Trying to make DIY Athena Cleanse (hypochlorous acid)

• Thread starter infam0usgro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
infam0usgro

infam0usgro

Hello all,

As you are aware active ingredient in ATHENA CLEANSE is hypochlorous acid.

I am aware that you can buy a hypochlorous acid maker and make your own. However i am also aware that hypochlorous acid becomes less stable as time goes by.

Does anyone know how to make the athena cleanse version or is it no secret at all? just wondering if a higher salt content in the water would disrupt the plant in any negative form. I heard that theres a certain ppm they use so any knowledge would greatly be appreciated.

Trying to make my own with out paying the big dollar prices. Thanks!

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
UC Roots and Clear Rez are just hypochlorous acid and a LOT of water. HTH Pool Shock is concentrated powder hypochlorous acid. Add 24 grams pool shock per gallon. Use 5 ml per 5 gallons to keep your reservoir or cloner sterile.

Alternately, use 5 drops off the shelf unscented landry bleach per gallon. 1 ml./5 gallons.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

UC Roots and Clear Rez are just hypochlorous acid and a LOT of water. HTH Pool Shock is concentrated powder hypochlorous acid. Add 24 grams pool shock per gallon. Use 5 ml per 5 gallons to keep your reservoir or cloner sterile.

Alternately, use 5 drops off the shelf unscented landry bleach per gallon. 1 ml./5 gallons.
You think this solution would stop root rot? Running a live res now but hoping a switch to sterile will get rid of the issue assuming I’ve corrected the cause, which I think I have, light leaks.

Spacekadet42

Spacekadet42

Hypochlorous Acid is shelf stable at 280-550ppm. I use both pool shock and I have a generator, the end result is the same. Pool shock has a flocculant in it which settles to the bottom. Make sure the final solution is PH’d to 6.0-6.6ish and check the strength with some chlorine test strips.

I switched to H2o2 and sanidate because it does a better job at keeping things clean and doesn’t lose its oxidation reduction potential as quickly.

There’s some information out there that some, if not most, of the chlorine evaporates once it comes in contact with nitrogen. This can be checked with an ORP meter. I opted not to get one bc that’s just more money to blow on equipment and time to waste doing calibrations.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
StealthLED

StealthLED

Iv been looking at this on eBay its only 20quid if you're in the uk. Athena says its 0.028% this stuff says 0.02% so almost the same but like 3x cheaper

Screenshot 20210830 222413 comebaymobile
Screenshot 20210830 222420 comebaymobile
Varmit22

Varmit22

I have even looking for awhile also, found this. Almost 2x stronger concentration
E00DD240 2C92 43AA 886B 5D62440EB37A

P

papiculo

What % calcium hypochlorite do you use for this recipe? Because hth has a 52 and a 56% cal hypo with the same name.

Also is 5ml per 5gal a typo? Or is it 1ml per 5 gal?

Would free chlorine test strips be able to measure the free chlorine in a nutrient solution? Because adding this recipe to straight ro, I can measure 1-3ppm free chlorine, but in a nutrient solution, it won't pick any free chlorine up.

Also in what order would you dose the shock? Before/after nutrients before/after pH adjustment?

Lol so many questions...
Thanks in advance !

Top Bottom