
FBD23D93 8210 4E06 B468 A1E689430ADC

Latest posts

Top Bottom