Turkey roasting bags to control odor?

• Thread starter bass ackwards
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bass ackwards

I have heard that those plastic bags that people use for roasting turkeys control odor. Supposedly the chemicals within the plastic which prevent the bag from melting in the oven have the ability to absorb the odor of cannabis

Has anyone else heard this? Is this true? It seems that hydro shops in NorCal are selling them by the case to growers. Could be a good thing if they work. Zip lock bags for quarter lbs. work only for a short time. These could possibly work longer or better.

Has anyone ever used "ironsacks" sold in Europe for the same purpose?

Respect bass

M

Max Powers

I thought it was because the bags were non-porous, but either way, they do work. the only bummer is there's no zipper or seal so you have to tie or tape the top.

Blaze

Blaze

They do not have the ability to absorb odor, but they are made with a harder, tougher food grade plastic. Because of this they do not impart that funky plastic smell that you will get with other plastic bags. Most plastic bags are made from soft plastic which is slightly porous and therefore not air tight. Also zip-locks are intentionally designed NOT to be air-tight which is why the suck so much for storage.

If you are going to use the turkey bags for storage, be sure to use two of them - just one layer will not be air tight cause them to dry out after a while. If you are looking for a 100% odor proof and air proof bag, then spend the extra money to buy a vac sealer - those are the best.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

Oven bags work like a charm. You can even cure in them, IMO. I agree that they will dry shit out after awhile, but i just open em up, flick in a little water off your fingers, seal em back up and bingo. Obviously not a long term solution but i dont let shit sit around that long either. My homie up north even burries his bags inside a 50 gal drum w. no problems.
You can always find smaller bags for qp's too. look for the ones that go inside a crock pot, they are just harder to tie up.

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

They definitely control odor. All the rage in Norcal. They don't treat your nugs too well though

O

ookiimata

Yeah, these bags will still permeate enough of the marijuana odor for dogs to be able to pick up on them. If you bag them immediately before moving the product, and are careful not to get anything on the outside of the bag, you'll probably be safe driving to your delivery with about a 24-48 hour window before the smell has permeated enough for the dog to pick up on. Just don't think you can store your buds in these bags and think it's a way to trick the dogs. They can smell marijuana through thick PVC stored inside a gas tank, so I'm sure an oven bag isn't going to fool them.

E

edux10

I havent heard of many people having problems with their product drying out in turkey bags. as long as they are tied at the top all is well.

I hear people using the term "bag cure" when their pot was still wet and they bagged if for a long time (sometimes not even that long) and the pot looks fine but has that fresh lawn clipping smell to it. sometimes it is not that bad but it is for sure something that you want to stay away from doing.

squarepusher

squarepusher

I havent heard of many people having problems with their product drying out in turkey bags. as long as they are tied at the top all is well.

I hear people using the term "bag cure" when their pot was still wet and they bagged if for a long time (sometimes not even that long) and the pot looks fine but has that fresh lawn clipping smell to it. sometimes it is not that bad but it is for sure something that you want to stay away from doing.

i think its more used for storage and transportation than for curing

B

bass ackwards

Thanks all for the replies. My main concern is for transportation not storage.
several options have been suggested guess as my dad used to say "there's more than one way to skin a cat." No offense to pet owners.

Respect bass

O

ookiimata

Just a coincidence, but last night I read a post from a recently-busted grower. He was transporting a couple pounds double wrapped in turkey roasting bags and then double wrapped in garbage bags, and when he was pulled over for a tail light, he said the cop was able to smell the cannabis. Didn't even need a dog.

H

HappyGrower

I bought a $60 vacuume sealer at my local walmart, and it works like a charm! One of the better investments that i have made.

Take Care :talking

S

SRHninja

hmmm i wonder if the guy who got busted had the bud in the bags longer than that 24-48 hr window...

and i heard putting duct tape sticky side up and rolling it in baking soda and then retaping sticky side down will eliminate order??

Latest posts

Top Bottom