Twisted curling new growth at various stages

• Thread starter MrMackey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrMackey

MrMackey

Hi all been struggling abit with this one for a while got this weird twisting of leaves I see it in the veg room once the plants are around 3/4weeks old from cutting sometimes accompanied with slightly woody purple striped stems but not always, and happens on my gorrila and og cut during flower usually 2 weeks into flower it starts then fan leaves will start to die rapidly which then stops around week 4/5 the plants will then either finish ok or get a really deformed bud that’s foxtail looking. Most of this stuff looks like heat stress but no matter how cool I run the room or how far I keep the lights it’s always happening
Twisted curling new growth at various stages

That’s my og mother showing the twisting
Twisted curling new growth at various stages 3

and close up of it
Twisted curling new growth at various stages 2

That’s one og in flower the twisting is now accompanied by rust spots which appeared 5 weeks into flower (tried upping calmag)

some details of the veg room
Plants grown under 600w mh kept around 20-24” above
In coco 70/30perlite mix
Hand watered using advanced 3part, roots excellurator, cannazyme, supervit, plantmagic calmag ay 1ml/L total ec 1.2 young-1.6 established plants ph 5.7-6.1
Room temps 24/25 day 20/21 night
Rh 45-60% min max on the thermostat always around 50 when I see it

the flower room
1000w de gavitas dimmed to 800w plants start 6ft away wen flipped grow to be 3/4ft away after stretch
Bottom fed coco/perlite alien easy feed system
Ionic coco bloom, calmag 0.5-1.5ml per l (tried up and down but giving 1ml currently) Buddhas tree additives pk 9/18 metaboost silicone flowerburst as directed ph 5.8-6.3 although some mornings ph in the res is insane 4.x Or 7.x so could be getting the odd fucked up feed in the night? This is a non recirculated system so don’t understand when these random ph things happen?
Day temps 26-29
Night 20-22
Co2 ppm 800
Rh 47-62 min max

any ideas?

Twisted curling new growth at various stages 4
Twisted curling new growth at various stages 5
Twisted curling new growth at various stages 6
Bmg1982

Bmg1982

The stippling on your plants in pic 3 is typical with mite feeding sites... not sure what those white spots are on some of your fans, maybe thrips, two spot eggs, etc.

Seems your plants made it through flowering. My advice would be to get a scope in the 50-100x range and try to identify your pests, focus on the underside of leaves as well when looking for micro mites. Most of your pests can be see via the naked eye so you can start there as well.

Familiarize yourself with an IPM for future grows. Once you discover what pests you are dealing with, you can plan a treatment, as your somewhat limited on options when it comes to flowering.

MrMackey

MrMackey

The stippling on your plants in pic 3 is typical with mite feeding sites... not sure what those white spots are on some of your fans, maybe thrips, two spot eggs, etc.

Seems your plants made it through flowering. My advice would be to get a scope in the 50-100x range and try to identify your pests, focus on the underside of leaves as well when looking for micro mites. Most of your pests can be see via the naked eye so you can start there as well.

Familiarize yourself with an IPM for future grows. Once you discover what pests you are dealing with, you can plan a treatment, as your somewhat limited on options when it comes to flowering.
Thanks for the reply mate, please don’t take it the wrong way but it’s not mites I’ve had the worst experiences possible regarding spider mites and a differnt spot and although it’s looks almost identical to the damage they cause fortunately this time it’s not that the spots came up about 2weeks starting from the top/mid of the plant and it’s only affecting my gorrila flies and og the other 2 strains in there are fine (the glues not quite as bad as the og) almost certain it’s to do with calcium just not sure if I need more or less or lockout?
I use Spinosad monthly as a precaution as this place has had thrips a few times aswel as nematodes watered in monthly touch wood I have seen pests in a long while

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

The cyclamen/broad/russet mite is nothing like the two spot, and will require its own program. You will require magnification to identify. Spinosad will do nothing to defeat those. That stippling came from somewhere, and I'm sure your plant isn't infected with TMV.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

My advice is to spend some time on the Google machine researching cyclamen mites so you know what to look for, and the tell tale signs that they may be there.

MrMackey

MrMackey

Thanks a lot for this mate I’ll have a deep look into these and order a stronger magnifier and report back

HiDaze

HiDaze

Could be a nute imbalance. How familiar are you with each strain / nute requirements?

I have seen folks dive into 3 stage nutes with great success on 1 strain but the next couldn't handle the load.

Typically recommend erring on the side of caution - if you're certain pests are not the root cause - start with a flush and reintroduce nutes after checking your medium ph / ppm.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Good luck bro. I don't comment on nutrient threads, way to many variables. I find forums useful for taking people's input, applying my own research, then applying that research to my environment. The only thing I see concrete from your pics is pests, and I feel it's only common courtesy to point that out.

I've seen a massive trend in these types of mites the last few years and spend a bit of time helping people amongst my growing circle conquer these things.

A lot of these issues are environmental, and come in via wind, white flies or your pets and stump even most experienced grower as they did me once.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Could be a nute imbalance. How familiar are you with each strain / nute requirements?

I have seen folks dive into 3 stage nutes with great success on 1 strain but the next couldn't handle the load.

Typically recommend erring on the side of caution - if you're certain pests are not the root cause - start with a flush and reintroduce nutes after checking your medium ph / ppm.
"Could be" isn't as concrete as visible pest damage. Checking ppm runoff is fine as well, but he needs to get out a scope and identify his pests before going any further with his course of treatment.

MrMackey

MrMackey

Thanks for chiiming in boys I’ll grab a microscope before I rule pests out completely only things making me dismiss is so far is it only happens on certain strains the gg#4 I’ve had a long time and never had it looking perfect for an entire grow its very fussy, the og is new it’s my 1st time growing it however other strains I got in there are textbook perfect having 0 problems I’ve grown a long time but open to all guesses as I’ve been stumped for a while and always looking to improve and hopefuly someone with the same problem will find this and help them too

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Here are my thoughts...

I think your bug problem is something very recent. If a broad infestation would've showed during veg, you would've never got this far in flower. Your plants in ripening help keep the colonies down.

Terpenes play a significant roll in a plants ability to defend itself against herbivores. Linalool is a terpene that is commonly used in miticides. Linalool is usually the terp we associate with the flavor of your Blueberry cultivars, and etc.

Blue Dream is the most commercially grown crop out west. Why is that? Because it yields a shit ton, and it's naturally more resistant to pests due to its linalool content. A pest free grow, will always give you the best results.

Some strains, especially in flower are just more resistant to bugs.

Hope you get it all squared away.

Bmg1982

Bmg1982

Hence the last paragraph.. "if you're certain it's not pests".
What's your point? There is nothing wrong with practicing proper IPM, with or without bugs. I'm yet to see one in my grow for years, yet every week I still stick to my same foggings. Prevention is key, makes life easier then fixing the mess when they show up, and start ruining your work.

Buckethead129

Buckethead129

Hey guys, this is one of my first posts. I am in coast of Maine stonington mix/raised bed mix (50:50 ratio) — my new growth seems to be twisting a little bit to.. for me that always points to high pH. I’m gonna go check my slurry later and go grab some acid or base

IMG 2508
IMG 2511

Latest posts

Top Bottom