Trying to diagnose droop

• Thread starter BudLightyear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BudLightyear

BudLightyear

2 plants have a droop to them that seems like overwatering..

They are in 8" net pots with 3.5 gallon buckets and plenty of water and nutrients. The other plants seem unaffected. Temp is 79-81 Humidity is 50%...

I diluted the nutrients and removed some water, but I can't figure out why they are drooping.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I tried searching but didn't have the best luck.

Trying to diagnose droop Trying to diagnose droop 2

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Have you tried misting those two plants? Taken a look at the roots? These are the bagseeds, IIRC, yes?

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

Yes, these are the bag seed. I haven't misted them but I will try that.

The roots look normal an the only thing I can think of is the airstone is causing root stress? The bubbles can do that if they're too close right?

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

After reading all day, the only thing I can think of is TMV or Tomato Mosaic Virus.

One plant seems to be holding on for dear life and the tallest most vigorous one seems to be down for the count. Image

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It may or may not be a mosaic virus. If the plants look like they're gonna give up the ghost, I say go ahead and make a sacrifice to the gods, tear into it (necropsy) and see if you can figure out what's going on to cause such droop.

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

Well one plant has bounced back and the other one is still living. The droop continues but the stalk has stiffened up a little bit and is no longer leaning against the tent.

Misting seems to be keeping her alive, nutrients are at 2.2 EC or 1100ppm and PH is dialed in at 5.8

I can't think 81 and a RH of 50% is causing this, especially just for one plant.

Only time will tell what helps her bounce back if she ever does.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't recall, are they all feeding from the same reservoir? I don't believe mosaic virus typically causes the droop you're reporting, but I think root rot can.

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

I can't recall, are they all feeding from the same reservoir? I don't believe mosaic virus typically causes the droop you're reporting, but I think root rot can.

They are all fed independently. No main reservoir. I'll start checking the roots to see if Root Rot could be the suspect. Great suggestion as always, thank you.

Kcar

Kcar

There is only a few things that will make a plant wilt suddenly, and TMV is not one. Root rot, Root aphids, overwatering, over nuteing.
Misting helps get water into the plant, but won't cure the problem. Take a serious look (and smell) at your roots and lower stem.
Got H2o2? She is my friend. Good Luck!

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

Was going to try h202 but didn't make it in time. Time to focus on the rest of the garden. Thank you for all the help!!

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

2 plants have a droop to them that seems like overwatering..

They are in 8" net pots with 3.5 gallon buckets and plenty of water and nutrients. The other plants seem unaffected. Temp is 79-81 Humidity is 50%...

I diluted the nutrients and removed some water, but I can't figure out why they are drooping.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I tried searching but didn't have the best luck.

View attachment 335673 View attachment 335675

Not sure exactly, but do you have enough airstone coverage? That plant seems like it was thriving, even more than the others. I could imagine maybe that plant being root bound in that bucket just eating up any and all oxygen bubbles. What I can't imagine is too many oxygen bubbles. What size pump u using for ur stones and how many stones for the pump that was on? Fwiw, I'm pretty jealous of those 11-blade leaves...stuck on nine for the past two months lol.

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

Not sure exactly, but do you have enough airstone coverage? That plant seems like it was thriving, even more than the others.

I was really shocked to see the biggest one showing signs of stress. It could have been a lot of things.

I had just recently increased to full strength nutrients as per bottle guidelines. ( Probably a mistake )
I put WAY to much water in the bucket, it was up to the stem on the plant. ( Was wet when I pulled out to clone )

The airstones seem to be enough for the rest of the plants which didn't really lead me to believe it was lack of oxygen, it very well could have been though. I'm running multiple pumps into that bucket so 4 airstones are in the bottom.

Those 11 leaves were beautiful, I made a bouquet for the lady. :)

Top Bottom