Trying to find a good medium I can feed/water every 2 days...(5 gal pot)

• Thread starter luxeluxe99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i will bro,it easy as shit and l will get you a list together after while,mama is barking to go to town ,i mind this bitch will shoot my ass,you know what a air soft gun is right,mine are hide,crazy ass shot me 2 times with it,them damn things stink like hell hahahah
Lmao. You do know the forum's supports videos now right? Man that would be funny to watch.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Maybe real soil properly tended in the ground doesnt go bad but peat mixes sure do. They get compacted dense and stop holding water. And all the perlite would look funny to me outside.
i agree i tried that mels mix in my containers,shit that lasted about 2 months

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i will bro,it easy as shit and l will get you a list together after while,mama is barking to go to town ,i mind this bitch will shoot my ass,you know what a air soft gun is right,mine are hide,crazy ass shot me 2 times with it,them damn things stink like hell hahahah
This will be indoor grow though... Concerned about bugs... Has me a bit concerned over cooking it outside

az2000

az2000

I mean I'm using @Jimster mix but organic promix with myco, composted cow manure and some birch wood ash. This would be similar no?

If you found something that works, don't change it. The only reason I'm going to play with Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix is to see if the medium could be cheaper and more easily available to people (big-box stores). Otherwise, I'd just keep using what I use. It's predictable.

I was just looking at the cactus mix in the garage. It looks to me like it would work straight out of the bag. But, I'll probably add 20% perlite. I'm thinking about adding some Kellogg Patio Plus potting mix. That's more woody and peat-based. I think that might make a good texture. (But, I want to keep it simple so someone who might want to try growing doesn't have buy much to get started.).

The way I grow, I don't have a rich soil with nutrients in it. So, I think this cactus mix would be good as just a (light) soil medium. It's sandy. Has a lot of perlite (compared to the Kellogg Patio Plus which I use with HP Pro-Mix). I bought a bag last week. I remember a few years ago one was torn open at the tore and I immeiately thought "that's perfect!" I still have that feeling seeing it again today for the first time. It's more sandy/pumice than woody/foresty.

I've googled can't find anyone else has tried to use it. That makes me think it must be a bad idea. It's hard to believe someone hasn't already had this idea.

Last edited:
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

hey this girl is crazy
Lmao. You do know the forum's supports videos now right? Man that would be funny to watch.
hey this girl is crazy and throwed off ,i cant help it she laughing all the time,she shot me both time 2 ft from me,damn talk about a whelp oh we,but thats forplay at my age i showed her daddy was home that night hahahah

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

This will be indoor grow though... Concerned about bugs... Has me a bit concerned over cooking it outside
ive seen folks do it inside too,key is keep it moist and if you feel the can and it hot like a compost pile your getting r done,once you mix every thing together put in a can add some myco and thricoderm and that shit be living up in there,once in your container just give about a gallon of water on top ,thats all i use in my 33 gal can,once it starts to cook you dont have to anymore condensation from the lid does it,go and stir it up about once a month and done till your ready to use it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

hey this girl is crazy

hey this girl is crazy and throwed off ,i cant help it she laughing all the time,she shot me both time 2 ft from me,damn talk about a whelp oh we,but thats forplay at my age i showed her daddy was home that night hahahah
Sounds like you guys still have a lot of fun... That's the key I found. Keep em laughing either with you or at you. Makes em smile and goes both ways.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

If you found something that works, don't change it. The only reason I'm going to play with Kellogg Palm & Cactus potting mix is to see if the medium could be cheaper and more easily available to people (big-box stores). Otherwise, I'd just keep using what I use. It's predictable.

I was just looking at the cactus mix in the garage. It looks to me like it would work straight out of the bag. But, I'll probably add 20% perlite. I'm thinking about adding some Kellogg Patio Plus potting mix. That's more woody and peat-based. I think that might make a good texture. (But, I want to keep it simple so someone who might want to try growing doesn't have buy much to get started.).

