TSD's Sun Loving Outdoor Grow 2023 🌞

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Well, I have 2 scrogs set up in the garden already... I might move them so I can fit a couple more... of course that means digging new holes and extra manual labor lol. I'll likely need to have a few at a second location like I usually do, not sure if I'll scrog there or not. I do enjoy a good scrogging though, so I would like to scrog as much as I can. 😁🤓🤣
You really inspired me to try and do a scrog outdoors this season. We live in a house where our neighbors yards and ours are unfenced so you can see directly into the backyard. There is a spot I have picked out but I'm going to need to camoflauge it with some other tall plants to hide them. I might set up a cucumber trellis around it so that they aren't so noticeable from afar.

TSD

TSD

You really inspired me to try and do a scrog outdoors this season. We live in a house where our neighbors yards and ours are unfenced so you can see directly into the backyard. There is a spot I have picked out but I'm going to need to camoflauge it with some other tall plants to hide them. I might set up a cucumber trellis around it so that they aren't so noticeable from afar.
I put morning glories, tall cosmos, sometimes beans around the inner garden fence. Sunflowers on the north side and to block the line of sight from my side entrance.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

You can make or buy screens. Even burlap ones will last a season. Patterned ones in a wooden frame look nice. As does the newer pvc sheets.

Something like this but better colour.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

You can make or buy screens. Even burlap ones will last a season. Patterned ones in a wooden frame look nice. As does the newer pvc sheets.

Something like this but better colour.
I looked at that as an option but around here it gets windy sometimes so I'd have to actually build some sort of skeleton to hang the panels off of. For that matter I might as well rebuild the greenhouse we had that got blown over.

The scrog is mostly to keep the height down.

@TSD - How large an area do you think I'll need if I plant now and harvest in October? Planning on planting 8 plants. 6 Florida Strawberry and 2 Moonglow.

S

Stonemason7767

I looked at that as an option but around here it gets windy sometimes so I'd have to actually build some sort of skeleton to hang the panels off of. For that matter I might as well rebuild the greenhouse we had that got blown over.
We use tall t shaped metal fence post and metal fence for cucumbers.cheap works good .

S

Stonemason7767

Ya chain link would work.we use something cheaper with large squares so.you can reach through and pick the sneaky ones.the taller the better.i think we stacked to 4 foot rolls.on top of each other.

20220729 144722
TSD

TSD

The scrog is mostly to keep the height down.

@TSD - How large an area do you think I'll need if I plant now and harvest in October? Planning on planting 8 plants. 6 Florida Strawberry and 2 Moonglow.
Well, my scrog with 2 plants was about 4x7.5 and the one biggest was about the same but had a little space left on one side. I think I'll stretch them out more and keep them lower this year. It depends a lot on strain and location too, how big they get. I used the 2x3 square size coated metal fence, the hammer in metal posts and some zip ties to make my scrog and it didn't budge.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Ya chain link would work.we use something cheaper with large squares so.you can reach through and pick the sneaky ones.the taller the better.i think we stacked to 4 foot rolls.on top of each other.
Nice!! I like using 6" cement mesh for vertical trellising.

TSD

TSD

The only thing with using squash or cukes as a cover to hide, is that most in the cucurbit family are powdery mildew magnets, which you don't want near your ladies... so if you do use them, spray something to deter pm on them.

TSD

TSD

Also for the actual scrog, using raw metal isn't the best because the stems that rub on it get scuffed and turn brown and even get worn down to the inner parts, from the motion of the wind... that's why I used coated wire fence.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Well, my scrog with 2 plants was about 4x7.5 and the one biggest was about the same but had a little space left on one side. I think I'll stretch them out more and keep them lower this year. It depends a lot on strain and location too, how big they get. I used the 2x3 square size coated metal fence, the hammer in metal posts and some zip ties to make my scrog and it didn't budge.
Is that the footprint of the space or how tall they got?

This is the space I want to utilize as it gets the most sun throughout the day. 20 gal pots lined up down the center.

KoWev0n

S

Stonemason7767

Exactly what I was thinking about the p.m. and cucumbers. I had one going right next to that patch of cucumbers small plant sprayed it once every couple weeks with lactic acid bacteria she never got it .cucumbers did after they gave thier fruit.the cucumbers always get it .I have been able to keep it off of them until they are spent in the fall and have givin thier fruit,but they always end up with it.we used to lose them to it early sumer sometimes before first harvest ,before we started spraying bacteria and microbes.
The lilac bushes get it bad too.

TSD

TSD

Is that the footprint of the space or how tall they got?
The footprint/size of the actual scrog screen... and they could have been spread out more but I left for a week during stretch and they got away from me. Height wise they were probably around 4 to 4.5 feet, this year I plan on trying to keep them a bit lower by starting the scrog a little sooner, lowering it maybe half a foot, and topping, which I did not do last year. It was still a vast improvement in stealth and ease of maintenance from the previous year, when they were like 7 feet and I needed a ladder to tend them. Plan on improving the method this year now that I know it works.
Is that wall on the North side, so it won't block the actual sunlight? Or whatever direction the sun isn't, I forget where everyone is located.... but I think we're in the same hemisphere lol.

TSD

TSD

Well today was transplant day. We graduated from 4 inch nursery pots to 1 gallon nursery pots. I'm using @CannaGranny 's magic dirt .. except slightly less perlite because I was stoned and forgot to dump in the last third of it and didn't notice till after they were done. Oh well, don't think that's a make or break mistake. Here they are pre transplant:
20230404 084520

Here is the dirt and how I made my holes for a smooth transition.
20230404 091319

Added mycos... took me a few plants to realize that spritzing the dirt made it way easier to make it stick since the plants and the dirt were relatively dry. Watered in with just water and silica.
20230404 085436
20230404 091655

Here's a root shot, think this was LSD.
20230404 095243

Here they are directly after transplant and an aggressive saturation... the soil couldn't hold another drop.
20230404 124430

Here they are just now, about 4 hours later.
20230404 155326

I raised the light to accommodate the pots and to let them chill. They are nestled in at the moment, but I'll add the led once I'm done with the auto, and give them space.
I'm out of town Sunday for 2 days, hoping the watering lines up, I think it will, these will take several days to dry, even with the extra holes.
They look like they'll bounce back well, maybe I'll top then give some tea before I go, so I can just let them be for a few days.
✌️ That's all I have for now ✌️

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I like to sprinkle some of the Myko on the sides of the hole so that you get a nice fungus ball all around the root ball.

TSD

TSD

I like to sprinkle some of the Myko on the sides of the hole so that you get a nice fungus ball all around the root ball.
Yeah I did on the later ones after I figured out it needed to be moist to stick, I sprinkled half in the hole and half around the actual roots.

flowerdave

flowerdave

Looking real good, I just transplanted yesterday also. Will you go one size up? I figure i will have to because it will be about 6 weeks until i can go in the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom