Trying to find a good medium I can feed/water every 2 days...(5 gal pot)

• Thread starter luxeluxe99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

First time grower.

I really wanted to do 70 coco/30 perlite (because of the smaller pot, faster growth, hard to overwater, etc) but the idea of mixing nutes every day has me a little concerned. Watering every day, okay, but it would mean opening 4 bottles a day and mixing, ph'ing, ppm'ing every day for 3+ months straight, i know myself, it may do my head in. Maybe something i can do this every other day?

I know regular peat mix is usually can be every 3rd day watering, and coco is at least once a day, what's a nice middle ground? Was thinking of "Root Organic Original", which is both peat and coco but no idea how often this is watered. Would be in a 5 gallon pot indoors in a tent.

And would feeding every 2 days be more beneficial than every 3rd day? here are 2 i found that are both coco and soil.

Any ideas? thanks.

"Roots INGREDIENTS: Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material, Pumice, Worm Castings, Bat Guano, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, and Greensand. Also contains beneficial microbes: Funneliformis mosseae, Rhizophagus intraradices, Septoglomus desertícola to enhance uptake of plant nutrients, increase roots biomass, and help container grown plants resist stress"

"HP Pro-mix CC: Pro-Mix® HP-CC Mycorrhizae is a lightweight, high-porosity peat-based growing medium that contains chunk coir"

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you wanna go coco and mix nutes once a week why not just get a cooler or container with a spout mix up as much nutes as you need for the week and just water as you need or use a drip feed?

Nutes don't go bad but an airstone or small pump will help keep it mixed well.

luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

Nevermind looks like you wanna go organic... Go with soil

oh, i don't care if it's organic or not for sure. Although i might do an organic grow later.

I thought about putting nutes in this for easy measuring, although that means at least 4 of them it could take the annoyance of opening 4 bottles every day...

or are you saying i can put the nutes in that spout bottle as my mix for the week. Happy to put in fridge if it's only one bottle. : )! But i heard you cannot mix A&B's, that they must be in the water. But then again, happy to put my gallon water bottle already mixed in the fridge and use a liter a day out of it. That would totally work and would mean i mix every 3 days! Which i can totally live with.

I don't have much room, it's 300 sf apartment with my boyfriend and i have a tiny tent because of it, so things like coolers make life a little more cluttery which in a small space like mine is a priority to avoid.

What if i have a gallon bottle of water and mix enough nutes in there for 2 waterings, does it have to be in a cooler or is 2 days out okay? I'll be kinda totally psyched if i can do a mostly coir grow. I want those 3 gal pots way more than i want to do 5 gal pots. And that i can re-use coco coir is a bonus.

(Sorry for the answer delay, i'm a newbie so some of my posts need to be approved.)

Last edited:
fishbuds

fishbuds

i got lucky with 1/3 peat, 1/3 good compost, 1/3 perlite. somehow my greenest plant with minimal nutes, mostly bennies and enzymes

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

oh, i don't care if it's organic or not for sure. Although i might do an organic grow later.

I thought about putting nutes in this for easy measuring, although that means at least 4 of them it could take the annoyance of opening 4 bottles every day...

or are you saying i can put the nutes in that spout bottle as my mix for the week. Happy to put in fridge if it's only one bottle. : )! But i heard you cannot mix A&B's, that they must be in the water. But then again, happy to put my gallon water bottle already mixed in the fridge and use a liter a day out of it. That would totally work and would mean i mix every 3 days! Which i can totally live with.

I don't have much room, it's 300 sf apartment with my boyfriend and i have a tiny tent because of it, so things like coolers make life a little more cluttery which in a small space like mine is a priority to avoid.

What if i have a gallon bottle of water and mix enough nutes in there for 2 waterings, does it have to be in a cooler or is 2 days out okay? I'll be kinda totally psyched if i can do a mostly coir grow. I want those 3 gal pots way more than i want to do 5 gal pots. And that i can re-use coco coir is a bonus.

(Sorry for the answer delay, i'm a newbie so some of my posts need to be approved.)
Can use something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...4940&s=gateway&sprefix=water+bag+campi&sr=8-3

Mix the nutes with your water for desired ppm (feed strength) or any large container. Just need to mix up before use. Can use a 45gallon drum or brute garbage can if you need that much and just put a rain barrel spout on the bottom. Use an airstone or small water pump to keep mixed. Then just take what you need to water throughout the week.

Don't do this with organics though.

It's basically a res. Don't put any mixed nutes in the fridge it can cause some nutrients to precipitate out depending on concentrations. You can mix a+b in water and store. You just can mix the concentrates directly together because it will cause nutrients to precipitate out. In higher concentrations some nutrient sources don't like each other 😁 but once mixed in water you can store them it's not ideal for shipping purposes but for use no problem

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Any potting soil or peat lite mix can work. You have to experiment to know how much perlite to add. For my room in a 3 gallon pot of ocean forest about 25% added perlite gives me 2-3 days between watering at peak bloom. This is with 1200 watrs of hps. More time in between while the plant is younger. About a week under t-5 flourescents in the veg tent.

luxeluxe99

luxeluxe99

Can use something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Pro...4940&s=gateway&sprefix=water+bag+campi&sr=8-3

Mix the nutes with your water for desired ppm (feed strength) or any large container. Just need to mix up before use. Can use a 45gallon drum or brute garbage can if you need that much and just put a rain barrel spout on the bottom. Use an airstone or small water pump to keep mixed. Then just take what you need to water throughout the week.