The way I grow, I don't have a rich soil with nutrients in it. So, I think this cactus mix would be good as just a (light) soil medium. It's sandy. Has a lot of perlite (compared to the Kellogg Patio Plus which I use with HP Pro-Mix). I bought a bag last week. I remember a few years ago one was torn open at the tore and I immeiately thought "that's perfect!" I still have that feeling about it, looking at it again today for the first time. It's more sandy/pumice than woody/foresty.

I've googled can't find anyone else has tried to use it. That makes me think it must be a bad idea. It's hard to believe someone hasn't already had this idea.
ive planted my veggies right into it,fast growth oh boy,like i said trail and error i was trying it out to see how far i could go,medicine is important to me and i just feed the KNF because i didnt wont it petering out 3 or 4 weeks before harvest

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Maybe real soil properly tended in the ground doesnt go bad but peat mixes sure do. They get compacted dense and stop holding water. And all the perlite would look funny to me outside.
That is one issue with Promix... it is only really good for one season, IMO. In 5 gallon buckets, the root and Promix are so intertwined that it is like cutting a giant cake. It's hard to tell the roots from the Promix. It isn't really good for supplying nutrients by itself, which is the main reasons I like it (also it's ability to avoid being waterlogged or overwatered). It allows me total control of everything except the buffering, which is built in. It doesn't react as fast as hydro, but is pretty good at getting the nutrients spread out and hopefully avoiding overages or salt accumulations.
Like Coco, I guess if it is allowed to get out of kilter, it can be a dog to correct. This is one reason I prefer to use less nutrients than the average bear. Less stuff, less chance of screwing up. Preventative maintenance!

m8ty

m8ty

Why do you want to overeater your plants? You should be watering once a week in media if you are in the right size container.

Are you gonna be ok with the odor from the plants growing in a small apartment?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why do you want to overeater your plants? You should be watering once a week in media if you are in the right size container.

Are you gonna be ok with the odor from the plants growing in a small apartment?
Coco needs watering at least daily and usually multiple times a day is better.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I thought the common thing to do was to let it dry out before watering it... or am I confusing it wiith something else? I like to water mine with a gallon a day once they get cooking, but I thought that Coco needed (or you were "supposed" to) to dry out. I gotta be mixing it up with something else, but Promix gets watered daily.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I thought the common thing to do was to let it dry out before watering it... or am I confusing it wiith something else? I like to water mine with a gallon a day once they get cooking, but I thought that Coco needed (or you were "supposed" to) to dry out. I gotta be mixing it up with something else, but Promix gets watered daily.
Would depend on what it's mixed with but like op listed 70/30 perlite should be once a day for sure from my understanding. It's more like hydro than soil

BigCube

BigCube

Would depend on what it's mixed with but like op listed 70/30 perlite should be once a day for sure from my understanding. It's more like hydro than soil

It depends on the size of your plant and the size of your pot. You can water every day regardless. When the plant is in veg, small or in a pot bigger than required, you can easily go 2 days without watering.

Once a day is a good rule of thumb. Even in flower, and filling the pot, I only need to water once a day with promix hpcc.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

correct,exchange is key especially in flower,more you feed better plant becomes,it has nothing to feed and build salt quick

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

coco is like manure,in a way,once it dries up re hydrating is a act of congress,it has nothing and pretty much just some thing for roots to get air threw,feeding 3 or 4 times a day exchange the air/cation exchange,rinses all salts out reason for the 20% runoff same with your pro mix really exchange,soil running to a 20% runoff is washing all out of pots,the issues folk have in coco is they know they should be at say 750 ppm so they feed it that 4 times a day instead of making say 2 gal for daily feed and each gallon dialed in at 750 ,if the plants are doing best at 750 make both gallons combined at 750 and feed from it,there over dosing there gear if you dig,there feeding 750 each feed instead of 187.5 each feed to close the day out with 750 for that whole day,i have problems writing shit down ,hope you can make heads or tails of what im talking about

BigCube

BigCube

Once every 2 days in veg, once a day in flower. 20% runout. My promix hpcc has never dried out. This twice a day or more bs is for people who have tiny pots, very low rh, very hot environments or OCD. All things that should be addressed instead of bandaiding the problem by watering more.

Standard rules apply, lift your freaking pot to tell how much water is left in it. If it's still heavy and wet, why would you water/feed it again? It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom