Trying to find a good medium I can feed/water every 2 days...(5 gal pot)

• Thread starter luxeluxe99
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

feed store lowes home depot you cant get it here,last time i used pro mix about 4 yrs ago i paid like 25 for a bail and had to have it shipped to my door holes in bag and all hhahah,i even tried nurseries around here ,no luck,that little adventure started me back to making my own soil,damn i was pissed too,bail showed up with 4 difrent pieces of tape on bail about 1/4 of it gone,mail truck just dumped it on my porch came home it was leaning half on door other half on side walk

Also to comment to @Jimster

Premier horticulture packages for processional growers (pro mix bales) and also to retail stores like home depot but they get different mixes. And lower grade mixes with more filler.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

1.5 cubic feet bag. Guess its the big bag. They package happy frog at 2 cubic feet. Its their budget option.

A few years ago it was $20 around here. Now we got rec.
they have a new amend product also,has a bull dog on front of bail,that some potent stuff,stink to high heaven but really good stuff,i thought i would try it and reamend some of my potato containers,damn i couldnt keep up with it,i like to just see the soil starting to break and add 2 inches of soil on top,get more that way,but hell every day i was putting more on them,good stuff indeed,i wouldnt have any issues trying it on vegging plants,loaded to the gill with ewc

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

they have a new amend product also,has a bull dog on front of bail,that some potent stuff,stink to high heaven but really good stuff,i thought i would try it and reamend some of my potato containers,damn i couldnt keep up with it,i like to just see the soil starting to break and add 2 inches of soil on top,get more that way,but hell every day i was putting more on them,good stuff indeed,i wouldnt have any issues trying it on vegging plants,loaded to the gill with ewc

I havent tried lucky dog or any of their other new stuff. I just keep going back to good ol’ ocean forest and extra perlite. In addition to better drainage and cutting the soil nutes some the 25% added perlite stretches out the budget.

And both new bags i bought tested about 6.5 ph like always. Dont know why so many blame the soil. It has been consistant for me for years.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man you soil guys make me feel "special"(is that the politically correct term now?). Maybe just to much contact with synthetic nutes.... Idk. I'm lost when you guys get into the base and amendments and soil composition.

Hydro seems sooo much easier to me... You all gonna have to tutor this over watered potato when I switch next spring. Gotta say I'm pumped though.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I havent tried lucky dog or any of their other new stuff. I just keep going back to good ol’ ocean forest and extra perlite. In addition to better drainage and cutting the soil nutes some the 25% added perlite stretches out the budget.

And both new bags i bought tested about 6.5 ph like always. Dont know why so many blame the soil. It has been consistant for me for years.
thats the name of it,it is for amending your soil,your ocean can be amended with it instead of buying new stuff,you mentioned something i have also done several times,ph and npk test,N is more than adequate p and k right on cue,i test all bag soil if i use them,i just like the idea of knowing what i got,so i put my science lab coat on and go,hahahah i dont get the too hot thing either,i pop seeds in the stuff,i use wood chips instead of perlite,dont like the stuff all i have taken out of a bucket was as hard as a rock,so holding nutes aint happening,wood chip hold the stuff were all i do is water,i only feed my medicine with KNF product i made in flower just to suit me,no other real reason,the plants love eating thereselves and stay happy

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Man you soil guys make me feel "special"(is that the politically correct term now?). Maybe just to much contact with synthetic nutes.... Idk. I'm lost when you guys get into the base and amendments and soil composition.

Hydro seems sooo much easier to me... You all gonna have to tutor this over watered potato when I switch next spring. Gotta say I'm pumped though.
start cooking now bro,the soil dont go bad,i like to make in summer for the heat on my piles,first time it frezzes i stretch it all out on tarps to kill any bugs or larvae then i put in a thrash can and the condensation on the lid is enough to keep it alive,just a few holes in bottom of can is all it needs to run threw and flat bottom it just goes right back into the soil and bugs cant get in worms might but they got to work for it,the smell is awesome of fresh soil ,you have short summers and it is best to get it going now and store for the spring event sale if you dig

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think the old standard method is easy. Ocean forest mixed with extra perlite to suit and then with transplants up to new soil water only until week 2 of flower then its pretty much a soiless hydro grow from there.