Don't do this with organics though.

:D. definitely no room for a 45 gallon drum anywhere near my tiny apartment but that sounds awesome. But if i can do a premix in larger than a couple liters container, freakin' awesome!!🙌 I'll use a gallon container and stick it somewhere. Thank you so much. This has me way happy, i really wanted coco. : ) Aurora Soul Soilless, here i come!

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lucky Dog K9. Takes a couple days to dry out and has lotta good stuff in it. I am too lazy to figure out how to do it myself. Just buy a bag...got peat in it, too.

It will dry out differently in different environments. Every grow is different.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I use Promix with about 20% compost/manure. I water daily or every other day but only feed about once every 15 days. I have good results and it is very low maint and pretty much foolproof, especially if you don't use too much nutes. I've used this mix for 30 years or more and had no problems at all. Its similar to Coco but I think it drains much better and it doesn't get fussy if you don't let it dry and all the other things that you are "supposed" to do with Coco.
Just my opinion!

az2000

az2000

My peat/potting-mix/perlite soil is documented here. (<<link). It has enough nutrients for the first week or two. After a plant has grown into the container, it dries in 2-3 days. I've used it for 4-5 years with organic-leaning Grow More - Sea Grow (and supplement with other things <<link).

I'm getting ready to grow a plant in Kellogg Cactus & Palm potting mix. I've wanted to try that for a few years. It seems like a really nice texture. It would be *cheap* and readily available to most people in North America. (My soil uses Pro-Mix HP, which can be expensive, not easily available everywhere. Part of the rarified hydro-store market. I found some at Lowes once, and my local hydro store complained to ProHorticulture about it. Haven't seen it in a big-box retail store since. ).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I use Promix with about 20% compost/manure. I water daily or every other day but only feed about once every 15 days. I have good results and it is very low maint and pretty much foolproof, especially if you don't use too much nutes. I've used this mix for 30 years or more and had no problems at all. Its similar to Coco but I think it drains much better and it doesn't get fussy if you don't let it dry and all the other things that you are "supposed" to do with Coco.
Just my opinion!
I use @Jimster mix for my mother's.... Lol he wasn't kidding you plant and twiddle your thumbs. I water like 2 times a week no issues. I haven't used it for flower as I grow in hydro and just take clones from them. Also they get minimal light.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

My peat/potting-mix/perlite soil is documented here. (<<link). It has enough nutrients for the first week or two. After a plant has grown into the container, it dries in 2-3 days. I've used it for 4-5 years with organic-leaning Grow More - Sea Grow (and supplement with other things <<link).

I'm getting ready to grow a plant in Kellogg Cactus & Palm potting mix. I've wanted to try that for a few years. It seems like a really nice texture. It would be *cheap* and readily available to most people in North America. (My soil uses Pro-Mix HP, which can be expensive, not easily available everywhere. Part of the rarified hydro-store market. I found some at Lowes once, and my local hydro store complained to ProHorticulture about it. Haven't seen it in a big-box retail store since. ).

Pro mix hp is usually available at farm/feed stores. $25 per square bale. Up to $40 at hydro stores. But because of competition the ocean forest is only $13 per bag at the hydro stores here.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Pro mix hp is usually available at farm/feed stores. $25 per square bale. Up to $40 at hydro stores. But because of competition the ocean forest is only $13 per bag at the hydro stores here.
I usually pay about $35/bale, but I have seen some places sell it for as much as $125! I guess it the Promix Ag, as in silver or gold! I get about 8 5 gallon buckets out of a bale and a bag of compost.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I usually pay about $35/bale, but I have seen some places sell it for as much as $125! I guess it the Promix Ag, as in silver or gold! I get about 8 5 gallon buckets out of a bale and a bag of compost.

Its pot stores ripping off growers like always. Seems the legal noobs are even more gullible than we were with almost no information available.

I know i have only grown for 6 years but i have been working with growers since the 80’s. And they paid a lot for soil and fertilizer with fancy labels.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

beat me too it,i was gonna suggest the kelogg bag soil myself,i have used it and works really well in veg,about 2 weeks in flower i started feeding KNF so really didnt give it a full chance,the stuff is good

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

you kidding me,ocean forest is 25 bucks a bag here,thats why i went with the kellog last round aint that some shit,is that the big bag?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

feed store lowes home depot you cant get it here,last time i used pro mix about 4 yrs ago i paid like 25 for a bail and had to have it shipped to my door holes in bag and all hhahah,i even tried nurseries around here ,no luck,that little adventure started me back to making my own soil,damn i was pissed too,bail showed up with 4 difrent pieces of tape on bail about 1/4 of it gone,mail truck just dumped it on my porch came home it was leaning half on door other half on side walk

Latest posts

Top Bottom