TSD's Sun Loving Outdoor Grow 2023 🌞

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Today is the start of week 6. Looking good, recovered from transplant and growing. Leaving town tomorrow for 2 nights, think I'll top before I go. They are not ready for a drink, so not sure how to handle that, don't want them to get thirsty while I'm gone. Might crank the temp today to force them to drink more and then do a light watering tomorrow...only been 4 days since the transplant saturation, I figured it would take 5 or 6 to dry. The 3 upfront will spend the afternoon near the led, because it will be added soon and they need to get accustomed to it. 100% going to run out of space before it's time to go out... oh well, I'll MacGyver up a solution.
20230408 104136

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Today is the start of week 6. Looking good, recovered from transplant and growing. Leaving town tomorrow for 2 nights, think I'll top before I go. They are not ready for a drink, so not sure how to handle that, don't want them to get thirsty while I'm gone. Might crank the temp today to force them to drink more and then do a light watering tomorrow...only been 4 days since the transplant saturation, I figured it would take 5 or 6 to dry. The 3 upfront will spend the afternoon near the led, because it will be added soon and they need to get accustomed to it. 100% going to run out of space before it's time to go out... oh well, I'll MacGyver up a solution. View attachment 1349185
They look real nice and healthy. I too am quickly running out of room. It happened so fast.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Today is the start of week 6. Looking good, recovered from transplant and growing. Leaving town tomorrow for 2 nights, think I'll top before I go. They are not ready for a drink, so not sure how to handle that, don't want them to get thirsty while I'm gone. Might crank the temp today to force them to drink more and then do a light watering tomorrow...only been 4 days since the transplant saturation, I figured it would take 5 or 6 to dry. The 3 upfront will spend the afternoon near the led, because it will be added soon and they need to get accustomed to it. 100% going to run out of space before it's time to go out... oh well, I'll MacGyver up a solution. View attachment 1349185
Gday, they all looking healthy, a nice green and wide leaves looking good. I've watched a few YT vids with Kyle Kushman Chiropractics and I've been doing that along withe topping to keep my girls down and flexible while in veg. I can manipulate their arms in any direction I chose and it just strengthens their stalks. Have a look ........If you haven't already ....at his technique........ I like the snap.....lol

TSD

TSD

Gday, they all looking healthy, a nice green and wide leaves looking good. I've watched a few YT vids with Kyle Kushman Chiropractics and I've been doing that along withe topping to keep my girls down and flexible while in veg. I can manipulate their arms in any direction I chose and it just strengthens their stalks. Have a look ........If you haven't already ....at his technique........ I like the snap.....lol
Yeah I've watched his videos... I think I might just stay vertical till I go out, because If I start bending too soon, I will DEFINITELY run out of space and be outside my light's footprint. Think I'll do what I did last year and plant them at a dramatic angle in the hole to aid in my scrogging.

flowerdave

flowerdave

Yeah I've watched his videos... I think I might just stay vertical till I go out, because If I start bending too soon, I will DEFINITELY run out of space and be outside my light's footprint. Think I'll do what I did last year and plant them at a dramatic angle in the hole to aid in my scrogging.
I try to plant them on a angle where i need to keep em low then i take a string and keep pulling it slowly sideways . Others i let reach for the sky where they arnt so noticeable

flowerdave

flowerdave

Yeah my babies in the garden are going to get scrogged, usually I don't do too much to the ones at location 2 because stealth isn't a concern.
I feel lucky there. we are in the middle of 13 acres surrounded by woods. But the law says under lock and key. if that's an issue i will have to build a locked gate but I garden for a judge and he says he hasn't seen a weed case in years so im not too worried. more about delivery drivers than anything

TSD

TSD

I feel lucky there. we are in the middle of 13 acres surrounded by woods. But the law says under lock and key. if that's an issue i will have to build a locked gate but I garden for a judge and he says he hasn't seen a weed case in years so im not too worried. more about delivery drivers than anything
I have a wire fence inside a 6 foot tall wooden plank fence, both with locks, but yeah, it's mostly for the nosey nellies... though if you're not looking for weed, odds are, the average Joe won't even spot it.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

The footprint/size of the actual scrog screen... and they could have been spread out more but I left for a week during stretch and they got away from me. Height wise they were probably around 4 to 4.5 feet, this year I plan on trying to keep them a bit lower by starting the scrog a little sooner, lowering it maybe half a foot, and topping, which I did not do last year. It was still a vast improvement in stealth and ease of maintenance from the previous year, when they were like 7 feet and I needed a ladder to tend them. Plan on improving the method this year now that I know it works.
Is that wall on the North side, so it won't block the actual sunlight? Or whatever direction the sun isn't, I forget where everyone is located.... but I think we're in the same hemisphere lol.
Yes. Chimney is on the North side. I have a lot of Oak trees around the yard that shade it so plants get maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight then the rest is filtered through the Oaks. I'm starting to think the Oaks are going to block too much sunlight to make it worthwhile.

