Trying to get back on track. Coco Coir Hydroponic. High pH

• Thread starter blackd0ve420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

I have my plants in self watering pots in pure coco coir. I water in their nutrients with canna coco step 1/2.

Recently I been noticing some problems with them. I've noticed that my water is way to alkaline but at the same time I feel I may have nuked them too much with nutes recently (Was trying to compensate for their growth). The self watering pots are kind of annoying but helpful at the same time. I don't have to worry about underwatering it...but have to be very careful about over watering as it doesn't really drain out the bottom...lately I just been pushing on the coir with both hands and draining it over the edge.

Anyways I feel my problem has to do with the long exposure to high ph water, the nute nuke (couple days of high nutes), not enough leeching, and possibly a magnesium deficiency.

I also adjusted by nute feeding to include 1 liter high ph h20 (I should be receiving a bottle of ph up/down soon), 2ml step 1/2 (half strength for now), 1 tablespoon of epson salt (magnesium sulfate), a tea spoon of dextrose, and 1-1.5ml of white distilled vinegar to bring down the ph of the water from 7.5+ to 5.5-6. When these seedlings come up I plan on putting them in regular pots this time, may also do a few soil pots.

I also like to top off the plants every other day with some ph treated water. My plan is to switch the timer over to 12/12 once the plants look more recovered/when I'm 100% sure of their sex. I'll take the other seedlings to a different spot so they can not get stressed over the 12/12 change

I'll post more pictures tomorrow too. I just wanted some general guidance..

Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 2
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 3
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 4
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 5
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 6
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 7
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 8
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 9
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 10
Trying to get back on track coco coir hydroponic high ph 11
billopuffalot

billopuffalot

hey
i do coco but not canna brand
i find ph 5.8 beneficial
how is yourbase water?
i find bad base water will cause issues at tomes
i also like to let them dry a bit between waters
lets the roots explore and gets a bigger rootzone
all the best
bil

blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

My water comes from a well 200 feet deep. The ph of it is at least 7.5, maybe even higher. I was advised, as well as seeing people post, that they water with nutrients every day...which is what I was doing until this all went down. I'm a little confused mainly on what my feeding/watering schedule should be like..

So you recommend treating it like soil almost and waiting till it's not completely dry but has dried off a good bit? Which I guess would be like once every 2-3 days?

Thank you for the response!

billopuffalot

billopuffalot

hey
yer similar to soil to plants are established
i like the top 2 inches or more to be dry before feeding again
also alowing them to dry adds more dry salts
so i also incorporate a watering of just water
and also step my over flow to 30 %
its trial and error untill u find something that works foru
all the best
bil

blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

Wouldn't a salt build up be toxic to them? I guess that's what the regular watering is for..
Ok so when do you recommend I top off with ph adjusted water? Same day as feeding? When they look dryer? Then feed? Sorry for all the questions lol

billopuffalot

billopuffalot

ill generally
feed
then on day 3 of the week
hit em threw with just phed water
basically every 2nd day is good for watering till they are established
then depending on pot size can water daily
all the best
bil

blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

Thanks for clarifying that for me! I fed them today so I suppose I'll give them some ph adjusted water tomorrow, wait until the coir has dried out like you said then feed again annnndd repeat! Once they're healthy again and are switched to 12/12 I'll slowly bring up the nutes as needed. If anyone else has anything to add feel free :).

blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

So my new feeding schedule is going to be: Day 1 Main Feeding, Day 2 ph adjusted water w/very light nutes(I hear it helps leeches better), Day 3 nothin (Let dry a bit), repeat when coco coir is at the right moisture.

For my water day I been doing a half liter water, .25-.5ml Step 1/.5ml step 2, half tablespoon of magnesium sulfate, 1.5 ml white distilled vinegar which brings down the combination to around 5.5.

I also been holding the plants upside down (Firmly holding the plant/pressing lightly) before I do any feeding/watering to empty out any lingering old feedings. I hear it will be about a week or so before I even start to see if it's helping or not so here goes nothing lol

blackd0ve420

blackd0ve420

I also wanted to add this photo to see what everyone's opinion of it is. I have a few ideas based from my book but I'm sure some one already knows what this is a sign of. Thank you in advance!

Edit: Also I know the coir looks super wet because I just watered with adjusted water before I took the pic.

IMG 20131117 214717
Top Bottom