I want to be able to easily move plants around and have them in all stages of growth.

It isnt a no till soil kind of grow. There are levels and methods that fit with your experience fine.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

start cooking now bro,the soil dont go bad,i like to make in summer for the heat on my piles,first time it frezzes i stretch it all out on tarps to kill any bugs or larvae then i put in a thrash can and the condensation on the lid is enough to keep it alive,just a few holes in bottom of can is all it needs to run threw and flat bottom it just goes right back into the soil and bugs cant get in worms might but they got to work for it,the smell is awesome of fresh soil ,you have short summers and it is best to get it going now and store for the spring event sale if you dig
If you get some time can you shoot me a list and I will get it going. I never thought about time to cook it. Oh that shit will freeze up here... Likely have frost bitten soil in spring lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Maybe real soil properly tended in the ground doesnt go bad but peat mixes sure do. They get compacted dense and stop holding water. And all the perlite would look funny to me outside.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think the old standard method is easy. Ocean forest mixed with extra perlite to suit and then with transplants up to new soil water only until week 2 of flower then its pretty much a soiless hydro grow from there.

I want to be able to easily move plants around and have them in all stages of growth.

It isnt a no till soil kind of grow. There are levels and methods that fit with your experience fine.
Just ocean and perlite?

BigCube

BigCube

First time grower.

I really wanted to do 70 coco/30 perlite (because of the smaller pot, faster growth, hard to overwater, etc) but the idea of mixing nutes every day has me a little concerned. Watering every day, okay, but it would mean opening 4 bottles a day and mixing, ph'ing, ppm'ing every day for 3+ months straight, i know myself, it may do my head in. Maybe something i can do this every other day?

I know regular peat mix is usually can be every 3rd day watering, and coco is at least once a day, what's a nice middle ground? Was thinking of "Root Organic Original", which is both peat and coco but no idea how often this is watered. Would be in a 5 gallon pot indoors in a tent.

And would feeding every 2 days be more beneficial than every 3rd day? here are 2 i found that are both coco and soil.

Any ideas? thanks.

"Roots INGREDIENTS: Perlite, Coco Fiber, Peat Moss, Composted Forest Material, Pumice, Worm Castings, Bat Guano, Soybean Meal, Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Kelp Meal, and Greensand. Also contains beneficial microbes: Funneliformis mosseae, Rhizophagus intraradices, Septoglomus desertícola to enhance uptake of plant nutrients, increase roots biomass, and help container grown plants resist stress"

"HP Pro-mix CC: Pro-Mix® HP-CC Mycorrhizae is a lightweight, high-porosity peat-based growing medium that contains chunk coir"

I use the promix hpcc with mycorrhizae. It's awesome stuff. No need to mix daily. I would mix a 5 gal bucket once a week or so.

Watered every 2 days in veg, once a day in flower.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I mean I'm using @Jimster mix but organic promix with myco, composted cow manure and some birch wood ash. This would be similar no?

Not really. I want excellent drainage first. Faster and easier to correct issues that way. Ocean forest doesnt need any of that and if i used pro mix i would also rely on fertilizer instead.

If i was to bother ammending soil i would add everything like a super soil or a slow release organic fert and just water. But very little control that way. And i grow different plants from seed often so i dont know what they will need.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

If you get some time can you shoot me a list and I will get it going. I never thought about time to cook it. Oh that shit will freeze up here... Likely have frost bitten soil in spring lol.
i will bro,it easy as shit and l will get you a list together after while,mama is barking to go to town ,i mind this bitch will shoot my ass,you know what a air soft gun is right,mine are hide,crazy ass shot me 2 times with it,them damn things stink like hell hahahah

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not really. I want excellent drainage first. Faster and easier to correct issues that way. Ocean forest doesnt need any of that and if i used pro mix i would also rely on fertilizer instead.

If i was to bother ammending soil i would add everything like a super soil or a slow release organic fert and just water. But very little control that way. And i grow different plants from seed often so i dont know what they will need.
That's my fear in soil. In hydro if I don't like the way shits going I just change it EZ PEAZY.

Latest posts

Top Bottom