TSD

TSD

Yes. Chimney is on the North side. I have a lot of Oak trees around the yard that shade it so plants get maybe 6 hours of direct sunlight then the rest is filtered through the Oaks. I'm starting to think the Oaks are going to block too much sunlight to make it worthwhile.
Yeah 6 hours is probably not going be optimal, they'll still grow. I've done grows in less than optimal conditions, the woods, where it's only mid day full sun and the rest filtered... they just don't get as big and solid as with full sun. Also moisture can be an issue and cause pm more easily in the shade. Mine look like they do because they have full sun for basically the whole day, they lose about a half hour at sunrise because of the giant tree to the east across the street, and a couple hours from the south in fall in the evenings... but otherwise, they have a prime location with full sun.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I tried growing one in filtered sunlight, thinking it may protect it from the intense heat and sun around here. Wrong! Stretched, spindly, somewhat slow. Threw in the towel and moved it, all 90 pounds of pot and plant, into the direct light. About killed myself doing it, but it turned into a decent plant by the end of the year! No substitute for direct sunlight! IMO.

TSD

TSD

Topped everyone except Candy Dawg, because it's already short and stout, may top at a later date. Gave a light drink because they could have gone another day, with 2 mls/gal of Farmer's Pride grow to help them recover. They don't really seem phased at the moment, probably hurt me more than it did them. I did it last night directly before lights out and this was this morning directly after watering. Out of town for 2 nights, so hopefully they heal well while I'm away.
20230409 124353

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Topped everyone except Candy Dawg, because it's already short and stout, may top at a later date. Gave a light drink because they could have gone another day, with 2 mls/gal of Farmer's Pride grow to help them recover. They don't really seem phased at the moment, probably hurt me more than it did them. I did it last night directly before lights out and this was this morning directly after watering. Out of town for 2 nights, so hopefully they heal well while I'm away. View attachment 1349561
Lush and green. Beautiful!!!

TSD

TSD

Week 7, not much to report. Topped a week ago. The only one that has had a drink since is Grandmommy Purple, the biggest, the others will be ready for water soon, time to start watering them separately based on needs because they are all different sizes now. I'm sure the topping slowed the water uptake for this week, plus I've also had the humidity higher because I've evicted the auto to the outdoors to either finish or die. Tempted to do some lst, but they are so tall... I don't really have the space till they go out. I've separate them, 5 and 5, under the led and the florescent, and am going to switch them back and forth, we'll see how they feel about this plan. Funny how different the greens look under the different lights... they all look the same in person under natural light. ✌️
20230415 091247
20230415 091257

TSD

TSD

Week 8 started Saturday, when this pic was taken.
20230423 190847

I've moved everyone back into the closet together, the Marshydro light started flickering, and I'm not trying to burn down my house, so the 240 watt light therapy box will have to suffice until we go outside. Few issues already, of course. Fungus gnats, which I think were probably in the mushroom compost that I used in my mix. Going to give an extra long dry period, they've all been going about 5 days between waterings as is, guess I'll let them go till I see wilt to try to kill the fuckers. Topped with diatomaceous earth and added some sticky traps. Have had a few yellowing lower leaves, can't determine if it's just from low light penetration, or an excess of gnats chewing my roots... I'm going with light because it's not really an infestation, just enough to make me wonder. Mostly just the 3 finger first leaves anyway, so not super concerned yet.... all that will come off come scrog time anyway.
The LSD (back left) seems to be showing signs of too much nitrogen, downcurling, dark leaves and slightly toasty tips... maybe it's just sensitive, it is a strong soil mix... maybe she got a bit that wasn't mixed the best. Not really feeding yet as they don't look like they need it. I did a very light seaweed feed after topping, that was weeks ago now. I did add a bit of epsom with the last watering because a couple had a few brown spots on some leaves.
I took everyone to the bathtub and did a nice spray down with lost coast, because odds are the first one didn't kill every last aphid that was on Cinderella XX, though I haven't seen any more, better safe than sorry.
Shaman seemed pissed about being topped, but seems ok now, has not pushed new growth up top, so maybe just a strain that shouldn't be topped... those Sativa doms can be picky.
Done some light lst on a few, Grandmommy Purple by accident, snapped her main stem, wrapped her in press and seal with some aloe, she's healed now and still taller than everyone else with a fraken-stem to boot. Laid a couple down for a few days to encourage upward growth... but now that we're all mushed together, probably just chill on the LST.
Might top or FIM again, not sure yet. We have about a month before we can go out, I might push that up a week depending on how they look, the weather, and if I can get my holes prepped. That's all for now folks.

