Turning my desk into a grow box

• Thread starter KoR
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KoR

school teachers desk, made out of metal that locks all drawers when you lock the middle drawer that holds pens and stuff like that.

Drawers are on rails, so i can pull the plants out to me to work on them

Dimensions:
Left side drawer: 19"H X 14 & 3/4"W 29 & 1/2"D
right side drawer: 19"H X 14 & 3/4"W 29 & 1/2"D

Right side is veg, left side will be flower

What can i use to drill out 4inch intakes and exhaust in the metal?

A

alphaferret

prob a nice hole saw should work as long as its for metal as well as wood

D

DaddyFatSacks

id just get a Metal drill bit and start drilling small holes in a circle then just punch it out, may need some metal cutters but if u get the holes close enough together I'm sure u could just use some heafty wire cutters to nip between the holes.
My one concern is how r u gonna light seal the drawers? most people ditch the drawers and make a fake front with the drawer panels that open like a door. from what i read u cant really do that.
just some thoughts that came to mind, hope all works well and hope to see u up and growing soon

DaddyFatSacks:pimp:

K

KoR

id just get a Metal drill bit and start drilling small holes in a circle then just punch it out, may need some metal cutters but if u get the holes close enough together I'm sure u could just use some heafty wire cutters to nip between the holes.
My one concern is how r u gonna light seal the drawers? most people ditch the drawers and make a fake front with the drawer panels that open like a door. from what i read u cant really do that.
just some thoughts that came to mind, hope all works well and hope to see u up and growing soon

I took the top drawer from the left side and detached the face from the drawer itself by removing two screws, then i attached it to the top of the bottom drawer with Self Drilling sheet metal screws. Then i took metal tape and covered the cracks, then covered the metal take with duct tape.

This is how i'm going to light proof

7/8th thick pieces of oak i ripped and secured to the inside of the left side drawer, it hits flush so the top drawer can't be pushed in.

On the strips of wood and back side of the drawer, i will put weather stripping (foam tape) like this stuff -

foam-tape.jpg

so when i close the drawer, it creates a light seal. :)

I Done this on my old box at it worked like a charm.

My desk looks like this
241_NSL_4_drawer_teachers_desk.jpg

so when i lock the middle drawer, it locks all of them.

D

DaddyFatSacks

sweet, i use the same foam weather stripping for my box too, works great. also i have grown with a 150w hps, a 4 inch fan should be good, i used a 50cfm bathroom fan to cool my 150 cab and it stayed cool. U seem to have this on lock so i'm excited to see ur grow

oh and this is what i got from my 150 (if u don't mind) for a little inspiration

DaddyFatSacks:cool0041:

Rsz 1160 day92
K

KoR

Very nice plant!

I'm going to be doing a scrog too! -- first time tho (for scrog setup) I Was working on a scrog screen today and i was using ripped 1x2's, it was only supposed to be 12" wide, but in a hurry i didn't allow for the extra inch and i built it too wide and have it already nailed together, so i have to start again tomorrow :(

D

DaddyFatSacks

lol, been there done that, the screen i have in the pic is probably like 10inch by 14 inch and I stole it from a mini fridge so i didn't have to make one. Actually that was my first scrog too, turned out better then i expected i ended up getting a little under 3 1/2 0unces dried from the one plant. I have done a couple scrogs sense and imo it is the only way to go if you have a small grow box, props to you for doing ur research!

K

KoR

lol, been there done that, the screen i have in the pic is probably like 10inch by 14 inch and I stole it from a mini fridge so i didn't have to make one. Actually that was my first scrog too, turned out better then i expected i ended up getting a little under 3 1/2 0unces dried from the one plant. I have done a couple scrogs sense and imo it is the only way to go if you have a small grow box, props to you for doing ur research!

My last grow was when hg420 was still around, i've done allot of research in the past but never tried it because i was fortunate to have a pretty good sized grow cab, but now i just can't do it like i did before and it must be kept micro because the misses said so ... lol

I could have grown outdoors at anytime, but i'm more comfortable growing indoors because i don't feel like a ninja trying to get to my plot and it doesn't feel like i'm being watched.

I Have bipolar and this have helped me better then any meds i have taken and she knows that and thus is why she is letting me grow again because the only source i got to get meds isn't really that good (well to me atleast) and harsh, i must of ruined myself because i cant feel any effects anymore unless it's highgrade, even after a year layoff from smoking, still don't feel anything, i don't even get the munchies, Only thing i get is a sore throat. :(

D

DaddyFatSacks

Must be getting some shity shit lol, maybe some good homegrown is just what the doc ordered. My other half is one of the reasons I started growing in the first place, MommaFatSacks smokes a lot of refer,lol, just couldn't keep up with the prices. Now i grow for pennies a day, so much more rewording to smoke ur own bud.

K

KoR

Ordered AN: Bud Candy and Piranha today, Still deciding on lighting. CFL or 150hps? Growing medium will be coco coir. i always had nice results in the past using the AN stuff with Coco Coir.

D

DaddyFatSacks

Man i'd say pick up a cheap 150hps, it will be worth it, plus u can always use cfl's for some supplemental lighting and for the short veg time, i got a 150w hps ballast kit for like 50 bucks from a site that sold warehouse lighting. Just my thoughts

K

KoR

Man i'd say pick up a cheap 150hps, it will be worth it, plus u can always use cfl's for some supplemental lighting and for the short veg time, i got a 150w hps ballast kit for like 50 bucks from a site that sold warehouse lighting. Just my thoughts

150HPS is what i have been leaning towards. but you know, i may build a new desk out of particle board. Ill have a top cabinet over my desk that will work as a PS3/360 game and DVD movie holder (really will hold games and movies) but it will be on hidden latches and a keylock on the side, and if someone asks me "Why is there so much space in the back?" i can always tell them other mini-shelves for movies/games etc.. that slide out and and swing open.. If they ask me to show them, i'll tell them i have got it installed yet, i just left the extra space to do it.

I May do this, because i got to wait a few months anyways cause i'm getting new carpet in the house by december. I'll draw up something.

If i build my own desk and take this one out to my shop, i'll have much, much more head room.

Top Bottom