Last edited:
K

Kopper1013

Week 8 started Saturday, when this pic was taken.View attachment 1956919

I've moved everyone back into the closet together, the Marshydro light started flickering, and I'm not trying to burn down my house, so the 240 watt light therapy box will have to suffice until we go outside. Few issues already, of course. Fungus gnats, which I think were probably in the mushroom compost that I used in my mix. Going to give an extra long dry period, they've all been going about 5 days between waterings as is, guess I'll let them go till I see wilt to try to kill the fuckers. Topped with diatomaceous earth and added some sticky traps. Have had a few yellowing lower leaves, can't determine if it's just from low light penetration, or an excess of gnats chewing my roots... I'm going with light because it's not really an infestation, just enough to make me wonder. Mostly just the 3 finger first leaves anyway, so not super concerned yet.... all that will come off come scrog time anyway.
The LSD (back left) seems to be showing signs of too much nitrogen, downcurling, dark leaves and slightly toasty tips... maybe it's just sensitive, it is a strong soil mix... maybe she got a bit that wasn't mixed the best. Not really feeding yet as they don't look like they need it. I did a very light seaweed feed after topping, that was weeks ago now. I did add a bit of epsom with the last watering because a couple had a few brown spots on some leaves.
I took everyone to the bathtub and did a nice spray down with lost coast, because odds are the first one didn't kill every last aphid that was on Cinderella XX, though I haven't seen any more, better safe than sorry.
Shaman seemed pissed about being topped, but seems ok now, has not pushed new growth up top, so maybe just a strain that shouldn't be topped... those Sativa doms can be picky.
Done some light lst on a few, Grandmommy Purple by accident, snapped her main stem, wrapped her in press and seal with some aloe, she's healed now and still taller than everyone else with a fraken-stem to boot. Laid a couple down for a few days to encourage upward growth... but now that we're all mushed together, probably just chill on the LST.
Might top or FIM again, not sure yet. We have about a month before we can go out, I might push that up a week depending on how they look, the weather, and if I can get my holes prepped. That's all for now folks.
OMG these look amazing!!!! I feel soooooo far behind since we’re both in NY 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤪
I’m envious of your skills!! But I’ll be following your grow for sure!!

Do direct plant in The ground?
I’m gonna attempt an outdoor SCROG like you did last year but I’m fighting with wether or not I wanna run 25gal pots again or dig holes fill With potting soil and plant in the ground…. Thoughts?

TSD

TSD

OMG these look amazing!!!! I feel soooooo far behind since we’re both in NY 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤪
I’m envious of your skills!! But I’ll be following your grow for sure!!

Do direct plant in The ground?
I’m gonna attempt an outdoor SCROG like you did last year but I’m fighting with wether or not I wanna run 25gal pots again or dig holes fill With potting soil and plant in the ground…. Thoughts?
Last year a few went directly in the ground, a few in buried 7 gal fabric pots to try and keep them smaller for stealth... which they grew through anyway of course.
Now that I know I can scrog successfully outside, I don't think I'll bother with burying pots, just make holes and fill them with soil. I don't usually do pots because I'm off adventuring a lot in summer and like them to be a bit more self sufficient as far as watering, if need be.

K

Kopper1013

Last year a few went directly in the ground, a few in buried 7 gal fabric pots to try and keep them smaller for stealth... which they grew through anyway of course.
Now that I know I can scrog successfully outside, I don't think I'll bother with burying pots, just make holes and fill them with soil. I don't usually do pots because I'm off adventuring a lot in summer and like them to be a bit more self sufficient as far as watering, if need be.
This was my problem last year, I had to have people constantly over to water and feed my girls who where drinking 5 gallons every other day at the end and it was difficult keeping up, especially with NY in a drought last year…I think the ground may prove to be easier but wasn’t sure your thoughts as we have a very similar climate

Reactions: TSD
Top Bottom